2014 Nissan Leaf SV Radiator Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iOn9000

Was wandering if anyone has had any experience replacing the radiator.
Mine has a tiny crack in the top left corner (as determined by dealership) which leaks coolant to a certain lvl - i need to top up about 800ml for it to be back to full.
Had a look under the bonnet and it appears that the radiator comes out from the bottom as it'd be too complicared doing from the top - QC wires + the center beam (anti-roll bar?) Would need to be disassembled, etc).
Spent the whole day digging and tiliing the driveway just so that i'd be able to lift the whole front end of the car and put it on jack-stands...
I'm nackered..
Couldn't find any vids/guides online.
I replaces the radiator on my Mazda Astina GT a while back and it was fairly straightforward, despite a tight squeeze in a few odd places...

Any help info would be appreciated!

With all due respect the radiator on the LEAF is classified as being part of a "High Voltage Cooling System" and any "quick leak fixes" are only meant to give you a temporary solution to get you by until you can eliminate the issue alltogether.

In any case, I've already ordered a new radiator - which arrived yesterday - and am planning on replacing it. (Haven't checked if it includes a new set of O-rings).

Don't want to get it replaced at the official dealership as their workmanship is of disgraceful quality...

Anyway, it appears that I was wrong, and that the radiator comes out outwards.
From what I've gathered the procedure looks as follows:
* Disconnect 12v Battery
* Remove the front bumper
* Remove the headlight units to get more room to work
* Disconnect the AC/DC Charger cables ( don't think you need to remove the Service Plug / VCM Fuses for that, provided that the 12v battery is disconnected for ca. 10mins)
* Remove Proximity Alarm Unit
* Remove Radiator Upper Mount ( that's what I reckoned was the "anti-roll bar"
* Drain Coolant
* Unplug Radiator Hoses
* Remove Radiator Fan Assembly along with Radiator

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or if you know of a more efficient way to do it!

Also, has anyone have any prior experience disconnecting the higj-voltage wires running from the AC/DC ports or removing the unit alltogether ?

Cheers,
Jeff

Got it replaced a few weeks ago but was busy with daily errands to report on it, my apologies.

So, if anyone is interested, here's the procedure in a nutshell:
*NB! Use workshop manual as a reference!

1) Raise the front of the vehicle off the ground and secure on jack stands - minimum clearence will depend how much overhead room you'll need to remove a couple of clips and unscrew a few bolts.
2) Open the hood and disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v battery. And the remove the 'upper radiator grille' - the C-shaped plastic bit that conceals the radiator/fans.
3) Remove the front underbody 'mud guard' made of pressed fiber.
* People living in harsh rust-inhibiting climate might see a severe corrosion damage of the lower frame - needs to be addressed asap.
4) Remove the front wheels and the plastic wheelarch liners, (held in place by 8mm clips)
5) Remove the headlight units - it will make the removal of front bumper much easier.
6) Remove Charge Port lid and plastic cover.
7) Remove the front bumper (can be safely done by one person if you loosen it from the sides and carefully pull it out from the middle) and the styrofoam rim (be careful when pulling it out as you can easily damage it)
8) Remove the lower radiator mounting apron - the C-shaped thick plastic bit underneath the bumper.
Hint: it's also held in place by a few plastic clips facing the bumper's front.
9) Remove the air ducts/channels,
10) Remove the horn with it's mounting bracket.
11) Un-bolt the EVSE mounting braket from the top.
* Loosen the 4 nuts, each, holding the high-voltage cables to the mounting bracket and move them aside.
12) Remove the plastic radiator guard.

Now you should have clear access to the radiator.
Replacement is straightforward as taking out the old and putting in the new one. Cooling fans are located behind the radiator as a separate unit that needn't be removed.

Spoiler alert: "b*itch-clamps" hold up to their name. Appropriate tool is necessary to save time...

Tip: when assembling the EVSE mounting braket, first, tighten the horn braket to the frame, then fix the top part of the bracket to the frame. Now, align the middle part of the bracket.

Difficulty level: moderate
Workshop time estimate: 3-4h

Regards,
Jeff

Radiator is not high voltage blabla.
It can be repaired easily and safely.

Nissan just wants you to buy as much as you can :lol:

Back