KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Re: URGENT! - Cannot charge anymore !

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Nubo wrote:511 GIDs :shock:

The computer is confused or maybe getting crazy sensor readings. Hopefully Nissan can sort it out inexpensively.
Oh I'm so glad it wasn't just me.
511 Gids?
I was feeling inadequate for sure. :mrgreen:
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:51 pm

A GID is about 80 watt-hours
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

kilimats
Delivery Date: 13 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 2011

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks guys, good to know !

got a call back from the dealer, they found a dozens of error codes, after clearing them the car started charging again.

While investigating they found the weird trunk cable i was asking about here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After seeing that after market mod they stopped and put the blame on it, they recommended removing it and sealing the battery, guy say it could be water condensation through the cable holes giving those error codes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and labor to clear the code and find that cable $200 ish.... :oops: :cry:

Now the here is the killer, they estimate a few grand to get that cable removed and battery sealed to avoid condensation :o :o :o :o

Im going to pick the car tonight and think this through, im thinking about calling Nissan to see if they can help me, dealer want $$, Nissan might be kinder i hope...

kilimats

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Question for you guys, the dealer got this resolved by clearing the codes, how can i do this on my own next time it happens to me? im not ready to spend a few grand on getting a cable removed yet. want to balance all my option first but need to drive the car until then

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:33 pm

LeafSpy ;)
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

kilimats

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

keydiver wrote:LeafSpy ;)
Oh geez, so i need to buy a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an android phone ? is there an easier way? i've got the leaf stat app working fine, too bad it doesnt support code clearing grrrr

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:12 pm

511 Gids is obviously non nonsensical. There are other flags that essentially say "ignore this because of X error".

That cable could easily have caused the HV isolation failure. The system is quite sensitive.

Leaf spy will work with WiFi adapters now, so you don't need a new one of those. You will need an Android phone/tablet and $14 for the LeafSpy Pro. You can get cheap android phones for $40 (search the forum). Doesn't need to have service, obviously.

I believe Engineer (the one on the forum, not the bankrupt company) has removed one of these cables before. My guess is that it taps into HV wiring for the charger, not the actual pack itself.
Former 2012 SL leasee (6/23/12 - 9/23/15)
Former Honda Fit EV leasee
Former Chevy Spark EV owner
Now driving Tesla Model 3

davewill

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:04 pm

If it were my car, I'd pay the money for the diagnostics and thank goodness that it wasn't more. I'd then find a way to better seal the pack. I'd get it removed, ASAP. I'd either go ahead and pay the few grand to the dealer, find out what shops were/are doing the installations and see if they would give you a quote on the "deinstall", or see if the forum could give you a referral to someone who could fix it without killing the car or themselves.

As far as getting an android device, check around on eBay or amongst your acquaintances. I'm sure you can find someone's antiquated android smartphone for almost nothing. Pretty despicable for someone to sell you the car without disclosing that cable.
Last edited by davewill on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:17 pm

kilimats wrote:Question for you guys, the dealer got this resolved by clearing the codes, how can i do this on my own next time it happens to me? im not ready to spend a few grand on getting a cable removed yet. want to balance all my option first but need to drive the car until then
Do you mean the LEAF will now charge once they cleared all the high voltage codes?

But even if you use LEAF Spy Pro to clear codes that is a short at best and dangerous unwise at worst approach.
Clearly the range extension cables tie in to the high voltage wiring "splice" is failing and the failure is getting worse with time, which usually happens with that kind of failure.
You just need to find someone like the person that put in the range extension cables that can cost effectively and properly remove them and long term properly repair the high voltage cables.
Of course who put it in to start with may have done a poor job or it would not be failing this soon.
No way it should be direct into pack.
Pack is pressure test and leak tight with contactor inside and has been demonstrated to survive severe flooding.
If that is what was done --- Incompetent.

Was bad practice for anyone to sell the car with these in place, unless they disclosed the fact.
But used vehicle sales are often done under an as is buyer beware basis.
You may have just lost big in the game of chance of used car purchasing.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

EVDRIVER

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:36 pm

kilimats wrote:Thanks guys, good to know !

got a call back from the dealer, they found a dozens of error codes, after clearing them the car started charging again.

While investigating they found the weird trunk cable i was asking about here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After seeing that after market mod they stopped and put the blame on it, they recommended removing it and sealing the battery, guy say it could be water condensation through the cable holes giving those error codes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and labor to clear the code and find that cable $200 ish.... :oops: :cry:

Now the here is the killer, they estimate a few grand to get that cable removed and battery sealed to avoid condensation :o :o :o :o

Im going to pick the car tonight and think this through, im thinking about calling Nissan to see if they can help me, dealer want $$, Nissan might be kinder i hope...

That looks like a hack installation job and the tape used to isolate that cable is an extreme hazard waiting to happen. If that is connected to the pack and is not properly installed and isolated you have a huge HV hazard. That picture is very scary and moisture is the least of the concerns I would have.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”