I broke my "primary" 2018 LEAF key ... where to go to add a new key?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceGlorioso

Hello, everyone,

I got a low battery warning on my daily use key fob, and after changing the batteries, the key fob doesn't work.
I did check the battery and it's the correct one (CR2016) and I even put in another battery and cleaned the contacts inside.
The only thing I can think of is that I broke it replacing the battery. I'm at 38k miles, and I'm not sure the warranty even covers this.
Where can I go, what's the best place to go to get a new key added. I'm driving around with the second fob (with a new battery, too!)
Nissan isn't necessarily bad, I know it will be expensive to get the right new fob (with the charger port remote) no matter where I go.
Can I hear some experiences?

Thanks in advance,
Vince Glorioso

You can try putting the dead battery back in, and bringing it to the dealership, saying the battery went dead. Get a quote from them to replace the battery. It should be much less than a new fob, and they may think that they broke it, or it failed under warranty.

Did they change the battery on the newer Leaf FOBs? I could have sworn the OEM was a 2025 but many, including myself, install the slightly thicker 2032 because they are the same price but have 50% more capacity, resulting in longer battery life.....
As far as the OP, have you tried leaving the battery out of the FOB overnight and then installing it to see if an extended discharge might help? just a thought.

I had a key made locally by an EV shop. I had one key for my dad's car and wanted two. I think I paid about $200 for it and it works great.

jjeff said:
Did they change the battery on the newer Leaf FOBs? I could have sworn the OEM was a 2025 but many, including myself, install the slightly thicker 2032 because they are the same price but have 50% more capacity, resulting in longer battery life.....

I replaced my FOB battery this past September and it was the (OEM) 2025 type.

Vince -
I read that the 2016 battery is slightly thinner than the 2025, so maybe the 2016 battery is not making full contact inside the FOB?

For the record, 2016's are much thinner than 2025's; 2032's are slightly thicker than 2025's (and usually fit mechanically). All are 3v Lithium batteries.

Stanton said:
For the record, 2016's are much thinner than 2025's; 2032's are slightly thicker than 2025's (and usually fit mechanically). All are 3v Lithium batteries.
For button cells (like CR2016), the designation for round cells ("R") is DDHH, where DD is diameter in mm (e.g,. 20 = 20mm = 2cm) and HH is height in tenths of a mm (e.g. 16 = 1.6mm). The "C" is what designates it as a 3V lithium ("L" is used for 1.5V alkaline).

Thus, CR2025s are 0.9mm taller than CR2016s (25-16=9), and CR2032s are 0.7mm taller than CR2025s (32-25=7).

jlv said:
Stanton said:
For button cells (like CR2016), the designation for round cells ("R") is DDHH, where DD is diameter in mm and HH is height in mm. The "C" is what designates it as a 3V lithium ("L" is used for 1.5V alkaline).

Thus, CR2025s are 0.9mm taller than CR2016s, and CR2032s are 0.7mm taller than CR2025s.
I did not know that, thanks JLV :)

VinceGlorioso said:
Hello, everyone,

I got a low battery warning on my daily use key fob, and after changing the batteries, the key fob doesn't work.
I did check the battery and it's the correct one (CR2016) and I even put in another battery and cleaned the contacts inside.
The only thing I can think of is that I broke it replacing the battery. I'm at 38k miles, and I'm not sure the warranty even covers this.
Where can I go, what's the best place to go to get a new key added. I'm driving around with the second fob (with a new battery, too!)
Nissan isn't necessarily bad, I know it will be expensive to get the right new fob (with the charger port remote) no matter where I go.
Can I hear some experiences?

Thanks in advance,
Vince Glorioso

When did they switch to 2016? I just checked my 2016 fob and 2019 fob and they both still have 2025's

jlv said:
Stanton said:
For button cells (like CR2016), the designation for round cells ("R") is DDHH, where DD is diameter in mm and HH is height in mm. The "C" is what designates it as a 3V lithium ("L" is used for 1.5V alkaline).

Thus, CR2025s are 9mm taller than CR2016s (25-16=9), and CR2032s are 7mm taller than CR2025s (32-25=7).

Not quite correct. The height is actually H.Hmm so a CR2016 is 1.6mm, a CR2025 is 2.5mm, and a CR2032 is 3.2mm height respectively.

BillHolz said:
Not quite correct. The height is actually H.Hmm so a CR2016 is 1.6mm, a CR2025 is 2.5mm, and a CR2032 is 3.2mm height respectively.
I had that right when first wrote it and then came back and thought I was off by 10 so I edited from "0.9mm" (correct) to "9mm" (inflated). :(

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

I visited Sutherlin Nissan in Fort Myers and they were very nice and couldn't believe the key stopped working when I replaced the battery. They tried to replace the battery themselves (free) to no success.

They verbally gave me a price of $330 to $400+ to replace the key. I had a ceiling in my brain of $200 to replace the key with a new one, so, the broken master key will stay in the car and will go back to Nissan when I turn in the car in about 10 months.
Since the chance of my secondary key with a new battery going bad in this time is slim, I am not going to replace it.
I'll have to risk it.

Back