Remote Start (Cabin Heating) Intermittent 2019 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyscholes

My last several cars have had remote start (cabin heating in a LEAF) that has made me rather lazy. Here in Colorado Springs, we were hit with quite a bit of snow yesterday, covering my LEAF in the driveway. Since it was still on the charger, I started remote heating via the app to melt the snow on the windows. I think that the heater runs for two hours when the car is charging, but there does not seem to be an indication on the app whether or not it is actually working. After a few hours, with me restarting the heater via the app a few times, the side windows were clear. When I walked by it, the heater was not running. I restarted the heater on the app, but the indicator lamps on the heater did not light. An hour later I tried it again and it started working.

Is there any way to know remotely when the heater is active? Is there a way to know when it starts and stops? What would cause it not to engage?

Any insight is appreciated,
Marty

I had assumed that when the wobbling fan blade icon on the app turns into a spinning fan blade icon, that the climate control has successfully started. It didn't occur to me that this might not be the case...

I have found the network connection path between the phone and the car to be finicky. The app uses cell service or wifi ( I think) to contact Nissan's servers then their system contacts the car.
I have found if the car has compromised service or my phone does the trigger won't work. I'd say 75% of the time it works may be.
As far as feedback as to whether the climate control is on or not I have the text acknowledgment option turned on in the app. I get a text most of the time when the trigger is successful.
I attribute most of the issues I have to bad cell service. I am in Vermont with AT&T. Bad combination.

If you're looking for a feature that the vehicle will notify you when the heater turns OFF after remote start, this does not exist. I'm sure an app developer (or Nissan's) could set this up as it's not that hard to do. But the current app does not have this. There are also not text / email notifications when it turns OFF.

For the vehicle to notify you if the heater turns ON successfully, this feature is already enabled. You have to setup the text or e-mail notification via the Nissan Owner Portal (NOT through the app). The same notification system will send a "failure" text or email if the command did not process successfully but won't give you a specific reason why. It would be nice also if the app could "receive" these notifications but that specific path does not exist.

That is odd. I have notices configured and am notified when the status is updated, when the cabin temperature is updated, and when charging ends. I do NOT receive notification of failure to start cabin heating, nor can I see cabin heating status in the app.

The fan spins in the app then collapses into a check mark, but sometimes does not activate in the car. I am leaving for Cripple Creek in an hour and will need all off the battery available, so I want it to warm up over the next hour while attached to 220 volt EVSE. I started it in the app, but is it really working? I would rather not get bundled up just to go outside and look through the window of the car.

This is at least partially solved. I always started the climate control from a shortcut on the home screen. That does not appear to generate a confirmation. It seems climate control can be started in the menus, which does send a confirmation.

Just to clarify some things mentioned in this thread: Remote climate control will run for 2 hours when car is plugged in or 15 minutes on battery power. The desired temperature set point (in setup menu) needs to be high enough to call for heating or low enough to call for air conditioning in order for remote climate control to work reliably. The car uses AT&T cellular service so remote access even from a computer with internet connection will not work without reasonable AT&T signal at the car. Email and text notifications can be set up for both climate control started and climate control stopped.

GerryAZ said:
Just to clarify some things mentioned in this thread: Remote climate control will run for 2 hours when car is plugged in or 15 minutes on battery power. The desired temperature set point (in setup menu) needs to be high enough to call for heating or low enough to call for air conditioning in order for remote climate control to work reliably. The car uses AT&T cellular service so remote access even from a computer with internet connection will not work without reasonable AT&T signal at the car. Email and text notifications can be set up for both climate control started and climate control stopped.

2 hours?? WOW, that is a huge change from my 2011!

I was beginning to wonder if I was going crazy, as I checked my e-mail history and did not find any recent e-mails indicating the climate had success or failure to execute. Then you confirmed behavior below that activating the climate control in the home screen popup won't send any message. Bizarre that if you do it in the full app window the notification is sent, but NOT in the widget popup.

Nissan must be farming the app development to the lowest bidder to have these missing feature and inconsistent user interface examples.

martyscholes said:
This is at least partially solved. I always started the climate control from a shortcut on the home screen. That does not appear to generate a confirmation. It seems climate control can be started in the menus, which does send a confirmation.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GerryAZ said:

Sorry Dave--you are remembering wrong. 2011, 2015, and 2019 will all run climate control for two hours if activated remotely while plugged in.

GerryAZ said:
Email and text notifications can be set up for both climate control started and climate control stopped.

Just to clarify the "stopped" part...this is ONLY if the system successfully activated first. I think the OP was annoyed that the system didn't notify on failure (which it's supposed to do). But now we know it's because widget activation won't send any notification whatsoever...

jdcbomb said:
GerryAZ said:
Email and text notifications can be set up for both climate control started and climate control stopped.

Just to clarify the "stopped" part...this is ONLY if the system successfully activated first. I think the OP was annoyed that the system didn't notify on failure (which it's supposed to do). But now we know it's because widget activation won't send any notification whatsoever...

I know I received failure emails if the climate control failed to activate after a period of time with the 2015, but have not had a failure yet with the 2019. By the way, remote access will not work on older Leafs unless the cellular modem (telematics control unit or TCU) has been upgraded to 3G.

GerryAZ said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GerryAZ said:

Sorry Dave--you are remembering wrong. 2011, 2015, and 2019 will all run climate control for two hours if activated remotely while plugged in.

Must be the "plugged in" part that confused me. My LEAF lives in garage. She simply refuses to be homeless so all my experience with remote climate control was of the unplugged and away from home variety.

Back