NTB-11-041 Telematics Connection Fix - dealer says no

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

I'm trying to convince my dealer that NTB-11-041 needs to be applied to my car to correct the horribly incorrect Carwings data. But they insist that NTB-11-041 does not apply to my car - even after calling Nissan corp.

I found a website somewhere that indicated that NTB-11-041 should be applied to VINs < 5518 built before June 1, 2011 which my car matches.

Has anyone with higher VIN numbers than mine (2448) had NTB-11-041 applied? Anyone have a copy of the actual TSB? It seems to be impossible to find it.

drees said:
Has anyone with higher VIN numbers than mine (2448) had NTB-11-041 applied? Anyone have a copy of the actual TSB? It seems to be impossible to find it.
I have the NTB. PM me if you would like me to send you a copy.

Here is what it says about applicability:
TB-11-41a said:
APPLIED VEHICLES: 2011 LEAF (ZE0)
APPLIED VINS: Vehicles built before JN1AZ0CP(*)BT005518
APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built before June 1, 2011
Also, it indicates the vehicle should show the "No Telematics Connection" symbol as shown in TB-11-41a.

Well, other than the incorrect data, it is actually connected. I wonder if there's a way to get the car to "disconnect" so all criteria of the TB match.

RegGuheert sent me the NTB - the issue is that my TCU software was updated to 627 when the NTB says only to update if the TCU software is version 622 or 625 (check you version here), so that explains why they won't perform the update.

Before I took my car in for the annual service and the voluntary recall updates, it was the correct TCU Software version 622, so I believe they applied those updates before checking NTB-11-041. I will explain this to the dealer and see what they say.

I was wrong in my last post.

Reading the NTB carefully, the NTB involves 2 separate steps.

1. Updating the AV Control Unit - Boot Ware / Application from 108 to 147 (Section 2 involving SD card)
2. Updating the TCU Software from 622 or 624 to 626 (Section 3 involving Consult PC)

Since my car already is running TCU Software 627, only the AV Control Unit update using the SD card needs to be applied. Hopefully my dealer will agree!

LEAFer said:
@drees: Your car was delivered YESTERDAY ??! :shock:
That's weird. Not sure where my profile data went, fixed it.

After 4-5 emails w/the tech who worked on my car on Tuesday it's pretty clear he's still confused. Said something about waiting next week until his Consult PC is re-imaged when all that's needed is the NTB-11-041 SD card to update the Boot Ware / Application versions since my TCU is already up to date.

drees said:
I was wrong in my last post.

Reading the NTB carefully, the NTB involves 2 separate steps.

1. Updating the AV Control Unit - Boot Ware / Application from 108 to 147 (Section 2 involving SD card)
2. Updating the TCU Software from 622 or 624 to 626 (Section 3 involving Consult PC)

Since my car already is running TCU Software 627, only the AV Control Unit update using the SD card needs to be applied. Hopefully my dealer will agree!

AV Control Unit - Boot Ware / Application 147
TCU Software 3NA0000626
Driving record will only update if I re-sign to carwings daily

I had the NTB-11-041 applied to my LEAF (5132) back in September. At the time, Carwings was way off from the dash kWh/mi, but I hadn't lost the telematic connection. The dealer was a little reluctant to apply the fix, but eventually realized that my car fit the criteria, even without loosing the connection. The first obstacle was figuring out that they had the VIN for someone else's gas burner on my service paperwork. They applied the update and the Carwings data agreement improved. I haven't had the more recent "recall" update done yet. Perhaps that supercedes/includes the earlier update?

Howdy

EdmondLeaf said:
drees said:
EdmondLeaf said:
AV Control Unit - Boot Ware / Application 147
TCU Software 3NA0000626
Those versions look correct if you haven't gone in for the NTB12-014 voluntary recall reflash yet.
No, and I am not planning to go, will that change anything in CW behavior?

Almost a year now since I had the NTB-11-041 update done.

CW has been entirely reliable and I have never lost my connection, or lost any of the energy report data, when I accept.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5423&hilit=+carwings+update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had the NTB12-014 done at my 1 Year battery check, just a few weeks back.

No changes to CW, that I am aware of.

If there is a change in the dash GOM estimates, I can't see it, but I never paid enough attention to it, to say that there might not be some subtle change.

I never paid attention to the status on the owner's site estimated driving distance, but I believe others who have, report the update does change these numbers.

hgoudey said:
I haven't had the more recent "recall" update done yet. Perhaps that supercedes/includes the earlier update?
It does not - it doesn't update the AV Control Unit - Boot Ware / Application version to 147, but it does update the TCU version which is what has confused my dealer. It doesn't seem like many techs are familiar with this NTB and apparently neither are the people that the techs call up at Nissan as they also claimed that NTB-11-041 doesn't apply to my car. Frustrating.

The update process appears easy enough. If I can confirm that my dealer has the SD card for NTB-11-041 I should walk them through it. :p

My dealer (Oceanside Nissan) got the NTB-11-041a SD update card in and performed the AV unit update (BootWare/App versions are now 147) - so now I should have more accurate CARWINGs data! w00t!

My LEAF stopped sending data to carwings and the iPhone and web carwings will not refresh. I called customer support and they confirmed the system would not update. The connection icon was white and all the settings to send data were enabled. I could update stations and get RSS feeds but no carwings data. I did the fuse reset and in 5 minutes I was getting data again. I don't have the NTB-041 update so I will be asking Nissan Customer service for this one.

drees said:
My dealer (Oceanside Nissan) got the NTB-11-041a SD update card in and performed the AV unit update (BootWare/App versions are now 147) - so now I should have more accurate CARWINGs data! w00t!
Dave, can you please confirm that you now have accurate Carwings data? Also, can you please tell us what your car reports for "Part Number" (on the same screen with "Boot Ware (NK1)" and "Application (NK2)" but you must scroll down).

I have taken my car in to the dealer again for this issue yet and they again refused to apply NTB11-041a but they were told by Nissan that sometimes the February voluntary recall sometimes did not take and to apply that again. They showed me a report from Consult III showing the update to "Part Number" for our vehicle, but I still show the old number on my dash and the Carwings data is still incorrect.

So my current theory is that Nissan is correct about the fix being in the new version of "Part Number", which, BTW, shows up under "Telematics" in Consult, but that the needed new "Part Number" cannot be applied to a car with "Boot Ware (NK1)" and "Application (NK2)" versions lower than 147. Ours are at 127. I am taking this up with Nissan's support line to try to get our car fixed, but your experience and "Part Number" version will help me confirm/debunk my theory. TIA!

RegGuheert said:
drees said:
Dave, can you please confirm that you now have accurate Carwings data? Also, can you please tell us what your car reports for "Part Number" (on the same screen with "Boot Ware (NK1)" and "Application (NK2)" but you must scroll down).
Both BootWare/Application are now on 147 and the Part Number is 3NA0B (did not change). CARWINGs data is now accurate as expected with the up-to-date BootWare/Application.

RegGuheert said:
So my current theory is that Nissan is correct about the fix being in the new version of "Part Number", which, BTW, shows up under "Telematics" in Consult, but that the needed new "Part Number" cannot be applied to a car with "Boot Ware (NK1)" and "Application (NK2)" versions lower than 147. Ours are at 127. I am taking this up with Nissan's support line to try to get our car fixed, but your experience and "Part Number" version will help me confirm/debunk my theory. TIA!
I don't think that the Consult has anything to do with the BootWare/Application version - otherwise the Consult would be used to update it instead of the SD card from Clarion. The Consult was used to update the TCU version (both in this NTB and the more recent one from beginning of the year).

drees said:
Both BootWare/Application are now on 147 and the Part Number is 3NA0B (did not change). CARWINGs data is now accurate as expected with the up-to-date BootWare/Application.
Thanks and congratulations!

Now I see very clearly that NTB11-041a is exactly what is needed (just as we all thought):
NTB11-041a Page 9 said:
This reprogramming is required to repair the "no telematics connection" condition, while at the same time offers system updates to address the following:

- Navigation system locks up or reboots
- Energy economy on Owner's Portal website and vehicle do not match
- iPod/iPhone connectivity issues through USB

As always, dealers are reminded they are responsible for obtaining the customer's informed consent for for this reprogramming before it is performed.
drees said:
I don't think that the Consult has anything to do with the BootWare/Application version - otherwise the Consult would be used to update it instead of the SD card from Clarion. The Consult was used to update the TCU version (both in this NTB and the more recent one from beginning of the year).
Agreed, and I was not implying that it does. No, they were using Consult to try to update "Part Number" on our car from 3NA0C to 3NA0D, but it did not actually change in the car. Clearly this change that they attempted is wrong-minded since your "Part Number" is lower than mine and yet all is working now. FWIW, the one shown in NTB11-041a is 3NA0A is even lower than the one in your car.

Basically, not a single statement that emanated from my so-called service advisor's lips this week was correct. I walked in asking for NTB11-041a to be applied to my car and he immediately shut me down and said they have LEAF certified technicians who would know how to fix our car. Still, I took in a copy of pages 1 and 6 of NTB11-041a and had them attach it to my request. Basically they did everything except the right thing during this visit. I am, frankly, not pleased.

It's clear: with my dealership, you can lead them directly to the fix for your LEAF, but you can't make them fix it!

RegGuheert said:
It's clear: with my dealership, you can lead them directly to the fix for your LEAF, but you can't make them fix it!
My dealership wasn't much better. Took at least a dozen emails back and forth to convince my tech to order the card and apply the update. Try a different dealer is all I can advise if you've hit a brick wall - perhaps call up 1-877-NO-GAS-EV to lodge a formal complaint? That seems to get movement when people have issues...

Back