Leaf Degradation maybe not that bad???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is another post about this "study" somewhere on the forum. The study was really flawed in terms of number of cars, location of cars, miles driven, etc. with no attempt to normalize the data. I think the one 2015 LEAF that was included in the study was from a hot climate and probably was stored at full charge for extended time. A lump of coal might be more appropriate for this study than even a box of salt! I will post comparison of 2011 (replacement battery), 2015, and 2019 Plus after I have a full year of data on the 2019.

Edited to add: I could not find the reference to 2012 when I went back to look at the study again so I deleted references to it from this post.

Yes, the study is referenced here in an attempt to refute what I've been saying about the 30kwh packs. It's sort of like saying "That Yugo isn't a Lemon - here's a study that shows it's extremely reliable. Now let's get back to pushing, shall we?"

Here is a similar view from a New Zealand study...its data looks pretty close to the other one.

https://flipthefleet.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/SoHByModelByYearPerctile202006.png

I might suggest, in spite of our anecdotal point, this is getting enough data to be relevant.

For the 2018-2020 battery, I do hear reference of the 40 having a workable capacity of 34-35 and the 62 having 55 available...if that's the mark then the first 6 months you get a bonus range, which then is moved into buffer.

The 2011 and 2012 battery are the same (except for the battery heater) unit, but are shown with very different degradation rates. The 2013 battery isn't divided into previous chemistry and new chemistry, so the results for those are averaged together. Amateur hour stuff.

Mature or not, the data is consistent with GEOTAB. I does make me curious as to how the batteries are measured vs. other cars, as this would make me think the Leaf is over penalized for degradation, and other cars (Bolt, Tesla, etc..) are under penalized..or appropriately measured.

Back