Put a Leaf on a Flatbed without Keys

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctln91

Hi everyone.

I have to put a Nissan Leaf on a Flatbed truck but the owner does not have the keys, we can open but I was wondering how can I release the electronic brake or at least how can I put it in Neutral. Many cars have the shift lock but I can't find it on this one.

Solutions are welcome.

Best regards

My take would be to either just pull the car up while in gear (I assume tow trucks do this all the time and would know how to do it) or unbolt the drive axles from the transmission to release the front wheels.

See "Parking brake mechanical release" on page 6-16 of the 2012 Owner's manual:

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/NissanLEAF/2012/2012-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf

AFAIK, only the 2011/2012 LEAFs have an electronic brake (but perhaps 2018+ models have one too)

Ctln91 said:
Hi everyone.

I have to put a Nissan Leaf on a Flatbed truck but the owner does not have the keys, we can open but I was wondering how can I release the electronic brake or at least how can I put it in Neutral. Many cars have the shift lock but I can't find it on this one.

Solutions are welcome.

Best regards

"owner" huh?? Yeah...sure...whatever you say.

There are two things to release: The PARK gear is operated electrically on all model year LEAFs and must be released to allow the front wheels to turn. Read the Roadside Assistance Manual (available for download from Nissan Publications). The parking brake (if applied) secures the rear wheels. On vehicles with the foot pedal parking brake, it can easily be released with the mechanical release lever. There is a procedure in the manual to release the electric parking brake (all 2011 and 2012 models and some 2018 and later models). Since I don't know the legitimacy of the original post, I will not list the exact procedure--read the owner manual.

I had (have) no problems with the electric parking brakes on 2011 and 2019, but the 2015 with mechanical parking brake pedal required frequent adjustment of the cable or pedal mechanism.

Back