Hacking BMS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojm10

Hi, I would like to use my older 24 kwh pack as home battery.

I don't want to mess around with individual cells, so the goal is to use pack as a whole. So it'll be high voltage system.

I will use an inverter, that I can set up as need.
I would set cutoff voltage to match cca 20% SOC, Charging voltage to be at 80% SOC,Charging and discharging current 25A max.
I will use DC disconnect and over current protection.

My questions are: In this scenario, does BMS need anything else other than 12V to run?

You should probably ask this in the engineering sub-forum as you will get more relevant attention there.

All I can tell you is that there is a lot of CAN bus communication going on but I don't know what is required to enable the battery output. That could be easily defeated by removing the main contactor or by wiring it directly to an external switch of some sort but that would require modifying high voltage components. I'd be surprised if the BMS will enable the battery output without any modifications to a bare pack but maybe it will work? If you don't want to mess with anything inside the pack, there are CAN bridges available that can mimic any required messages needed to get the output energized but I don't know what kind of software support exists for this strategy. Good luck and keep us posted with what you find out.

Back