Defective Coolant temperature sensor replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggtronic

Hello .. best way to introduce yourself to a new forum is to gave information !

i have a 2015 Leaf whos waranty just tresspass (basic 3 years 60 000km)

suddunly, one day, all radiator fan kick in 100% while driving or charging
even if i did not ask any AC task ... car inverter dead cold...

then find other user that had to get the coolant sensor replaced...

part number is 22630 3NAOA and cost 30$us (up to 60$cad ! )

to change this sensor yourself , if your warranty cannot work ,
you need to access below the windshield washer fluid filling area:

1--unplug 12v battery ground (might prevent ECM dammage ? )
2--remove the charge port door , 4 little screws
3--remove the big plastic covering the radiator + charge port
, need to split the cover wings around the charge port to exit charge port door inge
4--to keep all coolant liquid in , ask for help while doing the
sensor swap
5--release coolant pressure , removing coolant cap
6--unscrew the old sensor and ask your partner to swap the
oring to the new sensor while you block coolant port with
one finger
7--install the new sensor WITH the oring and gently screw it back

00_Leaf_NoPlasticCover2.jpg

01_Leaf_NoPlasticCover1.jpg

02_Leaf_Coolant_Sensor1.jpg

03_Leaf_SensorTest.jpg

04_Leaf_Good_Sensor2822ohm.jpg

05_Leaf_Defect_Sensor215ohm.jpg

Hi!

I have a 2012 and the coolant sensor is not the same place. Side side (on the left / front view) but facing the rear of the care (instead of front).

Does somebody knows of to remove the sensor on a Leaf Gen 1 (2011 2012) ?
I can reach it but I can't remove it by hand, and there is not enough place for a 19mm box (1/2) or wrench.

Any help would be appreciated.
I hope there is another way than removing the radiator...

Thx,
Alex

I’ve had the problem for two months.
I’m ordering the part now. Thanks for the info.
$60CAD + tax, no stock at dealerships.

Adding update.
45 minutes to put in.
Used a small screwdriver to push in a clip to release the socket.
Used a 3/4 inch socket by hand to remove and replace the sensor.
Cleaned off dust from all the parts and lubed all springs and hinges while areas were exposed.
Worked like a charm.

Had the issue. Diagnosed at dealers for 67 EUR, fixed in a shed for 25EUR (including 17 EUR part). Thanks guys!

GazzaGwire said:
Thank you so much for posting this! £3.50 from eBay and I'm back in business. 😊

Couid you point me in the direction of which listing has this part on eBay UK for this price?

I'm having the same issue - didn't even realise it was an issue until I was in another Leaf and was amazed at the complete absence of any sound, I had assume the fan hum was a permanent feature.

Just a follow-up on my own experience. I managed to find the necessary part for around £5 on eBay but I hit a stumbling block while fitting it on my 2014 Leaf as there was not enough leverage to get my fingers through the gap to remove the old sensor. I took it to a mechanic friend and the solution was simply removing the screenwash pipe to gain access, which seems obvious in hindight - but since it wasn't mentioned in the above guide I was hesitant to go down that route without knowing it was ok to do so. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Just for info (from a Brit):

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor this afternoon and everything now all looks good! The fan (which had become always-on) is now silent.

To get to the sensor on my 2017 1st gen Leaf was really easy: remove the radiator top shield (take out 6 push-in plastic studs and then wiggle the tray out), then hold the windscreen washer fill tube out of the way after removing its one push-in stud. Getting the wiring plug off of the sensor was by squeezing the tab very hard and pulling. Remove the sensor body with a 19mm spanner (easy), wife puts her finger on the hole to stop too much coolant loss, move the rubber o-ring to the new sensor and screw the new sensor in. I've pushed the wiring plug back in to the new unit as best as I can but I'm not convinced that it is fully clipped in so will have to re-visit.

The new part was £9.90 from eBay.co.uk (branded: 'Fuel Parts').

For interest I used my ohm meter to test the old and new sensor:
Old (broken) sensor: dipped in to cold water: 470 ohms; dipped in very hot water: 420 ohms. So very little difference.
New sensor: dipped in cold water: 2160 ohms; room temp: 2000 ohms; dipped in very hot water: 400 ohms. So a large difference.

So many thanks to all on the UK and U.S. forums who have helped me with this.

I wanted to thank the OP and other posters. I just did this fix to my new-to-me 2013 leaf SL.

Can confirm the old sensor read about 480 ohms at ambient temperature, the new was just under 2000 ohms at the same temp, and the warmth of my hand would start to change the reading.

Fix was very easy. A couple extra notes for the newbies:

Remove the charge door from its hinges, bolts are 10mm w round end. Hinges stay attached.

There are 10 plastic rivets to take off the plastic cover. Remove with small flat head screwdriver, pop up the center circle and remove. If you pry them out without popping, they will break.

Cover just squeezes over hinges, wiggle it off gently.

The washer fluid tube is very easy to take out to create more space. Remove the plastic rivet that connects it to the cross bar, then slowly but firmly pull straight out and it will pop out of the reservoir. It goes back in just as easy.

The sensor electrical connection is an easy one, just squeeze and pull, no tricky pull-up tabs.

The sensor is 19mm. A long socket or ratcheting box end wrench will work way better than a crescent wrench.

The coolant starts to pour immediately. Definitely follow OPs advice to have a helper swap the o ring.

Don’t forget to tighten back up your coolant cap, I almost forgot!!

Back