NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I could not find this in search so I thought I would post it. I see the threads about this subject but thought I would post it for those who have not seen it yet. Sorry for the repeat. Montana's ATT towers are almost all 3g now.
I will miss turning on my heater......

CARWINGS® requires compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Nissan's control. AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will terminate 2G network availability. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, CARWINGS will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Nissan cannot guarantee. Nissan not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued CARWINGS operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks
:eek:

edit: merged yet again

When I bought my LEAF two months ago, I spoke with Nissan Customer Service about this disclaimer. I was told that they are working on new equipment to replace the 2G antenna and my car would be covered to have it replaced but no other details on it.

The 2G in my area is a little shady in most parts and hope that I get the new equipment before the 2G gives up on me.

What part of the world are you in? I'm in Oregon and the 2G works , but, as with most older machines and tech, it is SLOOOWWW. Would I pay to have my 2014 'upgraded' to keep Carwings going? Yes, but it needs to be pretty cheap. I could go as high as 50 bucks. one-time fee. part and labor. Let the negotiating begin!

I get a little benefit with monitoring charging so i can go move my car out of a public spot. Oregon has an 'active re-fueling' anti-ICEing law now. And I enjoy preheating or cooling using the Carwings app. More than $50 to continue this and I'll just wing it (bad pun) without Carwings. and if it is a subscription/monthly I'm out altogether. No thanks to that.

In reality, 'CARWINGS' (and I haven't checked it recently as far as the actual interface screen in my '12 but as that's probably just stored locally doubt if it changed) itself is technically gone and has been replaced by the new NissanConnectEV; still uses AT&T 2G and in some cases, it appears to work better in the earlier model years than the newest but will be interesting to see what long term solution Nissan will offer; will it simply 'cutoff' all the earlier model years or upgrade all LEAF's so they keep the flow of EV usage info going to Nissan ... we'll see; as the '11's and many of the '12's are past their warranties perhaps that will be the cutoff. If you have enough advance notice, I guess I could set the pre-heat/pre-cool timers in the car (major thing I would miss) but the smart phone app is quite handy for these; I had an ICE with a remote starter and loved it in the winter; of course pre-heat/pre-cool in your garage isn't recommended of course with an ICE but just like pre-planning your EV range, this routine could be added

This was worth a new thread as I'm sure others may get the same email soon from Nissan but more details won't come out until this summer --

2-29-2016 8-48-56 AM.jpg

Still nothing specific on when they'll fix the security flaw but that's already covered in another thread ... I would wonder how much this swap and/or update will cost the owner but we'll all need to wait a bit ...

MODERATORS NOTE: Merge duplicate threads.

Attachments

• 2-29-2016 8-49-44 AM.jpg
    2-29-2016 8-49-44 AM.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,818
I also received an email from Nissan about NissanConnect EV but because I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf sv the will install for free :)
If you desire to continue to utilize NissanConnect EV after the 2G network becomes unavailable, you will need to have the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) in your vehicle updated. For owners of model year 2015 Nissan LEAF vehicles who are interested in continuing to use NissanConnect EV, Nissan plans to cover the parts and labor costs to install the new hardware in your vehicle. Nissan expects to be able to communicate details regarding the process to update your vehicle in late summer 2016.

Got it as well!

This is what I heard from Nissan when I purchased my car, but they didn't release the information on when they were going to do it. I am glad that my battery checkup is around the same time!

I received the NissanConnectEV email as well this morning. I'm glad to hear they still plan on providing an update for MY 2011 Leafs. I'm curious if they'll offer any additional upgrades to the infotainment system so we can have the same features as the MY 2016.

I am 2016 SV 30Kwh owner and I did not receive such an email. This confirms what I was told - the 2016 model indeed has a 3G modem in it...the telematics system in the 2016 is already updated keeping in mind the turning off of the 2G network in the near future.

I just received an email from Nissan.

We are contacting you with an important update regarding upcoming cellular network changes and how these changes will affect your access to NissanConnect EV, formerly CARWINGS, in your 2012 Nissan LEAF. Depending upon your interest, this update may require you to take some action.

The NissanConnect EV features available on your vehicle will be affected by the planned discontinuation of the 2G cellular network by our service provider, AT&T. Specifically, after December 31, 2016, the 2G network will be unavailable and your vehicle will be unable to access NissanConnect EV features such as Remote Climate Control and Driving History.

If you have not already enrolled, but are interested in doing so, please enroll in NissanConnect EV as soon as possible - you must enroll before June 30, 2016 to activate the service for utilization on the 2G network through December 31, 2016.**

If you desire to continue to utilize NissanConnect EV after the 2G network becomes unavailable, you will need to have the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) in your vehicle updated. For owners of model years 2011-2014 LEAF vehicles who are interested in continuing to use NissanConnect EV, Nissan plans to cover a substantial portion of the costs for parts and installation of the updated hardware. Nissan expects to be able to communicate details regarding the options to update your vehicle in late summer 2016.

NissanConnect EV provides a suite of electric vehicle exclusive features such as State of Charge and Remote Charging allowing you to manage your Nissan LEAF from almost anywhere you need to be. With NissanConnect EV you can view your current estimated driving range, the estimated amount of time needed for charging completion as well as your driving history.

Nissan is committed to working with you to make this transition as seamless as possible. We look forward to staying connected with you through NissanConnect EV. If you have any questions, please contact us at 877-664-2738 or view a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) at NissanUSA.com/connect/faq.

Best Regards,
Nissan Owner Services

Thanks for sharing. Mine was in spam, I would have never seen it.

I am completely surprised that they are even offering one, and I am happy again. I was ready to roll my own, but as long as my portion that isn't covered by Nissan is less than $1K, I'll be happy.

Great to know, thanx!
I don't think I get e-mails from Nissan at all about these type of things..
Probably because I bought used or it's an older car...
(Or I have some setting for those types of notifications disabled by mistake..)

desiv

The FAQ says the replacement modem will be 3G only (not LTE) so it'll need to be replaced again, probably in around 5 years (ATT hasn't announced when it will turn off 3G, but it probably won't be that much longer than Verizon which announced they will be turning off 3G in 2021)... and I doubt Nissan will offer a replacement for 1st generation Leafs by then.

I'm considering not doing the modem replacement, unless it's under $100. It's good they offer the option but it feels like upgrading an old laptop from 802.11g to 802.11n (it's still a generation behind and like holding a broken bumper cover on with duct tape: a temporary solution after an accident)... Carwings has been interesting but not exactly indispensable, especially because it's hampered by unreliability caused by the horrible cellular signal strength where we park most (in our garage or underground workplace garages). Why couldn't they put Wi-Fi in it as a secondary connection? On that note, why couldn't they do non-mechanical software checks like the battery check over the modem from anywhere instead of us having to make trips to the dealership? Maybe they'll change that on next gen Leafs... another reason to lease EVs (they are kind of like smartphones right now: cutting edge and antiquated in 3-5 years).

I also received an email but I own a 2015 SV and apparently Nissan will cover the entire cost of the upgrade assuming I want it.

We are contacting you with an important update regarding upcoming cellular network changes and how these changes will affect your access to NissanConnect EV, formerly CARWINGS, in your 2015 Nissan LEAF. Depending upon your interest, this update may require you to take some action.

The NissanConnect EV features available on your vehicle will be affected by the planned discontinuation of the 2G network by our service provider, AT&T. Specifically, after December 31, 2016, the 2G network will be unavailable and your vehicle will be unable to access NissanConnect EV features such as Remote Climate Control and Driving History.

If you have not already enrolled, but are interested in doing so, please enroll in NissanConnect EV as soon as possible - you must enroll before June 30, 2016 to activate the service for utilization on the 2G network through December 31, 2016.**

If you desire to continue to utilize NissanConnect EV after the 2G network becomes unavailable, you will need to have the Telematics Control Unit (TCU) in your vehicle updated. For owners of model year 2015 Nissan LEAF vehicles who are interested in continuing to use NissanConnect EV, Nissan plans to cover the parts and labor costs to install the new hardware in your vehicle. Nissan expects to be able to communicate details regarding the process to update your vehicle in late summer 2016. :D

NissanConnect EV provides a suite of electric vehicle exclusive features such as State of Charge and Remote Charging allowing you to manage your Nissan LEAF from almost anywhere you need to be. With NissanConnect EV you can view your current estimated driving range, the estimated amount of time needed for charging completion as well as your driving history.

Nissan is committed to working with you to make this transition as seamless as possible. We look forward to staying connected with you through NissanConnect EV. If you have any questions, please contact us at 877-664-2738 or view a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) at NissanUSA.com/connect/faq.

Best Regards,
Nissan Owner Services

I got an email and a hard copy in the mail today as well. I have to say for me the magic number is less than $1k as well. Will have to see what the offer is whenever the end of summer occurs. However with their track record on the battery prices I am a little skeptical of it. Hopefully we can be upgraded to the new head units in the 2016 cars which would be awesome. I think based on what Phil was saying about his reverse engineering of things that all of the units in the car are essentially built to work as one unit. So I think they would have to completely upgrade the screen/infotainment unit of the car, and whatever external transmitter/receiver assembly. Is the only reason I can think that it would be as expensive as they claim. We shall see though.

This unit is covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. As such, I expect the warranty to cover this when it fails to continue functioning. (Come to think of it, EV Connect is not working as I type this...)

Back