Do Heated Lap Blankets Help Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankBlissett

I am thinking of getting a plug-in blanket for back-seat passengers to use during a long drive to family this winter. Does anybody here know whether that will help with range? If so, any suggested brands to seek/avoid?

i would think so since the main heater is using pack voltage and takes away available range.

Preheat the interior while plugged in to the EVSE right before departure is helpful for comfort also with no range penalty.

I used one while driving, back in the day, and it did help me minimize the heater use. Just try to avoid using it in any mode other than Ready (yellow-green car lit on the dash) mode.

I still use a $15 heated blanket in the winter, I also use a 12v defroster to keep the window from fogging. To run both at the same time I had to add a supplemental key-switched, fuse protected power outlet as both items will exceed the stock fuse. search my posts to see it. I've got a 33 mile commute with a 8-bar '12 so its on the edge what is possible in a cold climate. The biggest factor is wind, if there is a strong headwind I loose 10 miles range so I check the weather and if I have a head wind I take back roads and go 45mph, it kinda sucks.

LeftieBiker said:
Do you have a heater On/Off switch installed?

Leftie is talking about the aftermarket switch to turn off the otherwise always-on (when CC is turned on) liquid heater. I wouldn't want to own a '12 in a northern climate without one. Inexpensive(if you can still find one) and the kit is pretty easy to install, I put on my '12.
Just thought I'd clarify Leftie wasn't talking about a switch for the blanket or window defogger/heater thing, were talking about the actual 6kw+ built-in electric heater.

Back