2016 30KW Battery warranty trouble or success?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeng

Anyone has any experience trying to warranty their battery? I have a 2016 Leaf SV with 8 bars left and about 78K miles on it. Max mileage I get now is about 78 miles fully charged.

I was wondering if they gave you a hard time having it fixed with your bars at 8 or less. i.e...required you to take your car in every year for a checkup. I never had a problem with mine so never taken it in except for the one recall where they fixed it so the bars went from 7 to 11 again. Not sure if they pulled a Volvo scam there or not but whatever.

Just wondering if you had a success or failed to warranty your battery?

Update: Sorry...did a search of the forum and had others with same issue. I should have searched before I posted. I will update this as my battery replacement journey and see how it goes.

Welcome. It has been accomplished by people here. While you wait for them: you will have to let them apply the BMS firmware update. This will reset the car to 12 capacity bars, but they will quickly fall again, until they reach the actual capacity. This may be the same 8 bars, or it could be 9 or 10 bars. After that, once it hits 8 again, you will get a new 40kwh pack. (I've adjusted your title to reflect the unit for capacity.)

My 2016 S30 (BMS update applied) dropped to 8 bars at ~59k miles. No annual battery checks- when I missed the narrow date window for the first “free” check I elected not to pay $159 for a meaningless test.

Dealer received replacement approval from Nissan within a day, part ordered 11/19, shipped 12/17, should be installed next week.

I took my car in to dealership on 12/24, but can't be tested until the 27th when they have a Leaf technician available. Service center called on the 27th said they tested my car already and it does need a new battery. They filled out paper work for Nissan warranty and is waiting for Nissan to respond on the 29th. Service center also said per Nissan they are not allowed to give me any type of a loaner car. My car needs to stay at the service center to be available for Nissan to inspect before approval. Currently waiting for my car to be approved, hopefully with a bigger battery. Luckily, I have an extra car to use in the mean time.

^^ I don't have any insight into the rental refusal, other than it sounds like Nissan being Nissan -- corporate a$$holes. Or it is your local dealership being a schmuck and blaming Nissan. Between lousy dealerships and Nissan itself, there is crappy customer service galore.

No one has ever reported on MNL warranty refusal due to missing annual battery checks. I don't think anyone ever will.

Dealership Service center called again today (12/29/2021) to confirm that Nissan has already approved warranty, but will take 4-6 weeks for battery back order. The expected bad news is my car needs to stay there per Nissan. The rep also mentioned they couldn't give me a free replacement car. Whatever, as long as I get a bigger battery; it is a win. I will update once I get my car back.

I am glad that your warranty replacement has been approved, but see no reason why they won't let you drive your car until the new battery arrives. The warranty replacement battery for my 2011 (in 2013) took quite a while to get because it came from Japan. My dealer asked me to pick up my car and use it until the new battery came in.

Congrats on your approved battery replacement. You will be very happy with the 40kwh battery. Mine was replaced in May of 2021 on a 2017 Leaf, I consistently get 150 miles on a full charge. You will love it.

I called the Nissan dealership again today and they said they have not received a delivery date on my battery yet and to give it another month. I told them I can't keep on waiting and I need my car to use or give me a free rental. They keep saying Nissan does not pay for rentals or allows my car to be used. I ended up calling 1800Nissan1 and filed a complaint. They said they will contact the dealership and let me know in a day or two. I want my car back to use as this shipment or backlog could take another month or two. Is there anything else I can do?

If the Nissan people say that they will tell the dealership to give your car back while waiting for the battery, then that will probably happen. Give them a week or so. I'm starting to wonder if they damaged the current battery, or if they just like renting you a car...

I am/were in similar situation. I had read other posts and when the local dealer was dicking around (one service rep tried to tell me I needed to get to 7 bars before warranty) I then called Nissan and filed a complaint. Its not clear to me what all occurred in the 45 minutes between calls, but magically, I have a new battery coming. And an ICE loaner car.

Your call to Nissan is the best magic I think. There are dealers who have individual "players" who detest electric cars and their drivers. They will make your life hard for no other reason than that they hate what we (electric car drivers) and our cars stand for.

Why dealerships refuse to just let us drive our own vehicle is a little vague. A more reasonable fellow at my local stealer said that " we are on the hook for a $10,000 battery now and we won't get that money reimbursed until its installed into your Leaf. We can't run the chance you won't come back." I call bull**it. The next day, when I went to pick up my loaner, another guy says "hey, its Nissan corporate paying for the loaner, so what's the difference".

I *think* Nissan dealers might be making some $$ off loaner rentals under warranty. They also think that an ICE vehicle is some sort of upgrade for us poor battery folks. That being said, using a ICE today with temps in the single digits was not such a sacrifice...... I parked the new Nissan Kicks and drove my old Forester.

After a month of waiting for the battery and having no car. I started calling Nissan and they opened a case. I think it was some sort of Nissan consumer support line. They called the dealership and asked around. They never heard of any policies on not releasing the car either. In any case, after about two weeks, the battery suddenly arrived on 2/10 and I was able to pick the car up the same day. I guess it doesn't take them long to replace the battery itself.

It now has max of about 170 miles. At least that is what is on the display. It is pretty nice to having gone from 126 miles to 75 miles and now doubled that range. Thank you Nissan warranty.

I put up with a loaner Nissan Kicks for 5 weeks. Got the call that my battery was replaced yesterday. Showing about 150 miles of range. Drove 33 miles at around 72-74 mph and used up 31% of the battery capacity. So I think my range will be around 100 miles at highway speeds.

Now that gas is getting more expensive, it will be nice to have the Leaf back.

The Kicks had adaptive cruise control, which I admit is REALLY nice. That's the only thing I'll miss.

Back