2016 Leaf Green Ignition Relay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenaGiant

I am trying to find a replacement relay but having no luck finding the part number.

It is the green relay, ignition relay 1 in the service manual.

Annoyingly I cannot read the text on the existing one.

I can just about make out in the bottom left corner of the top face:
CM1
ACM

And on the right of the top face:
50117M
JAPAN

But that's about it.

The fuse box as a whole has X2 marked in big letters.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for the part number or a suitable replacement I would be very grateful.

Thanks

ACtC-3c62fsScCoq9VvCCuvovNDfdwSIpDF-uuMyfb-j2lwC6eFSqwQ_56LcLQVketTzobF55Br1H9w2sZSDqL4ix2hXIT0hlnMiloHXpdmhACjdJ5wP2GSiRnAbwcNntLlcAoXCRDKtg-Msmmbwlq9EPOJHcw=w553-h618-no

ACtC-3euDUYwDhvGSZcJksVCbysK9NfBKfFnQiQslBREp8QdzH3sQ8bHt6ERWXPy7w9IE5sBeMk_dcgfVPuIE2Z0p3UP0Kvfbc3VtIIIbYLoJg4xBhMQkv2eSYp4PKhYkaxn-J-D2UpD2XN2FtnQJE1stY4MsA=w760-h617-no

ACtC-3fNYG9ryIyIB8Jef0WND98h5xudwHoKb1fvM-RzvXE8h-ExhqxQSGu_z0ZWIeEBsyTFLb-nemAtpkMA21rKQ93P7ETWQ0mRcFJ3vXCQRlzOE_LX-edzb73urswMSKjNYMF_eW9DBIxIX-_--3EjuL8u-g=w447-h617-no

F24 is one of those blue fuses. Service manual appears to call the green thingy "ignition relay 1"

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-RY-640-Relay/dp/B005UW7P4W

My mistake, you're correct. It is the ignition relay.

I am not convinced the linked one is correct though? Blue, extortionately expensive and with no specification (current rating, voltage). Dimensions and weight are wrong too.

Sorry for being picky, I bought some generic 4 pin micro relays, matching the specification I thought it was and they are just a few mm too long to fit in the housing, Want to avoid that mistake again.

These are the ones I bought, slightly too big:
https://ebay.us/ghNG11

Cheers

Try parts.nissanusa.com part# 25230-79942

2016 Nissan Leaf ignition relay. Photo 9 of 10 shows pins.

GreenaGiant said:
My mistake, you're correct. It is the ignition relay.

I am not convinced the linked one is correct though? Blue, extortionately expensive and with no specification (current rating, voltage). Dimensions and weight are wrong too.

Sorry for being picky, I bought some generic 4 pin micro relays, matching the specification I thought it was and they are just a few mm too long to fit in the housing, Want to avoid that mistake again. ...

No need to apologize. I hope I gave enough info to lead to the right part.

Cheers guys, I have ordered a part 25230-79945, which seems to be the newer version and a bit cheaper too.

I'll post here once it arrives and is verified working or not!

So, unsurprisingly the one I bought is wrong. But if a panic but on a whim and it's normally closed, needs to be normally open. Otherwise it fits fine.

Annoyingly I can't find any of the normally open (green) relays on eBay. Other Google searches show it being sold for astronomical prices which I refuse to pay.

If anyone knows of an aftermarket relay that will fit, it seems slightly smaller than the iso standard for a 4pin, I'd be very grateful.

Dimensions measured with calipers are (d,w,h):
15x21x22mm not including pins. h=33mm including pins.

Cheers

Is there a part number on the relay you bought? If you can find the manufacturer, they probably sell an identical relay in the same configuration but in NO (normally open) vs NC (normally closed).

Hi, did you find a new relay? I am looking for one too.

My thread discussion here (just for future searches):
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23865&start=40

I cracked it too, but it says on the relay it’s a NAIS cm1a-r-12v-h91. Searching for that doesn’t help in terms of buying a new one, but does lead me to an image of the text I can’t read due to the damage. Which is ACM33221 M44.

Searching for ACM33221 leads me to lots of relays I can buy, but they have different M numbers. Does that matter?

Aliexpress sell them cheap but they will take ages to arrive. I have ordered one just in case I can’t find a uk source...

B9-FE7079-2-D56-4-FCC-9-AE2-9188-F0-E1-AD69.png

Interestingly (or not) my relay from a 2013 vehicle is the darker green like the left, whereas yours is lighter green like the right. Likely makes no difference, but ordered the darker ones as they match mine.

are you US based? Looks like they have them on eBay in the US just not in the UK.

Yes, I did eventually find one that works. Albeit without the latches on the sides but it is such a snug fit I am not bothered:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262717863620

Unfortunately, it hasn't 100% fixed my underlying issue but the relay is working fine.

I am still getting the I-KEY fault on the dash (I assume I need to clear the fault codes?) and regularly the car will not turn off (it turns off then immediately back on again, although some persistent button bashing normally works).

That’s the same issue that I have. Have a look at the thread that I linked. Everything I have read suggests a) it’s that relay b) it’s the bms or c) it’s the battery. Water getting in the windscreen may be a cause.

Cheers.

Yeah the 12V battery was knackered. I have replaced that now along with the relay but still have those issues. It is drivable, just annoying as hell. Thjankfully lockdown is giving plenty of time to do fault finding

NAIS-PANASONIC Manufacturer
Panasonic Electric Works Europe AG has manufactured miniature, industrial and specialized relays meeting highest technical requirements for over 30 years now. After the merger of Matsushita Electric Works and Matsushita Electric Industrial Ltd., Japan gained increasing importance with respect to the global marketing strategy, and thus the prevailing use of “NAIS” in the company logo was eliminated.

Panasonic CM Relays Datasheet

i suspect that the dash numbers are related to color and locking tab features of a special order, e.g. -h78, -h91

Good info there. Is there a difference between the sealed protection over the flux protection? I assume it doesn’t make a difference high one to buy?

EDIT - found the answer here:
https://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/e/control/relay/configuration/index.jsp?__hstc=195194419.eab8797738a6b9f636e0daae82433c92.1612865763664.1612865763664.1612865763664.1&__hssc=195194419.1.1612865763665&__hsfp=4242078714&_ga=2.172406179.1694226302.1612865761-745427652.1612865761

I swapped the ignition relay 1, cleared all the DTCs, charged the battery and it seems like it has worked. No errors. So hopefully that’s it - the relay being the cause, but we will see over the next few weeks... going to invest in a better tender as well I think to be safe.

Please post here detailed information on the new relay, as someone else will certainly benefit from that info in future

GreenaGiant said:
Yes, I did eventually find one that works. Albeit without the latches on the sides but it is such a snug fit I am not bothered:

Unfortunately, it hasn't 100% fixed my underlying issue but the relay is working fine.

I am still getting the I-KEY fault on the dash (I assume I need to clear the fault codes?) and regularly the car will not turn off (it turns off then immediately back on again, although some persistent button bashing normally works).

This is the relay I used. Same as Greenagiant.

2-E3-FD71-B-9613-4094-A82-E-0-E69-D4-AEA3-B0.jpg

7-FDC2-AF3-FD0-A-47-BB-866-E-B014426-C07-FE.jpg

792-B74-C1-0998-4-F9-E-B8-CD-4-B08-EEC6-BF1-D.jpg

It’s a CM1aF so a different sort of protection, and it’s taller, so I will swap it out when the aliexpress exact copy turns up, but seems to be working for now.

Mrouk said:
GreenaGiant said:

This is the relay I used. Same as Greenagiant.

2-E3-FD71-B-9613-4094-A82-E-0-E69-D4-AEA3-B0.jpg

7-FDC2-AF3-FD0-A-47-BB-866-E-B014426-C07-FE.jpg

792-B74-C1-0998-4-F9-E-B8-CD-4-B08-EEC6-BF1-D.jpg

It’s a CM1aF so a different sort of protection, and it’s taller, so I will swap it out when the aliexpress exact copy turns up, but seems to be working for now.

Agreed, good work!

It is indeed slightly taller but does seem to fit with no issues.

Thinking back, is there an easy way of getting the green relays out without breaking them? Those little latches are a nightmare to get at and manipulate.

Back