knightmb
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

Re: 2011 Will Not Charge After 8-Months

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:13 am

DJ1256 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:49 am
I do have a contact who is touch with a guy who works at the Nissan plant who knows these cars and he feels the car went into “safe mode” from sitting 8-months and needs to have a “Code Erase” as he put it.
Is there such a thing, I've never heard of a Leaf having a safe mode? Seems like if the 12v battery is dead, it's just "off" and if the 12v battery has voltage fluctuation from dying, you get random, weird stuff happen, random DTC codes, etc. But a healthy 12v battery and just sitting off for 8 months, the vehicle goes into a comma? Seems like dealerships would have issues or repo lots would have issues of dead Leaf vehicles everywhere?
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

DJ1256
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 4966

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 am

I am not convinced there is a safe mode, either. I am going to take my time before dropping the battery, but if need be, will do it. I don't have a lift, so need to find a place that is good to do the work. I read the link to the post Dala included where he thinks I need to check the precharge resistor, but nowhere in the post did I find where it showed this was the problem that was solved to get the car running. The best I could tell, the post never indicated that the car ever got fixed. Maybe I missed it, but read it three times. Regardless, I will have to move forward at some point and try this approach.

nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 pm

i would expect that a 1 month old brand new fully charged aux battery should easily read above 13.2v OCV and definitely not below 12.8.

i went thru a similar dead car incident in which the dealer declared the pack dead and no solution but to replace it, but turned out that the aux was the real culprit.

If you can read pack current with leafspy, then that indicates to me that the main contactors are engaged, and likely the precharge contactor sequence was attempted after the ground fault leakage check passed. there's a bunch of relays involved in the starting sequence and they all need a stong pull-in, hence the importance of the aux.

Make sure the A/C and Heat are off, or disconnect those HV connections to take them out of the picture. Your DTC can be thrown for a slow ramp up condition of the voltage on the buss capacitors in either the OBC or the Drive Inverter, depending on whether charging or driving.

i would want to measure the HV buss ramp up with an oscilloscope to see what is happening before going to all the effort to open the pack. Or it seems that Consult or some other tool could be used to measure the resistor value. If not then it should be.

DJ1256

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 am

Nlspace, you have some very good points regarding the car reading the battery pack voltage. I never thought of that. I don't know if a pecharge resistor failure would allow for the pack to read and display range miles. I would sure love to know if anyone does.

I charged the 12v battery and when the charger cut off, it was at 12.8v. I checked two other vehicles and they were at 12.6v and my other 2012 Leaf was at 12.2v, So, I don't currently have any 12v batteries with 13+ volt readings, but I have definitely seen them in the past that do. I suppose I could keep the battery charge as high as I can get it, clear codes and do a few restarts to see if I can get the car to reset. I will try anything before dropping the pack, but have to admit, had already accepted that I will have to do it. It has been raining here for a few days, so it is no good weather days to drop it outside, anyway.

As far as checking doing further diagnostic work such as you suggested, it is beyond my skill level and understanding and obviously do not own the tools. I do have an electrician friend who I plan to call upon if I have to drop the pack. He will be able to check out the resistor and other relays to see if they are faulty. I still hope it doesn't come to that. Thank you all again for the assistance.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:03 pm

You could run one of your ICE cars and then use jumper cables to the LEAF's 12V battery, so that the ICE'e alternator indirectly keeps your LEAF 12V as charged as possible.

You very likely need a new 12V battery for your other LEAF - 12.2v is not good. Most automotive stores that sell 12V batteries will do a free battery and alternator test for you.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

DJ1256

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:37 pm

Been giving it my all in the rain. :) Charged the Leaf battery until the charger cut off at 13.01v. Hooked booster cables to it and while the ICE was running, the Leaf Battery showed 14.26v. Cleared the codes several times, but always came back. I even cleared the codes and hooked the charger to it before starting and always the same result. Tries to communicate and then disconnects. The same inside when starting. It starts out with no warning lights in the dash, but as the car goes through its checks, the car with a mark through it reappears, indicating the high voltage error. I have reached out to a YouTuber who had a bad resistor and asked if he saw range in the car when he had the problem, but I don't think so because he indicated you could check it another way by removing the high voltage connecter from the battery and insert the probes into the battery and if you start the car, you should see 400v for a second or two on the meter. Sounds like a crazy plan, but that is what he said was another check without taking the battery apart. He had none. So, if he showed no voltage at the battery, it seems like the car GOM wouldn't be able to read the pack. Of course, I know nothing about this and why I am on here.

nlspace

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 pm

If he was not reading the pack voltage, then the main contactors did not engage, and as you mentioned there would probably be no GOM range displayed.

Maybe your external aux charrger is an automatic/smart device? Unless the voltage is taken up to and held at 14.4 for a period of time, then desulfation will not occur in a wet-cell lead acid battery and results in a less than fully charged condition Gel cells have a different and lower voltage requirement.

Since this is a "new" car to you with unknown past service history and attempts to repair this situation, then it might be worthwhile to check all the fuses and relays. You mentioned that some black box near the battery was disassembled--not sure what that is, but could that be important? You can't assume anything is good in a used car with problems, got to check and verify to be sure.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:43 am

SageBrush wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:00 am
Let me give you 3 pieces of sage advice:

1. Listen to Dala
2. Listen to Dala
3. Listen to Dala
I guess this is worth repeating...
2011 Blue Ocean SV
12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's low-power heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/85k miles

nlspace

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:09 am

What would be worth repeating is, if a moderator would move this thread to the troubleshooting or engineering section, since it has nothing to do with the website or forum section.

In the FSM, both the P3176 and P311C DTC have nearly a dozen troubleshooting steps to help rule out potential problems and hopefully drill down to the root cause.

This makes sense to check and rule out the easy stuff first before dropping the pack and removing the cover, which is not an easy task.

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:01 am

More Sage advice:

4. Your 12v is fine
5. Return to (1)
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles