1stnewtonleaf
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2011

creaking going over speed bumps

At about 7,000 miles my Leaf has started a loud creaking/groaning sound going over small speed bumps. The more people in the car, the more severe and louder. Other than than that car has been perfect. I guess a trip to dealer is required.
Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Re: creaking going over speed bumps

Mine has no trouble going normal speeds on city streets; I just have to slow to 18 MPH or so, but in parking lots where the speed should be 10 -12 MPH I find that it has trouble when the rear axle clears the bump. It sounds like the car's rear end just fell of the curb. I have to slow to 5 - 6 MPH or if possible take it at a slight angle to avoid this so one wheel is halfway down when the other is at the peak of the bump. The front end has no trouble. It was like this from day one. I think it's just a design flaw - or "feature."
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords
GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

I don't get a creaking or groaning, but mine has started making a whistle or "whoop" sound from the front left when I hit speed bumps at speed. It didn't used to do that. I'll have them look at it when I bring it in for inspection.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy
Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

In past cars of mine, this behavior usually pointed to dry or worn-out stabilizer bushings. I don't even know if the LEAF has these....
I noticed you're still working with polymers.
TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

In the front, yes. The rear uses the twist beam axle as a form of anti-roll bar.
Nubo wrote:In past cars of mine, this behavior usually pointed to dry or worn-out stabilizer bushings. I don't even know if the LEAF has these....
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

1stnewtonleaf wrote:At about 7,000 miles my Leaf has started a loud creaking/groaning sound going over small speed bumps. The more people in the car, the more severe and louder. Other than than that car has been perfect. I guess a trip to dealer is required.
Nubo wrote:In past cars of mine, this behavior usually pointed to dry or worn-out stabilizer bushings. I don't even know if the LEAF has these....
TomT wrote:In the front, yes.
Yes, see these pics, specifically the 4th and 6th ones.
TomT wrote:The rear uses the twist beam axle as a form of anti-roll bar.
1stnewtonleaf: Does this happen when the front wheels go over the speed bump, or the back wheels? How about when only one side (front or rear) goes over a bump?
Anna Nguyen
davewill

GeekEV wrote:... mine has started making a whistle or "whoop" sound from the front left when I hit speed bumps at speed. ...
I thought the point of speed bumps was NOT to hit them "at speed"
Patient: Doctor it hurts when I raise my arm like this. (raises arm)
Doctor: Then don't raise your arm like that!
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease
GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

davewill wrote:
GeekEV wrote:... mine has started making a whistle or "whoop" sound from the front left when I hit speed bumps at speed. ...
I thought the point of speed bumps was NOT to hit them "at speed"
This is a common misconception. Any well-designed** speed bump is designed to regulate your speed to the desired limit. They can usually be taken safely and with minimal bump at that speed. Taking them too slow or too fast is what jars you...

** an important distinction, some are just a lump of asphalt laid down without thought or planning

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy
1stnewtonleaf
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2011

Definitely only the front wheels. Only when 3 or more people in car, not going excessively fast, maybe 5 mph. Happens at different size speed bumps. My other cars have never made a noise like this even going much faster.
LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

GeekEV wrote:This is a common misconception. Any well-designed** speed bump is designed to regulate your speed to the desired limit. They can usually be taken safely and with minimal bump at that speed. Taking them too slow or too fast is what jars you...
I don't know about where you live, but here we have speed 'bumps' and speed 'humps'. Speed bumps should be taken at a very low speed...under 5mph...these are mostly in shopping areas and are yellow bars of concrete. Speed humps can be taken safely at 20-25mph as these are on side streets meant to keep traffic at the speed limit and are just humps of asphalt over asphalt.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
2022 LEAF SL+ Del. 9/18/21
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”