TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 am

I have a real world example of how this can backfire... A friend of an acquaintance bought a 2013 Leaf (unfortunately, he didn't talk to me or anyone else who owned one before making the purchase)... He has a 75 mile round-trip commute, mostly freeway with elevation changes, and no charging at work. The dealer assured him that it would be "no problem whatsoever." Needless to say, he did not make it the first day. He ultimately dumped the Leaf and bought a regular Prius... Guess what he now tells anyone who will listen what he thinks of the Leaf and BEVs...
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 am

drees wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Until the Leaf can do 100 miles on a 100% charge to LBW at 70 mph w/both moderate AC and moderate heater usage, I think it's a very bad idea to tell ICEV owners its range is 100 miles.
There, fixed that for ya. But I would probably accept/consider 65 mph and VLBW.
Are we talkin' new traction pack? ..... or one with 36,000 + miles.
;)

zowland
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 9999

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 pm

hill wrote:Are we talkin' new traction pack? ..... or one with 36,000 + miles.
;)
Exactly. I was hoping to get 5 years out of the Leaf for my 30 mi commute, but at the current rate of degradation, I'm not sure I'll make through this winter (and I haven't even lost the 1st bar yet, and have only 16k miles). Around here the winter range @ 80% chg with wall preheat at one end is only about 40 miles if above 10 F, worse if colder, or with an aged pack.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:58 pm

zowland wrote:Exactly. I was hoping to get 5 years out of the Leaf for my 30 mi commute, but at the current rate of degradation, I'm not sure I'll make through this winter (and I haven't even lost the 1st bar yet, and have only 16k miles). Around here the winter range @ 80% chg with wall preheat at one end is only about 40 miles if above 10 F, worse if colder, or with an aged pack.
There is no reason whatsoever to not charge to "100%" if you need the extra range. Thirty miles in Boulder in winter should be easy even with a battery pack that is down 15-20%. And the battery degradation should stop completely during winter IME.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:35 pm

What he said, plus the added suggestion that charging to 100% within a few hours of leaving for work also won't hurt anything.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 am

TomT wrote:I have a real world example of how this can backfire... A friend of an acquaintance bought a 2013 Leaf (unfortunately, he didn't talk to me or anyone else who owned one before making the purchase)... He has a 75 mile round-trip commute, mostly freeway with elevation changes, and no charging at work. The dealer assured him that it would be "no problem whatsoever." Needless to say, he did not make it the first day. He ultimately dumped the Leaf and bought a regular Prius... Guess what he now tells anyone who will listen what he thinks of the Leaf and BEVs...
Holy cow I can imagine he was livid. Also doubly so for not talking to anyone that he knew who has a Leaf, he probably felt like a donkey. That said, whenever I have conversations with people about my Leaf, I'm quite honest about the range that I get, and I add it with the caveat that the EVs coming out next year will offer 200+ mile ranges, and that those would more than likely suit their needs. I would much prefer for people to come into the situation having realistic expectations instead of being let down.

The dealership I bought mine from didn't even know that you could charge it at home. I'm not kidding. They thought you HAD to charge it at a charging station. (Used Toyota dealership.) They had taken it to the nearby Nissan dealership to have it charged up, and of course that dealership told the Toyota guys that you could get 100 miles a charge from it, but I knew better, of course.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf SL, traded it in and now I'm a very happy Tesla Model 3 owner. Reservations for Tesla Model Y and Cyber Truck.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 100 mi

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:02 pm

Walser | Nissan Wayzata
Walser Nissan

Michael,

Hi! Yes, our lifetime powertrain warranty applies to the Leafs drivetrain. It only applies to our customer who purchase a vehicle from us. Doesn't apply on a lease. I can ran a lease payment when leafs arrive at the dealership, and we can shipped it to you for an additional cost.

I spoke with my new car manager and he mention that the tax credit its a federal tax credit which means you will have to filled it yourself when you do your taxes. If you lease and then buy you won't be able to take advantage of the tax credit. The tax credit only applies for buyers.
Emphasis added.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”