"check device" error when using USB port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

Getting this message on display of my 2014 S. Happened earlier this week. Then worked for a few days. Now back. This with two different USB flash drives formatted FAT32 and containing music mp3 files. One of the flash drives has worked fine in the port for past three years. A possible precursor event: I started using another drive last week with 16 GB storage capacity. But I'm guessing the port is failing. Have plans to visit dealer for some regular maintenance. Would like to think that testing and/or replacing it is not a big deal. One relevant post here on this issue suggested that they are prone to failure. Suggestions? TIA

If you can get it to work occasionally, set up an un-powered hub, and maybe use a single drop of some gentle glue - around the port, NOT in the port! - to anchor the cable in the port. That's assuming that the dealership wants a jillion dollars to replace it.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can get it to work occasionally, set up an un-powered hub, and maybe use a single drop of some gentle glue - around the port, NOT in the port! - to anchor the cable in the port. That's assuming that the dealership wants a jillion dollars to replace it.

Thanks. If I understand correctly, this fix assumes that the flash drives may not be seating properly in the port. That may be the case. I see USB male to USB female cables are only around $5. New ports about $85. I found a video of someone replacing the port on another Nissan model. Not too difficult. I'll continue to assess the problem and consider your solution.

Back