Nissan wont start or respond

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2021FDNY

I live in New York & its pretty cold so my assumption is that the issue may be that the battery is frozen but I read in the manual that it only freezes at temperatures of -15 or less. So is there anything I can do to warm my car up & figure out if the battery did freeze? What could be another reason for it to not turn on or even respond? It is fully charged because I literally just took it off the charger. Does anyone have any idea on what the problem might be??

It's most likely a dead 12 volt accessory battery. If you left the car plugged in for a long time after charging ended, this may have drained the 12 volt battery. This is a 2020 leaf? Year? Trim level?

It's a leaf s and the 12v battery is new. I had a similar issue a few months ago so i had it taken in the shop. They were able to fix it and replace the battery. Could the battery still be dead because of the overcharge?

Leaving the car plugged in for long periods after charging ends doesn't hurt the main/big battery - it can't be charged passed 100%. (Sitting at 100% charge can cause accelerated degradation in warmer weather, though.) It can, however, drain the charge from the little 12 volt battery, as the car checks periodically to verify that it's still plugged in, and it doesn't charge the 12 volt battery often enough to compensate for that drain.

If the battery was stone cold dead for any length of time, replace it. Try a size 51R AGM type battery, which will be more tolerant of deep discharges. If the battery was just weak (and hasn't been sitting that way for a week) try charging it up with an external charger. Was the car plugged in but not charging for many hours? If so, try to avoid doing that.

Back