Leaf shifting into Drive briefly when shifting into Reverse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavebender

Wifey’s 2016 Leaf with 33k miles has started acting funny after three months of trouble-free driving. She always drives in Eco/B mode. Here’s her description;

“For the last couple of weeks, I’ve noticed that when I shift into reverse from park, I’ll end up in drive instead. This didn’t happen until a couple of weeks ago and it only happens about once every couple of dozen shifts (1:24). I’m watching for a pattern to when it happens.”

Transmission fluid, perhaps? Driver error? Blistering temperatures from this bloody heat dome over the Pacific Northwest?

Lol, not transmission fluid. All the ATF does in LEAF is lubricate the reduction gearbox; there's no mechanical shifting. Reverse is just reversing the polarity on the motor. The selector contains switches and sends electrical signals to the VCM to dermine the drive mode. Before troubleshooting the selector mechanism I'd first be very deliberate when shifting for a period of time; it's possible that the aberrations are being caused by imprecise movement of the lever. Also perhaps attempting to shift before the car is fully ready.

Nubo said:
Before troubleshooting the selector mechanism I'd first be very deliberate when shifting for a period of time; it's possible that the aberrations are being caused by imprecise movement of the lever. Also perhaps attempting to shift before the car is fully ready.

I suspected she was “clicking ahead” when shifting when she’s in a hurry, causing the issue, but didn’t want to be the one to tell her how to drive — Wifey no like that. I’d rather you guys did! 8~)

Wavebender said:
Nubo said:
Before troubleshooting the selector mechanism I'd first be very deliberate when shifting for a period of time; it's possible that the aberrations are being caused by imprecise movement of the lever. Also perhaps attempting to shift before the car is fully ready.

I suspected she was “clicking ahead” when shifting when she’s in a hurry, causing the issue, but didn’t want to be the one to tell her how to drive — Wifey no like that. I’d rather you guys did! 8~)

No offense to her; it's just the easiest/cheapest thing to rule out.

Nubo said:
Wavebender said:
Nubo said:

No offense to her; it's just the easiest/cheapest thing to rule out.

She had no problem with hearing it from you, so no offense taken. I take every opportunity to avoid pissing off my Texas-born blonde firecracker, so thanks for taking the hit, brother. I owe you one!

Back