US Car in Canada Flickering Headlights When Car OFF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeZ

Purchased a 2016 SL August 2019. Car was originally from Washington. We always use the switch and turn the lights completely on when we are driving. What I've noticed recently is that with the car off the headlights will start flickering and strobing randomly then stop. Sometimes when you first turn the car on with the light switch in the off position the lights will strobe and flicker. Has anyone else dealt with this? I drove the car to work this morning and I've had two people tell me the lights are flickering with the car just sitting there. When I go out and look they've been off.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm fairly sure that it's related to the DRL conversion that was likely done for Canadian import. They do get botched regularly...

I'm going to agree with you on that. As on occasion the lights will turn on full just like DRL's are supposed to. 90% of the time they don't turn on unless we use the switch.

Is there an easy diy fix to this?

Sounds like you are in Vancouver...

Westwood Honda would be another good choice, as they sell a lot of used LEAFs and do DRL conversions all the time as a result.

alozzy said:
Sounds like you are in Vancouver...

Westwood Honda would be another good choice, as they sell a lot of used LEAFs and do DRL conversions all the time as a result.

I'm on Vancouver Island. Westwood Honda is where we purchased the vehicle from.

At this point it's not a huge deal, we use the switch and turn the lights on anyway.

I am also having this issue with my 2014 SV. The car came up to Canada from the US, and I bought it used (private sale). The DRL worked well for a while, but now they flicker intermittently while driving, and sometimes even when the car is charging. It's pretty distracting for other drivers, not to mention my poor neighbours as my car faces their house while charging.

I asked the local Nissan dealership about it, and (not surprisingly) they had no idea what could be done. I also called Westwood Honda as was suggested here. I was told that they send their US LEAFs out to have the Canadian conversion (including DRL) done. I called the shop they apparently send them to, and was told that they don't actually do that work there.

So...dead end. I have just been turning my headlights on whenever I get in the car - but would love to find an actual solution for this.

What type of headlights do you have? I think with a 2014 SV if there is a CHAdeMO port you have LED headlights, otherwise standard halogen. LED's are current driven while halogen just run off the nominal 12V supply.

Back