Page 7 of 10

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:57 pm
by dpodoll
LEAFfan wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:The displayed miles/kWh from the center console reads about two tenths higher.
Mine used to show .2 higher too until lately. Now, I've seen it the same and sometimes only .1 higher. For some reason, it never goes .2 higher anymore.
Mine got real accurate after the CW TSP update

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:33 pm
by JPWhite
planet4ever wrote:However, you have overlooked a couple of important points:
  1. Your 3.12 is wall to wheels and the 21 is battery. There is a significant loss in getting electricity from the wall to the battery, perhaps 15% when using L2 charging.
Good point, I had indeed looked over that. Wow 15% loss is quite a bit. As you pointed out later I kinda lucked into a decent set of range numbers.

FYI the dash reads 3.9 Miles/kWh, which with 21kWh capacity indicates 81 or 65 miles range. It seems optimistic to me. My wife took a 52 mile journey last weekend, left with approx 90% charge, which according to the dash would yield 71 miles. She got home after consuming part of the second bar, I don't believe she could have got another 19 miles out of the vehicle.

I always try to avoid using the two bottom bars of power. So far we've only dipped into it 3 times in the first 6 weeks of ownership, and have never totally depleted or got any low battery warnings. So far only 3 trips had to be done with the ICE car due to being out of range.

As for modifying driving to get better mileage. I am working on better braking form. The energy info on the dash shows I am braking harder than the 30Kw regeneration capability the car has, so gentler/longer braking and/or coasting should help some.

As for accelerating and speed. Not sure I'll do much behavior modification there :-)

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:05 pm
by planet4ever
JPWhite wrote:I always try to avoid using the two bottom bars of power. So far we've only dipped into it 3 times in the first 6 weeks of ownership, and have never totally depleted or got any low battery warnings.
If you are going to avoid using the four bottom bars - the two you can see and the two below that you can't see - then you are limiting yourself to not using the bottom 30% of the battery, rather than the bottom 15% as I had suggested.

I usually try to keep my battery between 20% and 80% charged, which really means between ½ bar (looks like 1) and 9½ bars (looks like 10). If I need more than that I charge to 100% and have no concerns about dipping a bit into the second (very low battery) warning.

Ray

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm
by TonyWilliams
JPWhite wrote: FYI the dash reads 3.9 Miles/kWh, which with 21kWh capacity indicates 81 or 65 miles range. It seems optimistic to me. My wife took a 52 mile journey last weekend, left with approx 90% charge, which according to the dash would yield 71 miles. She got home after consuming part of the second bar, I don't believe she could have got another 19 miles out of the vehicle.
Honestly, if you're trying to correlate the dash "guess" with reality, you're just wasting your time. That 71 miles number you saw could have been 100 miles just as easily on the Guess-O-Meter. I recommend not using it at all.

Yes, your 3.9 miles/kWh (from the dash gauge) will, in fact, take you that 81 miles, if, and only if, the terrain if mostly flat, no significant heat or cooling, no elevation changes, etc.

She absolutely could have gotten 19 more miles out of that car, and when there was only one bar remaining, about 15 miles, and then about 12 miles when the first Low Battery Warning came on, and then about 5 miles when Very Low Battery comes on.

Again, within the context stated above. I've reproduced those numbers with my car many, many times.

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm
by LEAFfan
JPWhite wrote:FYI the dash reads 3.9 Miles/kWh, which with 21kWh capacity indicates 81 or 65 miles range. It seems optimistic to me. My wife took a 52 mile journey last weekend, left with approx 90% charge, which according to the dash would yield 71 miles. She got home after consuming part of the second bar, I don't believe she could have got another 19 miles out of the vehicle.
3.9 X 21 (100% charge) = 81-82 mile range. Where are you getting 65? Remember, there are two invisible bars left after zero visible bars so she should have been able to go the 71 miles @ 3.9m/kW h.

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:44 pm
by planet4ever
TonyWilliams wrote:
JPWhite wrote: FYI the dash reads 3.9 Miles/kWh, which with 21kWh capacity indicates 81 or 65 miles range. It seems optimistic to me. My wife took a 52 mile journey last weekend, left with approx 90% charge, which according to the dash would yield 71 miles. She got home after consuming part of the second bar, I don't believe she could have got another 19 miles out of the vehicle.
Honestly, if you're trying to correlate the dash "guess" with reality, you're just wasting your time. That 71 miles number you saw could have been 100 miles just as easily on the Guess-O-Meter. I recommend not using it at all.
No, he wasn't using that, Tony. He was calculating 3.9 * 21 * 90%.
TonyWilliams wrote:She absolutely could have gotten 19 more miles out of that car
I agree. Using your chart, she was at about 28% to 30% when she got home. That meant she got 52 miles out of maybe 62%, so she could have gone about 17 more miles before she got Very Low Battery at 8.5%, and 5 miles beyond that before Turtle. And that is without modifying her driving, such as slowing down.

Ray

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:52 pm
by JPWhite
planet4ever wrote:
JPWhite wrote:I always try to avoid using the two bottom bars of power. So far we've only dipped into it 3 times in the first 6 weeks of ownership, and have never totally depleted or got any low battery warnings.
If you are going to avoid using the four bottom bars - the two you can see and the two below that you can't see - then you are limiting yourself to not using the bottom 30% of the battery, rather than the bottom 15% as I had suggested.

I usually try to keep my battery between 20% and 80% charged, which really means between ½ bar (looks like 1) and 9½ bars (looks like 10). If I need more than that I charge to 100% and have no concerns about dipping a bit into the second (very low battery) warning.

Ray
OK I knew to keep it between 20-80% charge if at all possible. Sounds like I am being too conservative with the 'red bars' thinking they were my danger zone :-) Red means stop where I come from :-)

That's good to know I've got quite a bit extra if I run it low on the gauge.

JP

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm
by planet4ever
The only red bars on the right side of the dash are the battery capacity bars at the outer edge of the display. When you get down to them your battery has degraded to no more than 28% of the capacity it was originally shipped with. No one is going to want to drive the car that long without replacing the battery cells.

Ray

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:01 pm
by davewill
Just to show the worthlessness of the Guess-o-meter...I had an appointment yesterday, 18 miles away, plus ten home while all I had was barely three bars, GOM at 21. I called ahead and the folks there agreed to let me plug in, so I decided to "chance it". I arrived there approx 2 miles into "Low battery", with one bar, reading 5 miles on the GOM. I plugged in (L1) for an hour and a quarter, left still with one bar, but now 8 miles on the GOM. Ten miles and 400 feet down and back up, and I arrive at home, reading 4 miles on the GOM, and the last bar had either just gone or was gone when I updated the Android app, I don't remember which. I was expecting "Very Low Battery" any moment.

Re: What SOC% does each bar on Leaf dash represent ?

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:11 pm
by surfingslovak
davewill wrote:I was expecting "Very Low Battery" any moment.
Interesting! Would you happen to know what the trip energy economy (miles/kWh) was?