Dashboard goes OFF when headlights on

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

I drive a 2013 Nissan Leaf SV. In 8 years, it has been trouble free. Now it has developed a new quirk.

When driving during the day, it is perfect. When I turn on the parking lights (one click) or headlights (two clicks), the dashboard display goes off except for two normal-driving display lights. There is no speed, no state of charge, no current up/down dots, etc. Yet the radio display (SV with NAV) is bright as normal. While driving, I can turn off headlights and a second later, the dash lights up normally. When I switch the headlights back on, the dash instantly goes dark.

There are no fault lights or warning lights shown while driving. Outside air temperature has been between 50F and 70F.

I have LeafSpyPro and ELM, and it shows everything normal.

My first thought was a bad 12V battery, so I put a DVM on it. It is either at 14.4V when this happens, as if the Leaf is charging the battery, or 13.04V as if the battery is strong and doing its job, even with headlights on.

By the way, I have a habit of putting the 12V battery on a battery tender when not in use, hoping to prolong the life of the 12V battery. This is the original 12V wet cell (FLA) battery.

I parked the car a few times since noticing this quirk. It is consistent. Restarting the car doesn't change the behavior.

I haven't tried clearing anything or removing the 12V battery.

Is this a known symptom or bug?
Do you have any suggestions for debug?

Thank you for your help.

If this is a known issue, I'd really appreciate any details anyone can share.

I just checked and dashboard display brightness has no effect on this issue.

Thank you.

IIRC. There are two brightness settings: one with headlights on the and the other w/headlights off. How about turning on the headlights then adjusting the brightness?

You are right. Adjusting brightness with the headlights on fixed it.

Thank you!

Is there a dope-slap emoticon that I should include here?

Back