How to replace rear windshield wiper

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

I replaced my fronts.
The instructions on the new Nissan rear blade part says to pull rear piece vertical and the rotate blade off. I cannot lift arm vertical, it only releases a few inches off rear windshield.

Anyone done this?

Thank you mwalsh, but I still can’t figure it out.
The arm will not raise off the windshield but and inch or two.
There is no clearance to rotate the blade arm. When I try to rotate the blade arm it just hits the glass.
Anyone else actually do it?

Yes. You should be able to raise the arm until it's close to 45 degrees angle to the glass, then there is room to rotate the blade. Look at the last picture in that blog post and you can see the angle.

Maybe your wiper arm is just stiff from dirt or corrosion? If you're afraid to put more pressure you can always just remove the wiper arm entirely to replace the blade.

Baltneu said:
Thank you mwalsh, but I still can’t figure it out.
The arm will not raise off the windshield but and inch or two.
There is no clearance to rotate the blade arm. When I try to rotate the blade arm it just hits the glass.
Anyone else actually do it?

Did you pop off the plastic cover that hides the nut holding the arm to the motor shaft first?

Did it!
You really have to yank down on the end of the blade to release it from the arm.
The new one went on easily because it only goes on one way aligning the grooves with the notch on the new unit.

Can you provide a couple more details on which end you yank down and in which direction? Using one hand to hold the assembly? I had this same problem in removing the rear wiper.

Baltneu said:
Did it!
You really have to yank down on the end of the blade to release it from the arm.
The new one went on easily because it only goes on one way aligning the grooves with the notch on the new unit.

jdcbomb said:
Can you provide a couple more details on which end you yank down and in which direction? Using one hand to hold the assembly? I had this same problem in removing the rear wiper.

Baltneu said:
Did it!

I will try. You lift up the rear windshield assembly. I used the WW’s from Nissan. The instructions for disassembly and assembly are inside. The instructions say you need to bring the arm assembly “vertical” to the rear window. That is impossible with the Leaf assembly. The assembly will only lift a few inches off the windshield. So with the assembly up as far as you can go, pull down on the rear section of the blade so it will rotate. This is no easy feat because of the limited distance that the assembly is off the window. As you pull, there is very little room between the assembly and the window, but you have to give it a real good pull, it won’ t break. Once it is off, time to install the new unit. It will only go on in one direction because of the indentation and groves in the wiper blade you are about to put on. You just have to rotate the blade assembly a little and give it a good push.

Hi all, just bought my first leaf, a 2018 sv 40kw. bought in middle of February in Ontario! so its sitting in my garage
until the white stuff melts! Going over it I noticed the mechanic for a safety check never even bothered to replace a
badly deteriorated rear blade. I'm actually glad he did not try to get it off the usual way.
I tried the earlier posts of bending and pulling the old blade, nothing moved. Then tried plan B removing the 10 mm nut on end off arm assembly( its under the black cap which easily pries off by hand) the whole assembly lifted right off the spline shaft, this allows you a perfect look at what your doing when now removing the old blade. The arm was back on with a spot of grease on the spline to prevent it from ceasing on.
I am sure this is how the dealership would do it. Ray.

Back