'Parking Sensor Off' - Mystery message???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLight

Since I first arrived home in my newly acquired 2019 40kwh Leaf, every time I 'start' the car, the large message window 'Parking sensor Off' appears over the Range/Driving Mode display. I clear this by selecting 'Ok'.
Either this is a message telling me that the sensors are always active as I start to move from a parked position (giving me the option to turn them Off, or merely clear the message(if required) or it's a message advising that somehow the sensors have been partially disabled.
I have looked everywhere, the manual, numerous forums, Google, but can see no earthly reference to Parking Sensor pop-ups, or relevant error messages in troubleshooting guidance.
There is no reference to turning parking sensors on or off in a Nissan Leaf.

The parking sensors don't appear to be fully working, only quietly beeping when I am dangerously near to a car/wall etc. This may be normal but I've nothing to compare with.

Any thoughts, experience, technical or anecdotal advice?

Many thanks

Hi, did you find an answer to your question? I seem to have the same problem with my brand new Lead, and I realized that when I get that kind of message, the parking sensors are off for good.
Thank you.

The parking sensors don't appear to be fully working, only quietly beeping when I am dangerously near to a car/wall etc. This may be normal but I've nothing to compare with.

If they beep when you are too close to a solid object, then they are working.

I seem to have the same problem with my brand new Lead, and I realized that when I get that kind of message, the parking sensors are off for good.

Why do you conclude that?

On a related note, my housemate just drove her/our new 2020 Leaf for the first time a couple of days ago. I remember seeing a message about parking sensors on the screen, but while I'm not sure, I think it was "Parking sensor ON."

If they beep when you are too close to a solid object, then they are working.

They don't always work, sometimes the "parking sensors OFF" message randomly (or at least it seems) appears.

Why do you conclude that?

Because the behavior differs from time to time, and I can't figure out the reason why. The system settings show that sensors are ON and display is ON, but sometimes they don't beep at all, and some other times they beep but no display appears. I'm having the car checked today btw...

LeftieBiker said:
It sounds like you have one or more failing parking sensors. The ones on my 2018 SL don't work 100% of the time either, though...
You know what's weird though? The problem seems to occur only after I connect my smartphone to the Leaf via BT, otherwise the sensors always work. I know this is completely unrelated, but I observed this behavior. I only got the car for a few weeks, so I can't really say that this is a clear pattern, but I'll work on that... ;)

Hello everyone, just trying to find out if anyone else had this issue and maybe there is a possible solution to this warning I'm getting in my 2019 40 kWh Leaf, any feedback greatly appreciated
It is an intermittent fault and I think I'm only getting when it's wet, not necessarily pooring rain at the time when it happens, it can be wet after a night and driving along, could be after a 30 mins. drive and strangely enough when I come to a junction or traffic lights, after a full stop the warning message comes up:
" Parking sensor system fault. See owners manual"
My dealer was extremely unhelpful, I explained the issue when arrived for warranty appointment and I was told that if the fault is not present when they will perform the scan, I will have to pay up €85, which is crazy by any standards in my opinion. So I turned around and walked away.
I have scanned with my own OBD scanner and it is showing fault with all sensors, 4 front ones and 4 rear ones and surely enough when warning is not present - no fault codes present also.
Other than that, sensors working perfectly fine when there's no fault.

I’ve only taken delivery of mine today and the parking sensor is off warning keeps popping up. I heard beeps occasionally but now they seem to have 10 themselves off and I can’t figure out why

Please keep us informed. I only took delivery today and I’m having the same issue on a 2018 version.

Parking sensors worked intermittently but now getting the warning sign and seem to be off

I would not but it is entirely different problem with different fault message on the dash, and I was being specific in my post looking for answers from people with the same issue.

There are only a few people here at any given time, and they will see the post here. It's the same system. There is no need to try to make the post more visible by making a new topic.

this just started happening to me a few days ago. and as of the 11th my Leaf is not updating the NissanConnect app.
Anyone have any ideas?

Mine's a used 2020 that I bought last month. Everything was working fine until a few days ago.

Replying to this old topic to add more info and keywords.

I agree with @LeftieBiker, the prompt on the screen gives the drive the opportunity to temporarily disable the alert by pressing OK on the steering wheel.

This can come in handy when in reverse while towing a trailer, particularly with auto braking enabled.

Back