Page 8 of 8

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 am
by TomT
I have a real world example of how this can backfire... A friend of an acquaintance bought a 2013 Leaf (unfortunately, he didn't talk to me or anyone else who owned one before making the purchase)... He has a 75 mile round-trip commute, mostly freeway with elevation changes, and no charging at work. The dealer assured him that it would be "no problem whatsoever." Needless to say, he did not make it the first day. He ultimately dumped the Leaf and bought a regular Prius... Guess what he now tells anyone who will listen what he thinks of the Leaf and BEVs...

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 am
by hill
drees wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Until the Leaf can do 100 miles on a 100% charge to LBW at 70 mph w/both moderate AC and moderate heater usage, I think it's a very bad idea to tell ICEV owners its range is 100 miles.
There, fixed that for ya. But I would probably accept/consider 65 mph and VLBW.
Are we talkin' new traction pack? ..... or one with 36,000 + miles.
;)
.

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 pm
by zowland
hill wrote:Are we talkin' new traction pack? ..... or one with 36,000 + miles.
;)
.
Exactly. I was hoping to get 5 years out of the Leaf for my 30 mi commute, but at the current rate of degradation, I'm not sure I'll make through this winter (and I haven't even lost the 1st bar yet, and have only 16k miles). Around here the winter range @ 80% chg with wall preheat at one end is only about 40 miles if above 10 F, worse if colder, or with an aged pack.

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:58 pm
by dgpcolorado
zowland wrote:Exactly. I was hoping to get 5 years out of the Leaf for my 30 mi commute, but at the current rate of degradation, I'm not sure I'll make through this winter (and I haven't even lost the 1st bar yet, and have only 16k miles). Around here the winter range @ 80% chg with wall preheat at one end is only about 40 miles if above 10 F, worse if colder, or with an aged pack.
There is no reason whatsoever to not charge to "100%" if you need the extra range. Thirty miles in Boulder in winter should be easy even with a battery pack that is down 15-20%. And the battery degradation should stop completely during winter IME.

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:35 pm
by LeftieBiker
What he said, plus the added suggestion that charging to 100% within a few hours of leaving for work also won't hurt anything.

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 am
by Durandal
TomT wrote:I have a real world example of how this can backfire... A friend of an acquaintance bought a 2013 Leaf (unfortunately, he didn't talk to me or anyone else who owned one before making the purchase)... He has a 75 mile round-trip commute, mostly freeway with elevation changes, and no charging at work. The dealer assured him that it would be "no problem whatsoever." Needless to say, he did not make it the first day. He ultimately dumped the Leaf and bought a regular Prius... Guess what he now tells anyone who will listen what he thinks of the Leaf and BEVs...
Holy cow I can imagine he was livid. Also doubly so for not talking to anyone that he knew who has a Leaf, he probably felt like a donkey. That said, whenever I have conversations with people about my Leaf, I'm quite honest about the range that I get, and I add it with the caveat that the EVs coming out next year will offer 200+ mile ranges, and that those would more than likely suit their needs. I would much prefer for people to come into the situation having realistic expectations instead of being let down.

The dealership I bought mine from didn't even know that you could charge it at home. I'm not kidding. They thought you HAD to charge it at a charging station. (Used Toyota dealership.) They had taken it to the nearby Nissan dealership to have it charged up, and of course that dealership told the Toyota guys that you could get 100 miles a charge from it, but I knew better, of course.

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 100 mi

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:02 pm
by LeftieBiker
Walser | Nissan Wayzata
Walser Nissan

Michael,


Hi! Yes, our lifetime powertrain warranty applies to the Leafs drivetrain. It only applies to our customer who purchase a vehicle from us. Doesn't apply on a lease. I can ran a lease payment when leafs arrive at the dealership, and we can shipped it to you for an additional cost.

I spoke with my new car manager and he mention that the tax credit its a federal tax credit which means you will have to filled it yourself when you do your taxes. If you lease and then buy you won't be able to take advantage of the tax credit. The tax credit only applies for buyers.
Emphasis added.