"key not detected" when OUTSIDE car only!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crose90

Hello, I just purchased a 2018 leaf and brought it back (used, 20,000 miles). No issues when in the car. Lock the car from the inside, car off, message won't appear. It's when I step OUTSIDE of the car and lock the car, the message "warning: key not detected" pops up and won't go away! I don't want to leave this on all night and drain (probably a very small) portion of battery. More than anything I just want to know what's going on... I haven't heard of anyone having these issues when LEAVING the car. Any help appreciated.. running to store very late to get batteries for FOB just in case.. work early in the morning.

I get that message when the car is On and I leave the car. You're sure you turned the car Off before leaving, right? If so, there might be something wrong with the car or the keyfob. Is the car still under 3 years or 36,000 miles?

Triggerhappy007 said:
I get that message when the car is On and I leave the car. You're sure you turned the car Off before leaving, right? If so, there might be something wrong with the car or the keyfob. Is the car still under 3 years or 36,000 miles?

Here is what I do when I turn off the car. 1) I take my foot off the pedal, 2) I press the power button - I have some lights still glowing from my central display / charging information on the screen when I do this, 3) I press the power button again - everything goes black, I feel comfortable the car is off at this point 4) I get out of the car, and when I press lock on my FOB I can see on the car screen "key not detected." Car lock / unlock works just fine on key fob.

I am going to replace the batteries tonight. Car functions perfectly otherwise. No idea what's wrong - don't want to leave the car with the screen on to save more battery... super sad!

I take it all back, throw eggs at me - the gentleman/woman that said "is the car on?" was completely right.

I saw the panel go black when I pressed the power button twice (in my head I was turning the car off) and I assumed that was off. In reality, I have my lights set to "auto," and they just take a good amount of time to turn off when I press the power button once to turn the car off.

I hope we get a few laughs at my stupidity... thanks everybody <3

In little ways, EVs can be different enough from old ICE cars to trip up new owners.
And even between EVs ... I routinely forget to turn off our LEAF because I'm used to our Tesla that turns itself off.

One of the saving graces of electronics is that they can be programmed to soften owner miscues.

OP -- gentle reminder: it really does help to read through the manual.

Crose90 said:
I take it all back, throw eggs at me - the gentleman/woman that said "is the car on?" was completely right.

I saw the panel go black when I pressed the power button twice (in my head I was turning the car off) and I assumed that was off. In reality, I have my lights set to "auto," and they just take a good amount of time to turn off when I press the power button once to turn the car off.

I hope we get a few laughs at my stupidity... thanks everybody <3
Glad it wasn't a problem with your car. I think we've all done this since EVs are so quiet.

+1 about EV's being different. If I get out of sync with my normal routine to turn the car on or off then it often takes a few tries to get it turned off or on. Of course, that is often because I hit the button twice instead of once by mistake but once it's in a 'funny state' then I'm never 100% sure how to correct it in one shot.

Back