2012 PTC heater resistance?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

After several weeks of waiting due to my work schedule, we finally had the time to begin the PTC heater replacement on our project 2012 Leaf. A couple of things. First, has anyone ever tested the resistance of the heating element on a known working PTC heater? I'd like to compare what I have on mine (600 kilohoms, dealer says defective, despite all codes mentioning on board charger), vs the one I bought to replace it with. I did open up my old one to look for internal damage. I found a few of the terminals had popped off of the tabs for the heater, and some light discoloration. Due to how much of a process this is to replace, I would like to verify that the used part I bought is in fact a good working part (reads 5 megahoms on my multimeter).

Also, is there a means of bulletproofing these before reinstalling them. I know how to use a soldering iron, and have no hesitation to performing work on the electronics. Thanks in advance.

If the PTC has been isolated and there's no solid state power controls between the PTC and the meter it should only be reading double digit ohms, if it were good.
No heating element should be reading thousands or millions of ohms.

The only way to bullet proof them is install a diesel fired hydronic heater. That way the PTAC doesn't have to work nearly as hard.

Any change you can link some pictures of what you are doing?

It's a 5000 watt heating element. With the pack about 350 volts, the resistance of the element should be around 24 Ohms.

Thanks. Short of opening it up, and removing the boards, I'm pretty sure there are components in the mix.

Back