Nissan Connect on 2016 leaf import to Canada from the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexm

Hi everyone! I've bought a Nissan Leaf 2016 30kWh at a local dealership here in Canada about a week ago. The car is an import from the US. Because of that, I can't seem to get any signal to from Nissan Connect. Everytime I try to enter my id and password information into the log in section of Nissan Connect, it says no connection. Also, a crossed out car symbol can be seen on top right of the display meaning that the car is not connected to the network.

After speaking to the customer service, I was told on multiple occasions that since it's a US model, it can only connect to US towers. However I heard that the 2016 model already has the 3g TCU unit built-in so I don't understand why it would be impossible to connect to Canadian towers. If anyone else has the same issues please let me know and most importantly if you think there is a way to fix this. Thank you!

I have the same issue with my 2016 SL and was about to ask the same question. There is a thread on getting NissanConnect to work on US models imported to Canada somewhere, but the more recent posts are dominated by discussion of how to get the 3G upgrade done for older models. Has anyone successfully got this to work on a 2016?

Did you create an account on the Nissan Connect Canada website, or on the US site? If memory serves (it's been awhile), you need to create an account on the Canadian site, then use that account when activating the TCU in the vehicle. Also, I think you have to first delete any existing US account as the VIN can be associated with only one account.

Have you called the EV hotline yet?

1-855-426-6628

I registered on both the Canadian and US NissanConnect sites (the latter required a fake address). The Canadian site says "VIN not found in our records", the US site flags something as not matching the information on file and returns an error requesting upload of proof of ownership. I did try to call the Canadian help line number (1-855-426-6628), but the CSR said she couldn't (or didn't want to?) help me with a US origin car. Not sure how the US site would react if I tried to upload a Canadian registration.

That's normal with the US site, you need to prove ownership. Just give the US EV hotline a call, don't say anything about being Canadian, and send them the proof of ownership they require. Once they have the VIN added to your US account, delete the CA account and try activating the TCU with your US account credentials.

See this thread too: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23248

I have created a Nissan account (the US one) and followed the instructions that I found in this link: http://www.jnauto.com/hybrides_lien_carwing_usa.php . The instructions are in French and are from a car dealer here in Quebec that sells imported Nissan Leaf cars. It's pretty much written to contact Nissan USA, ask them to link the car to your account by providing them with your VIN and a proof of ownership, and most importantly write Vermont with the specific postal code as your address. I assume they chose Vermont since maybe it has something to do with proximity of Vermont to Quebec and that it would allow the car to "connect to US towers". So I followed the instruction to the letter but in vain. The car still shows a crossed out symbol on top right of the screen and I still can't connect to Nissan Connect.

Just on a side note, I received my car without the maps sd card. The dealership I bought my Leaf from is supposed to mail it to me shortly. So I was thinking that maybe me not being able to connect has something to do with that, unlikely but hopefully that's the issue.

Just on a side note, I received my car without the maps sd card. The dealership I bought my Leaf from is supposed to mail it to me shortly. So I was thinking that maybe me not being able to connect has something to do with that, unlikely but hopefully that's the issue.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that that is it.

So I got the car added to the US account and got a user ID and password, but I'm getting a "no service" error when I try to sign the car in. Has all connectivity for US Leafs outside the USA been completely disabled now?

So I got the car added to the US account and got a user ID and password, but I'm getting a "no service" error when I try to sign the car in. Has all connectivity for US Leafs outside the USA been completely disabled now?

I am having the exact same issue. So today I finally received the maps sd card, but as expected, I still got the same "no service" message. Today I was also 50 km away from the us border and I was hoping to get some kind of signal but I didn't. My next option is to book an appointment with a Nissan dealership to see what's up.

alexm said:

I am having the exact same issue. So today I finally received the maps sd card, but as expected, I still got the same "no service" message. Today I was also 50 km away from the us border and I was hoping to get some kind of signal but I didn't. My next option is to book an appointment with a Nissan dealership to see what's up.

Who was your car dealer you bought the car from ?

I just bought a used Leaf and had the same issue with the SD card missing...

Also- did you fix your Nissan Connect ?

Thanks

Did anyone get this figured out? I have a 2016 SL imported from Washington (Seattle) to Vancouver BC. Called Nissan Connect Canada # (1-855-426-6628) and they said it couldn't be activated in Canada as the US models will only connect to the AT&T (or similar) towers and not the Rogers towers in Canada the the Canadian models connect to. So now I'm dead in the water.

Nissan are lying, but there's nothing we can do about it.

When I first imported my 2013 LEAF from WA, Nissan Connect (CarWings) worked everywhere in greater Vancouver. There's no way it was using AT&T roaming to do, as I live in Port Moody. I'm pretty sure it connected to Rogers network.

Anyways, once the 3G was phased out it stopped working. I booked an appointment with a local Nissan Dealership and that got bumped a couple of times until the dealer called back with a definitive explanation - Nissan corporate said they were forbidden to upgrade the TCU on US cars in Canada.

Nissan seems to be cynically using this as a tactic to dissuade Canadians from importing US cars.

Having said all that, Nissan Connect was so buggy and intermittent that it was more frustrating than useful. I don't miss it...

It appears that Nissan has taken steps to prevent imported US cars from working in Canada. I would image that they don't like paying the international roaming fees to AT&T.

I'm in a similar situation. I just bought a 2015 SL that was a previous US import so Carwings or Nissan Connect does not work. The local Nissan dealer where I am in Ontario seems to think a fix in in the works as there are lots (hundreds) of Leafs being imported into Quebec by dealers. The Quebec provincial government is offering $4000 rebate on used EVs, so long as another rebate hasn't been applied to the car at an earlier date. The imports fit the criteria. So, strength in numbers may convince Nissan Canada to find a fix. Here's hoping! :)

We purchased a 2016 SL about a month ago that was imported from Washington state. I phoned Nissan USA and provided proof of ownership and we got an account set up on the Nissan USA owners website. When I try and sign in on the car with the pin and password nothing happens. I've given up. I did have a thought though that maybe if you were closer to the border not in roaming range if it would connect?

Hi, Any update on this? I purchased about 2 weeks ago a 2016 Nissan Leaf SV in Montreal Quebec. The car is imported from California. Created my NissanConnect USA account but the VIN was associated with the previous California owner. The online chat support was super helpful and quick and after I provided proof of purchase he reset the VIN and now I see the car associated with my account. It gave me a username and PIN but it has not worked in the car as I have the grayed out with the red cross in the status bar. Any way to fix this?

I have a similar experience with my 2016. I called Nissan yesterday and the lady was very helpful. We setup a US account, everything works except getting the car to connect (like everyone else's experience above). What the lady from Nissan said is I have to be in the USA to get the original connection, I believe from there that their system will see it as a US car traveling in Canada.

I am fortunate that I live outside of Vancouver and travel to Washington regularly (well I used to as gas is up to 40% cheaper there). I'm hoping to go down in the next week or so and see if it works.

For those that live near the border if it works, it is an easy workaround.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test it.

Back