Grinding / Vibration Noice upon starting AC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrafi

Hi, I have 2018 Nissan Leaf SV which is about 2 years and 8 months old. Since the last few months I am getting this weird Vibration noice upon starting AC. I took the car couple of time to local dealer who keep saying that they could not find issues.

Does any one get this kind of grinding / vibration noice. I have the video will try to attach here , or provide a link

It can be hard to interpret noises recorded by phones, but if you are lucky it's a bad cooling fan motor. Have the dealership (or a mechanic, or you, if you are mechanically inclined) briefly disconnect each fan, and see if that kills the extra noise.

Maybe some leaves or other debris in the cabin blower? Have you tried just running the cabin fan by itself?

Starting the fan is not bringing noise. But when i start the AC aka compressor that when the grinding noice starts

mrafi said:
Starting the fan is not bringing noise. But when i start the AC aka compressor that when the grinding noice starts

Is the noise instant, or does it begin after a second or two? If instant, I'd be worried about it being the electric compressor unit.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32174&p=603713#p603713

I only have a weird whirring noise ON-OFF-ON-OFF on level 1, not when unplugged or level 2/3.

Since early September, the Leaf was not cooling intermittently also. This had happened three times in the last two week. Took the car to the local dealer and showed him the grinding noise video.

Now the dealer says that the entire AC compressor system need to be replaced. They did not say what exact parts they are replacing. Anyway the parts on order and ETA is 3 to 5 days.

I am lucky that this is being addressed 2 months before the warranty is expiring.

I will post more update once I get the service work report.

Both Nissan and its dealers are not doing good job .

I dropped the Leaf to get AC fixed on Sep 11th Saturday. I got the call from the dealer yesterday on Sep21that they got wrong parts and they have order again. The dealer is asking me to pick the car and drop again once they receive the right parts.

This is very frustrating.

The dealer is still waiting for parts. My 3 year warranty expires in a month. Lets say the parts comes after my warranty expires, will the repair still covered under warranty ?

Back