Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Shaming of dealers, reps, etc. saying Leaf's range is 10

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:44 pm

cwerdna wrote: As for legal, depends on where. The limit is 70 mph on much of I-5. Nobody in a car goes just 70 mph there.
To each his own. After several SF-LA trips I've settled on cruise control at 69mph. I find that the continual sorting-out of the pecking-order in the "speeding lane" is just WAY too much work and stress on that drive. Too many speed changes, too many lane changes, too many aggro tailgaters. Bleh. In the right lane at 69 most of those folks just leave me alone. They're too busy being the fastest. And it's slow enough to allow good cruising time in-between the truck clusters or other occasional non-speeders. 10mph isn't going to make that much difference in travel time and if it forces an extra fuel stop, really none at all. And if you get a citation, well your time savings just evaporated. Poof. You can't make I-5 any shorter, prettier or smell less of cow shit, with the throttle. It takes awhile; might as well relax. :lol:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:25 pm

^^^
FWIW, the problem w/staying in the right lane on I-5 going say 69 mph is that you do come up on lots of slow traffic including big rigs and have to often change lanes, otherwise you end up stuck behind slow traffic.

And, another problem in staying in the right lane is increased risk for punctured tires due to road hazards/debris (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 65#p244465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Prior to Tony's post, I personally had either a tire failure (that tire was the oldest and most worn on my car) or damage due to a road hazard (unclear which) coming back on I-5 from Vegas. I wasn't driving at the moment it happened. My mom was as she helped w/some of the driving. She doesn't like driving "fast" in general and stayed in the right lane most of the time.

All I know is that there was a a couple noises and then I noticed the TPMS light came on shortly afterward. After pulling over and trying to inflate the tire w/a the pump, there was way too large a hole for the pump to keep up with.

Had to limp along on the donut spare at 50 mph max for ~150 miles (part of it on I-5, part on 152 and a bit on 101).

As for gas station stop, Prius makes it from SJ to LA on a tank, no problem. One has to stop every now and then to eat, use the bathroom, rest, etc. anyway. Many of those areas to stop have gas stations.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 pm

I have yet to test it out to 100 miles, but with a single occupant, I think at about 52-53 miles an hour at constant speed, and minimal elevation change, the leaf could muster about 100 miles. I have done about 30 or so, pegging 1% SOC per mile.
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Nubo wrote:
cwerdna wrote: As for legal, depends on where. The limit is 70 mph on much of I-5. Nobody in a car goes just 70 mph there.
To each his own. After several SF-LA trips I've settled on cruise control at 69mph. I find that the continual sorting-out of the pecking-order in the "speeding lane" is just WAY too much work and stress on that drive. Too many speed changes, too many lane changes, too many aggro tailgaters. Bleh. In the right lane at 69 most of those folks just leave me alone. They're too busy being the fastest. And it's slow enough to allow good cruising time in-between the truck clusters or other occasional non-speeders. 10mph isn't going to make that much difference in travel time and if it forces an extra fuel stop, really none at all. And if you get a citation, well your time savings just evaporated. Poof. You can't make I-5 any shorter, prettier or smell less of cow shit, with the throttle. It takes awhile; might as well relax. :lol:
well-stated Nubo; I couldn't have said it better myself 8-)
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:I have yet to test it out to 100 miles, but with a single occupant, I think at about 52-53 miles an hour at constant speed, and minimal elevation change, the leaf could muster about 100 miles. I have done about 30 or so, pegging 1% SOC per mile.
Tony's range chart (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) says that for 50 mph, 97 miles is possible. Since I've heard that his chart is slightly pessimistic, your guess is probably about right.

I doubt that any of the people making the 100 mile range claims to ICEV owners are telling them that it's possible at 50 mph (to turtle) or on the LA4 cycle that averages 19.59 mph.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Shaming a Dealer? That would be an oxymoron in my book.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

TonyWilliams

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:I have yet to test it out to 100 miles, but with a single occupant, I think at about 52-53 miles an hour at constant speed, and minimal elevation change, the leaf could muster about 100 miles. I have done about 30 or so, pegging 1% SOC per mile.
There are a whole bunch (about 69 total) who have done 100 miles... read about how they did it here:

100 Mile Club

DaveEV

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Nubo wrote:
cwerdna wrote:As for legal, depends on where. The limit is 70 mph on much of I-5. Nobody in a car goes just 70 mph there.
To each his own. After several SF-LA trips I've settled on cruise control at 69mph. I find that the continual sorting-out of the pecking-order in the "speeding lane" is just WAY too much work and stress on that drive. Too many speed changes, too many lane changes, too many aggro tailgaters. Bleh. In the right lane at 69 most of those folks just leave me alone. They're too busy being the fastest.
+1. Way too much stress trying to hang out in the left lane and all the tailgating and jockeying for position when passing trucks is a recipe for disaster. Have driven by too many accidents on I5 due to that kind of driving. Much more relaxing to hang out in the right lane at 70-75 mph and go around slower traffic when there's plenty of room.
cwerdna wrote:FWIW, the problem w/staying in the right lane on I-5 going say 69 mph is that you do come up on lots of slow traffic including big rigs and have to often change lanes, otherwise you end up stuck behind slow traffic.
And if you say in the fast lane at say 80 mph you still get stuck behind slower traffic or have to move out of the way for even faster traffic. No matter how you cut it, you have to change lanes frequently on I-5. But the fast lane has the added danger of frequent sudden braking events due to tailgating. That happens much less frequently in the right lane.
cwerdna wrote:And, another problem in staying in the right lane is increased risk for punctured tires due to road hazards/debris
The road is definitely rougher on the right lane - some portions are downright harsh, but I'd still rather risk a flat than getting into an accident which unfortunately I feel is very probably trying to hang out in the left lane battling with aggressive drivers.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:49 pm

drees wrote: ... Way too much stress trying to hang out in the left lane and all the tailgating and jockeying for position when passing trucks is a recipe for disaster. Have driven by too many accidents on I5 due to that kind of driving. Much more relaxing to hang out in the right lane at 70-75 mph and go around slower traffic when there's plenty of room....
And, here's the thing: What the type-A drivers in the left lane want, even more than the sheer miles per hour or the minutes shaved off the trip time... what they desire most of all is a clear road with nobody in front of them. And yet they rarely get it. They close any gaps and spend most of their time jockeying, as you said, impatiently waiting and fighting for that next clear break.

Meanwhile, MOST of my trip is spent with clear road in front of me! when I encounter the occasional traffic that is slower than me, I slow down. I wait for a reasonable passing opportunity. I leave plenty of space. No sweat.

On their whole frantic trip, the speedsters spend hours battling, and minutes getting what they really want, while my trip is the inverse of that. The irony is just incredible.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GRA

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Am I the only person who drives 70-75 (rarely, 80-85) in the right lane on I-5 in the central valley except for passing? No tailgating, no jockeying, just safe lane changes and passes.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”