2018 Noise when stopping / starting movement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrjones

I've started to notice a bit of a noise when I'm stopping, or start moving again. Usually, but not always, it occurs when I hit the brakes at low speed or release the brakes at low speed. It is a click or a bit of a clunk sound. I don't feel anything wrong other than hear the noise. Not sure if its the transition between friction and regen needing some adjustment or a suspension noise or what?

Anyone else have this?

I sometimes have a similar noise on my 2017 but usually only when starting to move. I've always assumed it's just gear lash since it seems like that kind of noise. It hasn't changed in 4+ years so I don't worry about it much. Funny thing is it only happens sometimes and I don't really know what conditions bring it out.

when using e-pedal if I press the accelerator really quick...it almost feels like you can feel the brakes release under the pressure of starting to move. Doesn't seem to do it, if I slowly/normally press the accelerator. Could be that slight delay of the brakes releasing.

I'm not using e-pedal, so it can't be specific to just that. With my windows down I can hear it really well, its a kind of loud double click or clack sound coming from under the front axle, possibly the wheels. Hard to tell. It can happen when I first apply brakes at slower speeds, or when I release the rakes. I've even noticed it when I first apply throttle, with no braking. Sometimes I'll be in a long slow braking and I won't hear it until I slow down to about 10-15 mph. Strange. And it seems mostly reciprocal, if I hear it slowing I'm likely to hear it again speeding up after the stop.

danrjones said:
I've started to notice a bit of a noise when I'm stopping, or start moving again. Usually, but not always, it occurs when I hit the brakes at low speed or release the brakes at low speed. It is a click or a bit of a clunk sound. I don't feel anything wrong other than hear the noise. Not sure if its the transition between friction and regen needing some adjustment or a suspension noise or what?

Anyone else have this?

Mine does that, the click is coming from the brakes being used fully (less regen at low speeds, needing to stop and hold the vehicle, etc.), usually tends to go away once the *rotor* rust wears off (if sitting idle for hours in humid weather) or the system warms up a little, you'll notice it less. All my gas vehicles in the past did the same thing, but the sound was drown out by the engine, so I never noticed it much unless I was next to a wall to reflect the sound back into the cabin. If the sound is loud enough to be annoying or concerning you can have someone check the brake pad alignment to make sure it looks good. There is also some mechanic tricks to quiet the clicking by cleaning and lubing up the springs, shims, clips, etc.

knightmb said:
danrjones said:

Anyone else have this?

Mine does that, the click is coming from the brakes being used fully (less regen at low speeds, needing to stop and hold the vehicle, etc.), usually tends to go away once the pad rust wears off (if sitting idle for hours in humid weather) or the system warms up a little, you'll notice it less. All my gas vehicles in the past did the same thing, but the sound was drown out by the engine, so I never noticed it much unless I was next to a wall to reflect the sound back into the cabin. If the sound is loud enough to be annoying or concerning you can have someone check the brake pad alignment to make sure it looks good. There is also some mechanic tricks to quiet the clicking by cleaning and lubing up the springs, shims, clips, etc.

I am coming up on a service and battery check so I can have Nissan do it at that time. Thanks!

Hi,

In my case the problem is something which affects not only Nissan Leafs but also some other Nissan models. My car was still under warranty and the local Nissan dealership fixed it for free naturally. I was under impression that they were changing the drive shafts to get rid of those noises but in my case, after I send them a link from foreign website, they only changed a nut (don't know if that's the right word if, though) and the greases, which were certain type of greases not just ordinary vaseline.

I drove the car for one year listening to that noise and didn't pay any extra attention to that until my wife made a remark of that and it bothered me - more than the noise itself. :lol: The noise itself was really quiet but surprisingly it sounds more loud outside, and that was the main reason why we wanted it to be checked before warranty would run out.

And to be more specific: the noise was heard only when the car was coming almost to a stop and when accelerating again, i.e. when slowing down at speed bumps on a road.

And apologies if my English causes sore eyes but that isn't my native language. :oops:

they only changed a nut (don't know if that's the right word if, though) and the greases,

I think that the first fix they try is to replace the axle nut and washer, torquing them correctly. If that fails to fix it, the axle is replaced. And as I noted elsewhere, you have no reason to be ashamed of your English. It's better than mine on many days.

LeftieBiker said:
they only changed a nut (don't know if that's the right word if, though) and the greases,

I think that the first fix they try is to replace the axle nut and washer, torquing them correctly. If that fails to fix it, the axle is replaced. And as I noted elsewhere, you have no reason to be ashamed of your English. It's better than mine on many days.

Hi LeftieBiker,

Yes, exactly those were the spare parts I was after - but I completely forgot about that torque part which was quite important according to the writings I saw during autumn when I was searching for info on this. Cheers for adding that, too! :)

And thanks, I tried to do my best in the middle of night (yep, couldn't sleep as my Leaf's problems kept me awake) trying to remember the basics of English. I'm happy if those sentences made sense somehow. ;)

I believe that the original problem was - or at least it is claimed - that the axle nuts were sometimes torqued incorrectly at the assembly plant. Once that happens they have to use new nuts and washers because they get deformed slightly by torque when installed, and shouldn't be reused.

I've noticed a slight click on occasion under these conditions and I've attributed it to the axle nut torque issue. But....I've just ignored it.

Does anyone think this could cause any problems down the road? It's so minor that I'm planning to just ignore it but I don't want to ruin anything else.

goldbrick said:
I've noticed a slight click on occasion under these conditions and I've attributed it to the axle nut torque issue. But....I've just ignored it.

Does anyone think this could cause any problems down the road? It's so minor that I'm planning to just ignore it but I don't want to ruin anything else.
Just coming from my own mechanical experience over the years, any unusual wear would be to the spline surfaces mating into the hub. There is likely a high pressure grease that fills the spline gap. Basically fresh grease and new castle nut... good to go.

BTW, mine is clicking too. Likely get that serviced in the Spring with my annual battery check. I like to have them get the road salt out of the brakes & lube the caliper slide pins in the Spring, good time to investigate the click.

Hi,

I decided to check it on my car, and with wheels taken of the noise is easely reproduced. I've created a video with it, please let me know if it was the same for you right before you replaced the washer and nut on the axle. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/Sh3J10kjLUA

I have a 2011 LS that makes noises in the right front corner when changing direction (forward or back or when I turn the steering wheel). It has been getting progressively more frequent. At first I thought it was the suspension and changed the lower control arms. The two rubber bushings on the right side were pretty badly cracked. Unfortunately, the new LCA's didn't really make much of a difference. Part of the reason I thought it was suspension is the noise has a "ring" to it like if one hit a spring. I also get a "moaning" sound sometimes when going over speed bumps. Is it likely that I have a problem with the axle nut or the drive shaft? Do I also have a problem with the front shocks/dampers?

I'm pretty sure I have a 'loose' axle nut on my 2017 and it shows up as a sight click when I either accelerate or decelerate. It only happens occasionally and it's just a single click for each event so I've been ignoring it.

If the LCA had torn rubber bushings I'd bet some other parts are also worn. There's nothing special about the suspension on a Leaf so if it gets worse and you can repeat it easily I'd take it to a shop and have them look at it. Or you could jack up one front corner of the car and try to move the wheel by hand to see if you can locate any issues.

Back