Stop Vehicle error on info screen 2015 leaf conversion, Bricked ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49thdiver

Problem Solved see last post. :cool:
I am transplanting an entire leaf, running gear, motor, charger, abs back up camera, windshield wiper power steering the works to another vehicle a Grumman Olsen Kubvan.
This is the most resent video for those of that are curious.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B3FHfCHabwi6SrJT9
I have just achieved zero DTC error codes a couple of days ago and have been working on cleaning up the wiring harness in preparation for some serious test driving.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rw9H2YcpiQNvVgSN6
Everything was going well until I moved the data and control cable "B24" connected to the battery pack into a conduit to protect it. I was also working on faking the seat belt restraint system to get the light to go off on the instrument cluster in the same time frame.

When I went to test after moving the cable it I get the message "Stop Vehicle" as well as all kinds of error lights including the headlights and turn signals coming on and it goes without saying the annoying alarm.

Hoping I have not bricked it. I must have 100's of hours in this conversion so far.

It does not go into drive and once it is in this error state you can not turn the car off without disconnecting the battery.
Pressing the start button just kind of reboots the car in aux mode. I don't think it needs the key to restart when in this error mode.
Some functions still work, ie turn signal, charge port lock unlock. It appears that the BMS is powering up but I have not checked the can messages yet. It will not charge, no blue lights although the charge port light comes on and the green plug illuminates on the dash.
The worst thing is leaf spy pro will not connect it transmits a few init messages but just retrys
I have gone over everything two or three times battery voltage at the main relays is good but they do not come on.
The cable is fine I pulled it to look for any damage I have not done a continuity test yet.
The BMS as I said seems to come on, I installed Leds on the enable lines for a status indication.
I removed the airbag controller just in case.

Anybody else ever experienced this any suggestions on some kind of factory reboot of the VCM.

I did have this problem once before but it cleared up after a check over of connections and restart.
This time it is stuck. I do not imagine the dealer wants to see this conversion ;)
All of this has not helped.
I do have another VCM from a 2014, I know it will screw up the serial number and vin numbers but is there any harm in trying.
Any advice appreciated .... put it all back in the leaf is out of the question though.

You just sold me on getting a "thunderstruck" unit if I decide to swap mine out to something else...

I'm not a fan of everything being paired with everything else...

When you disconnected the B24-- was the 12V battery and the service plug still connected, or did you remove them first?

nlspace said:
When you disconnected the B24-- was the 12V battery and the service plug still connected, or did you remove them first?

Yes was disconnected. I have become suspicious about a possible HV insulation leak on the battery cable and am working on improvements. will advise.

NwCali6 said:
You just sold me on getting a "thunderstruck" unit if I decide to swap mine out to something else...

I'm not a fan of everything being paired with everything else...

Indeed, certainly there is beauty in the simplicity of the Thunderstruck product,, I did look at and was close to buying one but decided against it as I am committed to reusing as much of the leaf as I can. I already own it. I am thinking of this as sustainability project as much as anything else. Converting a 1984 aluminum van to an 80% Nissan Leaf seem worth the effort. Once it's finished whether the parts are paired or not will not make a difference to driving. With respect to pairing I do not think my current problem is a result of components being "paired" as far as I know the only two pieces that are paired are the VCM and the BMS. This has not been a problem in the conversion so far. the van has been running, driving and charging for a couple of months now with only minor issues. This new problem has come about thru some fault of my own.

Carefully check the wiring harness you disturbed including wires and connections. Also, check the seat belt stuff. I doubt that you "bricked" anything as long as you had all power disconnected while you were disconnecting/reconnecting wires. Leave the 12V battery disconnected for a few minutes before reconnecting after you complete your wiring checkout, then use LEAF Spy to check DTC's and post them so we can offer more suggestions.

From what I can see in the service manual, this error is referred to as the "DC/DC converter warning" and is triggered by a drop in the 12V bus voltage when the converter should be running.

wlpc09a.png

Nubo said:
From what I can see in the service manual, this error is referred to as the "DC/DC converter warning" and is triggered by a drop in the 12V bus voltage when the converter should be running.
That's great I was looking everywhere for that, I knew I had seen it somewhere. As good as the documentation is it could use a better index and would be so much more searchable if the tables etc were actually text.
Thanks for this see next post for the solution found today.

Problem Solved.
After fabricating a new extension cable from other salvaged Leaf parts, I discovered the problem. You guessed it not the cable or leakage. Turns out that if the H3 connector is not properly seated you may not have continuity. I discovered this when I was testing the new cable with an ohm meter before installing it. This was entirely my fault as I had not properly mounted the connector bracket after removing it from the battery back and installing it in the van. I still need to improve this but it is secure at this time.
Here is a picture of the extension cable which is made up from a PDM to Battery cable from another leaf.
I still need to add orange corrugated protection and a backing plate on the connector.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h3GwJANenqw33xxa7
I cut the PDM connector off and spliced another battery plug end onto it. Its the perfect length to connect the pack in the new vehicle.
The error message as noted by NUBO is correct the DC/DC converter was not working simply because the HV battery was not connected. I had noted the 12volt was not charging when I was doing my diagnostics and had placed an external charger on it to make sure that was not the issue.
The "disconnect" obviously occurred when I was installing the conduit for the data/control cable B24 to the pack which is adjacent to the battery cable. You were right GerryAZ, check the connections and indeed what I had disturbed.
Upgrading that cable was next on my list after the data cable so now both are done, tail lights are next and I will be ready for some test driving.
So very happy to have not bricked it. Thanks for everyone's interest.

Error in Nissan Docs :
Just a note in passing, page 27 in the EVB section of the 2015 manual seems to contradict page 162 of the EVC section. The diagram in EVB indicates the polarity of H3 at pin 37 negative and 38 positive The EVC connector diagram indicates H3 Pin 37 as positive and Pin 38 as negative. I believe the circuit diagram at EVB 27 is wrong and the connector diagram EVC 162 is correct. I base this on this snapshot of the battery pack connector casting here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFehsR8iSu6X5zVu8
You will note the plus and minus symbols in the casting and I will draw you attention to the H3 connector pin out at VC-44 showing the harness view of the connector. I would be happy to be wrong, the minimum of detail in the manual on the HV connections is challenging and I may be confused in my interpretation or misunderstand the orientation. Finally I note the diagram at VC-37 shows pins 38 H5 from the PDM connected to 37 of H3 and Pin 39 H5 from the PDM connected to Pin 38 of H3. OP perhaps there is somewhere else to post this if it is correct.

Back