cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

questionnaire for "short" range/range loss complainers?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 am

I've gotten a bit tired of people complaining about short range and having to go back/forth, esp. when some of the posters vanish or don't answer many of our questions. Since I don't have a Leaf, I don't know what is exactly relevant or not to ask.

I created one for Priuschat for FE complaints at http://priuschat.com/threads/fuel-econo ... new.77074/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which became a sticky.

Over there, I got so tired of trying to help people complaining of "poor" mileage who provide scant or no info. I found myself asking usually a whole bunch of (the same) questions over and over, only to either have them spoon feed a couple answers or worse, have them never return to Priuschat. I'd also noticed lots of people spending time to also ask questions, guess as to the OP's situation, etc. which also IMHO, a waste of time and futile, if the OP doesn't return.

Discuss what you think should go in a simple questionnaire and at least gives us something to go on and can let the complainer know things like: you're driving too fast, that's normal, something is way wrong, you're driving it wrong, you're calculating/estimating wrong, that's actually really good, etc.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 66#p261466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was my stab at it:
- Miles/kwh? From where are you reading this?
- Speeds?
- Elevation changes?
- How are you using the HVAC system?
- Temps?
- Gid count at 100% charge? Date and outside temp when taken?
- How are you "determining" your range? (e.g. driving down to some value on the GOM, driving down to a certain # of "fuel bars", driving to LBW, VLBW or turtle)
- How full are you charging to?
- How many capacity bars have you lost?
Maybe something along the lines of starting # of fuel bars? # of fuel bars at end of trip/commute?

Tony proposed a test at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 96#p261496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which I think maybe should be stickied too and used as a followup, if needed.

I'd really like a Leaf owner/lessee to own the questionnaire though.

March 2013 edit: My current running revision of the questionnaire is at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p275421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'll probably just keep updating that post, based on suggestions. I would really like a Leaf owner to own the "final" questionnaire though since I don't have a Leaf yet.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Re: questionnaire for "short" range/range loss complainers?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Anyone?

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm

You need to simplify and expand on those questions a bit, many people wont understand..

cwerdna

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm

^^^
Feel free to write improved versions...

'19 Bolt Premier

TonyWilliams

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 pm

The first question needs to be "Where are you?" and "Where are you traveling to?" and "Via what route?"

cwerdna

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:12 am

TonyWilliams wrote:The first question needs to be "Where are you?" and "Where are you traveling to?" and "Via what route?"
Fair enough... although some folks might not want to reveal all that, for privacy reasons. On Priuschat, for FE complaints, we usually don't have to ask all that... just a general area is enough.

I realize the temps, route and elevation changes can make a significant difference but it might be enough to ask about the routes/drives vs. revealing such specifics.

'19 Bolt Premier

TonyWilliams

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:18 am

cwerdna wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:The first question needs to be "Where are you?" and "Where are you traveling to?" and "Via what route?"
Fair enough... although some folks might not want to reveal all that, for privacy reasons. On Priuschat, for FE complaints, we usually don't have to ask all that... just a general area is enough.

I realize the temps, route and elevation changes can make a significant difference but it might be enough to ask about the routes/drives vs. revealing such specifics.

Obviously, I don't quite get all the secrecy when we are talking about cars. We don't need somebody's home address, or their name, or anything identifying them.

But we do need to know just what I asked, and I personally wouldn't spend a lot of time helping anybody who feels that giving the town they live in is too much.

vrwl
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 8597

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:15 am

Is the vehicle garaged or sitting outside for extended periods of time? If garaged, average temps inside garage while vehicle is inside.

Tire pressure?

What is your m/kWh reading on the dash? Is it reset for every trip?
Vicki
2011 Silver SL-Mfg 8/11-Purch 6/12
34000 miles

ksnogas2112
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021881

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Cwerdna...maybe

"can this experience be reliably repeated?" - once is an aberration, multiple is something we can test
"after how many months of ownership did you first experience the range loss?" - aka is this a new user or experienced? I would take Phil and Tony's opinions over mine any day
"did you buy the vehicle new or used?" - we're going to be seeing a lot more new used car owners i expect which will mean more information about the battery may be needed.

and in the case of a one time deal maybe why? you know like dear mr nytime reporter why did you ignore the low battery light on the tesla? sometimes the why makes everything else understandable. you know, like why did you print off the email? oh, to read it later, i get it...NOT (yes, I had a co-worker print emails to read later)

btw, I totally agree with Tony about location.
Tom in KS
100 Mile Club-#57
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/
Try reading a book, it's a novel experience
MY 2012 - Cayenne Red-55,000+ miles

cwerdna

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:09 pm

vrwl wrote: What is your m/kWh reading on the dash? Is it reset for every trip?
On this note, IIRC, it's been established that the dash (black and white LCD in the instrument cluster) m/kWh reading is the one to look at, right? I remember hearing that CarWings was a liar and used to be way off. Not sure about now...

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”