Replacement Part Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myleaf

Companies selling online Nissan Parts are now showing a larger listed of replacement parts. I have looked over the parts cost to see if the replacement parts are in line with the costs for conventional cars. Most of the part costs are very similar, but there some that I did not expect. The motor cost was lower than expected and the master cylinder w/ controller a lot higher. Below are a few of the more expensive items unique to the Leaf:

Part MSRP Online Price
MASTER CYLINDER BRAKE CONTROLLER ASSY; Leaf 3778 2758

MOTOR Leaf 2405 1756

STEERING GEAR Leaf ELECTRIC 1531 1117

AC COMPRESSOR Leaf 674 492

Parking Brake ACTUATOR Leaf 750 548
Includes: Front Cable.

WATER PUMP Leaf; Left 589 430

Amazing how cheap the motor is. As small as it is, I can imagine the day when they just put two motors on these cars. One in the front, and one in the back. Power on demand when you need it, and then it can be shut off when not needed, and provide additional regeneration when needed. So soon as battery technology evolves, the possibilies are amazing. Can you imagine the Tesla S having an additional motor between the front wheels? (There is plenty of room). Power could instantly go from 416HP to 832 Horsepower!!

Plus, unlike a ICE, a second electric motor could kick in as needed without waiting for it to warm up, etc.

Again. look how small our LEAF motor actually is:
20130210113948252.jpg

MY 2011 SL Leaf needs a new inner tie rod, ours has a slight bend in it and the alignment shop recommends replacing it. Unfortunately Nissan does not supply just the inner tie rods but rather sells the whole steering bearing assembly for $1600!!!! Yikes!!!

All I need is one inner tie rod. Anyone have an extra or know where I can get one? Maybe the Juke or Versa inner tie rods will work? Any ideas! Meanwhile don't bend a tie rod.

Thanks,
Steve

hbleaf said:
MY 2011 SL Leaf needs a new inner tie rod, ours has a slight bend in it and the alignment shop recommends replacing it. Unfortunately Nissan does not supply just the inner tie rods but rather sells the whole steering bearing assembly for $1600!!!! Yikes!!!

All I need is one inner tie rod. Anyone have an extra or know where I can get one? Maybe the Juke or Versa inner tie rods will work? Any ideas! Meanwhile don't bend a tie rod.

Thanks,
Steve

There have been salvage companies bringing in Japanese LEAFs and dismantling them. The parts show up on eBay every now and again, so I'd check there. Obviously a right hand drive steering rack won't be much good to you. But if the tie-rods are removable, as they traditionally have been, the parts should be the same.

I'm looking at another Nissan parts website Parts.NissanUSA.com for a Traction Motor. They show:

part number 290J0-3NA0A (Year range 10/2010 to 9/2011) MSRP = $2,405.73, Online Price=$2,105.01
part number 290J0-3NA0B (Year range 10/2011 to present) MSRP = $5,682.87, Online Price=$4,972.51
part number 290A0-3NF0A (Year range 12/2012 to present) MSRP = $5,741.23, Online Price=$5,023.58

The first one seems to match my Leaf and the MSRP price quoted by OP. Why does the price zoom up for the later motors? (Is the part number usually stamped somewhere on major parts?)

hbleaf said:

Diagram of the steering rack and parts:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/leaf-parts-ze0-2011/genuine-nissan-parts/steering/480-manual-steering-gear/-c-10282_10283_10338_10339.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which part do you need?

drees said:
Which part do you need?

He needs the inner tie rod. Traditionally those have simply screwed onto each end of the steering rack in some fashion, and have been available as replacement parts. Clearly Nissan isn't selling them that way for the LEAF, so I'm thinking that maybe it's not so for the LEAF rack?

Looks like these guys are dismantling 2 LHD LEAFs right now:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Nissan+leaf&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=Sawmillautoparts%2C&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need to look underneath the rubber boot but I bet its a removable inner tie rod just like any other vehicle. It looks like the Juke shares the same part? also Steve Woodruff at autobeyours suggests that the Prius inner tie rod looks similar so I will also check that out when I remove mine.

Its surprising that they don't sell this as a separate part since they are common replacement items on every vehicle.

I certainly don't plan on buying a new steering rack when all I need is the tie rod!!!

Steve

hbleaf said:

Thanks,
Steve

I was wondering if this would be covered under the 3 year new car warranty? Was this caused by an accident or abuse ??

Car was in accident, I purchased it as salvage vehicle and restored it to everyday use. This is the last piece of the puzzle, seems the driver hit something at the wheel and bent the tie rod.

The repairs were not bad but the parts cost are considerable. All total the car cost me a bit less than $15k, drives nice, quiet, charges fully and odo is at 23K miles. Fun project and we are happy with the car.

Steve

hbleaf: You wrote "the parts cost are considerable". I am curious if you have any knowledge about Leaf parts costs vs other Nissan parts costs, i.e. are they more or about the same?

parts.nissanusa.com is Nissan's site for parts. It's the same info the dealer has. Parts.com usually has the best online prices.

ELROY said:
Amazing how cheap the motor is. As small as it is, I can imagine the day when they just put two motors on these cars. One in the front, and one in the back. Power on demand when you need it, and then it can be shut off when not needed, and provide additional regeneration when needed. So soon as battery technology evolves, the possibilies are amazing. Can you imagine the Tesla S having an additional motor between the front wheels? (There is plenty of room). Power could instantly go from 416HP to 832 Horsepower!!

Plus, unlike a ICE, a second electric motor could kick in as needed without waiting for it to warm up, etc.

Again. look how small our LEAF motor actually is:
20130210113948252.jpg

This is a pack output limitation. There is no need for a second motor in a LEAF when a single more powerful one would do the job. The LEAF also does not need another motor for more regen, it is NOW capable of 80Kw of regen but Nissan has decided to limit it to very low levels.

Back