Brake issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotd77

I am in GA and leased 2015 leaf S. I had it for 3 month and symptom started couple weeks ago. When I slow down to the stop sign or red light then my leaf will slow down and hard stop around 3-5 m/h. (it exactly feel like when brake pad ran out and braking metal to metal.) I spill coffee some times when it does happen. I called one of Nissan dealer and they knew about this issue and recommend me to stop by and re set the problem. I went to the other dealer instead one that close to my place. Explain what happen and told them what other dealer told me about re set program and this dealer I went had no clue!! Any way I left my car there for them to research on it.
Guy called me from service department and said it is completely normal and my car program version is up to date so system would not even attempt to update. And they test drove it and they never felt the same way I did. They think it is completely normal. I kept argue them that their answer is not acceptable. Since I felt and my wife felt the same way and when I try to stop I spill coffee because of hard stop. I mean it is that bad. I does not happen constantly all-time but it happen usually cold morning and night or random during the day. I figure it happen more often when it’s cold. Should I go other dealer to re check it?? What should I do??

This has been an ongoing problem with the Leaf since day one... Some seem to do it worse than others but sooner or later they will all do it to some extent. There is no known fix. For the early cars there was a software update that helped a little on some, but it did not really solve the problem... It is a little unusual for a 2015 to be doing it so early though. I'd keep nagging them about it and also get Nissan Corporate involved.

TomT said:
This has been an ongoing problem with the Leaf since day one... Some seem to do it worse than others but sooner or later they will all do it to some extent. There is no known fix. For the early cars there was a software update that helped a little on some, but it did not really solve the problem... It is a little unusual for a 2015 to be doing it so early though. I'd keep nagging them about it and also get Nissan Corporate involved.

thank you!! I would have been totally waste my time go back and forth...my next car won't be a leaf for sure...since, I have so many other issues besides of this braking issues and Nissan simply don't care.

we all hope EV keep improving, debugging and adding things that people think it is efficient for the car. that doesn't mean Nissan will come back and pull me out of drowning water... simply they do not care about us and we are just being guinea pig of first generation of EV test out.

thank you for your help!

I'm with you there gotd77. Brakes aren't the only problem Nissan has even though mine does it too (2012), but I've gotten used to it. My next EV won't be a Nissan either unless they triple the range and yes I said triple, not double. Give me a couple slices of pizza and I can go twice as far as this car can and I won't set you back $25,000 +. The range is an absolute joke. Also their absolute unwillingness to add a liquid heating/cooling to the battery isn't ok with me. I don't care what battery chemistry they come up with, it needs to be temperature controlled and I refuse to buy another EV that is "air cooled". That may work in the south, but sure in the heck doesn't do any good in the cold up here in the North.

gotd77 said:
...When I slow down to the stop sign or red light then my leaf will slow down and hard stop around 3-5 m/h. ... I spill coffee some times when it does happen.
Guy called me from service department and said it is completely normal and my car program version is up to date so system would not even attempt to update.
Long term problem that Nissan apparently does not know how to fix.
30 pages of details on it here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6086&hilit=+grabby#p138728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan service department calls it normal because that is how Nissan has designed it.
I consider it a defect.

Best way to minimize it is to fully get your foot off the brake every time you can.
For a single press of the brake pedal till you stop it brakes more smoothly.

But get on the brake and fail to get off of it completely in slow moving stop and go traffic and at some point the LEAF will brake way more abruptly than you planned or want or expect.

Note:
Drinking hot coffee while driving has significant well documented risks no matter what you are driving.
Just ask McDonalds ;)

TimLee said:
gotd77 said:
...When I slow down to the stop sign or red light then my leaf will slow down and hard stop around 3-5 m/h. ... I spill coffee some times when it does happen.
Guy called me from service department and said it is completely normal and my car program version is up to date so system would not even attempt to update.
Long term problem that Nissan apparently does not know how to fix.
30 pages of details on it here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6086&hilit=+grabby#p138728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nissan service department calls it normal because that is how Nissan has designed it.
I consider it a defect.

Best way to minimize it is to fully get your foot off the brake every time you can.
For a single press of the brake pedal till you stop it brakes more smoothly.

But get on the brake and fail to get off of it completely in slow moving stop and go traffic and at some point the LEAF will brake way more abruptly than you planned or want or expect.

Note:
Drinking hot coffee while driving has significant well documented risks no matter what you are driving.
Just ask McDonalds ;)

Thank you Tim! that really helps but it is kind of hard because of my driving habit of being in other cars...normally people drive and let the car coast before stop and while you let it coast, we put our foot on the brake to ready for stop you know...
anyway, I am stuck with it another 2 year and some extra months.. :(

thank you!

CRLeafSL said:
I'm with you there gotd77. Brakes aren't the only problem Nissan has even though mine does it too (2012), but I've gotten used to it. My next EV won't be a Nissan either unless they triple the range and yes I said triple, not double. Give me a couple slices of pizza and I can go twice as far as this car can and I won't set you back $25,000 +. The range is an absolute joke. Also their absolute unwillingness to add a liquid heating/cooling to the battery isn't ok with me. I don't care what battery chemistry they come up with, it needs to be temperature controlled and I refuse to buy another EV that is "air cooled". That may work in the south, but sure in the heck doesn't do any good in the cold up here in the North.

Yeah, I notice that when I charge 100% out side when it's cold, I only get 83miles and when it is hot day I get 98miles full charge. this is not acceptable also, how am I suppose to plan a trip if mileage is not constant like this? mine changes almost 15 to 18 miles different depends on the weather. Also, I drove only 3 miles distance and leaf lost almost 10 + miles with no a/c and no heat! that being said my leaf shows 80-90 mile range, how can I trust that mileage?? and I address this issue since day 10 when I notice this is not going to work for my commute to work. Nissan did not care what so ever!! my car only had 400 miles on it and it is brand know 2015. they do not want to do anything!!! I contact corp of Nissan too. they don't care all together. this is BS. I am sure you experience even worse up there...

gotd77 said:
CRLeafSL said:

Yeah, I notice that when I charge 100% out side when it's cold, I only get 83miles and when it is hot day I get 98miles full charge. this is not acceptable also, how am I suppose to plan a trip if mileage is not constant like this? mine changes almost 15 to 18 miles different depends on the weather. Also, I drove only 3 miles distance and leaf lost almost 10 + miles with no a/c and no heat! that being said my leaf shows 80-90 mile range, how can I trust that mileage?? and I address this issue since day 10 when I notice this is not going to work for my commute to work. Nissan did not care what so ever!! my car only had 400 miles on it and it is brand know 2015. they do not want to do anything!!! I contact corp of Nissan too. they don't care all together. this is BS. I am sure you experience even worse up there...

It sounds to me like you did not have a very good salesperson who knew the limits of the car to point them out to you before you buy it. The range estimate is just that, an estimate. Yes we can complain day and night that Nissan didn't make a better one (like the spark with a min/max and probable guess). You can get another one on your cell phone that works with Bluetooth that you program what your avg miles/kWh is and it will be very accurate but you have to be able to drive in a way that you hold that miles/kWh.

In almost all circumstances you should be able to get the millage that the meter says as long as you are willing to keep driving the way you had been. If you drive home the night before at 30mph it will give you a range based on 30mph. If you then get in first thing in the morning get on the highway and go 70mph the car couldn't have guessed that. If it's now below freezing and windy and the night before it was above freezing and still the car also couldn't have guessed that. The most simple rule, if you want to go further go slower. Keep it at roads under 50mph. It also doesn't know if you are driving up hill or down hill so if you have a 40 mile trip and it's mostly downhill on the way there you will not be able to take 40miles of range off use 50% then have enough to go home at that same speed. You have to learn how the car works, in 400 miles you probably haven't driven enough to learn enough but the key thing is you have to be willing to learn. This is what all leaf salespeople need to make sure the customer understands, they have to be willing to learn and if they aren't then they are limited to only using about 50-70% of the range, ie never going more than 20-30 miles from home without a plug in at the destination (40-60 with a few hours at a 240v plug).

There's probably nothing wrong with your car, it does indeed work like Nissan intended. The stopping issue is how the regen system was designed. They could have done things differently but it would probably have others complaining about it, or even you still complaining that it did something else you didn't like. They could have used no regen at all from the brakes but then I'd complain because that's not the most efficient way to do it and I'm perfectly content to live with the sudden jerk knowing that it's just a semi upmarket economy car and the first of it's type.

minispeed said:
gotd77 said:
CRLeafSL said:

It sounds to me like you did not have a very good salesperson who knew the limits of the car to point them out to you before you buy it. The range estimate is just that, an estimate. Yes we can complain day and night that Nissan didn't make a better one (like the spark with a min/max and probable guess). You can get another one on your cell phone that works with Bluetooth that you program what your avg miles/kWh is and it will be very accurate but you have to be able to drive in a way that you hold that miles/kWh.

In almost all circumstances you should be able to get the millage that the meter says as long as you are willing to keep driving the way you had been. If you drive home the night before at 30mph it will give you a range based on 30mph. If you then get in first thing in the morning get on the highway and go 70mph the car couldn't have guessed that. If it's now below freezing and windy and the night before it was above freezing and still the car also couldn't have guessed that. The most simple rule, if you want to go further go slower. Keep it at roads under 50mph. It also doesn't know if you are driving up hill or down hill so if you have a 40 mile trip and it's mostly downhill on the way there you will not be able to take 40miles of range off use 50% then have enough to go home at that same speed. You have to learn how the car works, in 400 miles you probably haven't driven enough to learn enough but the key thing is you have to be willing to learn. This is what all leaf salespeople need to make sure the customer understands, they have to be willing to learn and if they aren't then they are limited to only using about 50-70% of the range, ie never going more than 20-30 miles from home without a plug in at the destination (40-60 with a few hours at a 240v plug).

There's probably nothing wrong with your car, it does indeed work like Nissan intended. The stopping issue is how the regen system was designed. They could have done things differently but it would probably have others complaining about it, or even you still complaining that it did something else you didn't like. They could have used no regen at all from the brakes but then I'd complain because that's not the most efficient way to do it and I'm perfectly content to live with the sudden jerk knowing that it's just a semi upmarket economy car and the first of it's type.

Yes, I had bad sale rep. he sugar coated real good on the leaf. now he banded me and neglected me and now delegate all issues with my leaf to service department. I hate them all..by the way, I leased it because after I research little I know people have range issues but my work commute distance is only 50miles round trip. I thought leaf could handle that. don't you think EV can not handle 50 miles round trip with no a/c and no heat on is something wrong??? that was one if reason I fought for them for long time and my car is brand new like I mention earlier. Nissan keep saying that it is normal and they start blame on my driving style and weather issue. this is totally BS !! I drive back home with no heat on at night at freezing level. this is not fun at all!! I think Nissan should advertise this car as only use grocery shopping purpose in silver town where has 25m/h speed limit!!!!!!!
what really makes me mad is Nissan is helpless! once they sugar coated and sold or leased vehicle then they turn around and treat customer like "who are you? and why are you keep bother me??" this is all your fault that you came to us and sign the paper!!! that's how they do.

The "range" displayed on the dash is useless and you will be much better off if you never ever look at it again. It is not even a valid estimate of how much range is left. That's why it's called a "GOM" (guess-o-meter). Put a post-it note over it.

Get Leaf Spy and a OBDII dongle. It will tell you what your actual remaining range is. E.g., how many kWh of power are left, from which you can tell your real remaining range by multiplying by miles/kWh. If you are driving with no A/C and no heat, and are not driving aggressively, then you should be able to easily get 4mi/kWh, which makes the real range of the car about 84 miles.

The last few days here the weather has been 50°F and I've stopped using the heater. I've jumped from averaging 3.3mi/kWh back to 4mi/kWh.

jlv said:
The "range" displayed on the dash is useless and you will be much better off if you never ever look at it again. It is not even a valid estimate of how much range is left. That's why it's called a "GOM" (guess-o-meter). Put a post-it note over it.

Get Leaf Spy and a OBDII dongle. It will tell you what your actual remaining range is. E.g., how many kWh of power are left, from which you can tell your real remaining range by multiplying by miles/kWh. If you are driving with no A/C and no heat, and are not driving aggressively, then you should be able to easily get 4mi/kWh, which makes the real range of the car about 84 miles.

The last few days here the weather has been 50°F and I've stopped using the heater. I've jumped from averaging 3.3mi/kWh back to 4mi/kWh.

GOM! and put a post it note over it. That is so funny. now all I want is comfortably I can use my leaf to commute. use heat when it's cold. use AC when it's hot out side. and my commute distance is only 50 miles so do I really need to invest that leaf spy and OBDII ?? if my leaf can not do 50 miles round trip is that normal? Nissan said my car is normal. I d say it is not. I can barely can do 50 miles with full charge showing 89 miles so .... where this 39 miles disappear????? I got home last night with low battery signal on because I used heat one the way home just 10miles prior to get home. geez.... this is not a good car...or I should say Nissan is full of liar.

I've said it before and I'll be happy to say it again. If Nissan would get off their high horse and actually put an active TMS system on the battery (Liquid heating/cooling) then they wouldn't have this range loss. Now I know it takes power to heat/cool the battery, but trust me, it would be totally worth it. If you don't believe me, ask a Tesla owner how much actual range loss they experience. I know it's much less than us because their battery gets heated up. My lease is up in two months (thank god I'm counting the days down) to give this thing back. I have to give Nissan credit for "trying" to make an electric car, but I'm very disappointed. I was not mislead with my sales person. He told me my range in the cold would drop but I didn't think it would as much as it does. I do use the word "trying" very loosely because if this is the best they can do, Oh my god. Mines getting turned back in and I'm walking away from Nissan. Period. They would have to do so much better to get me back. Three times the range while cruising down the interstate with heat/ac blasting and a Liquid heated/cooled battery is an absolute must to get me back. Otherwise no way. Nice try Nissan, but you failed miserably.

CRLeafSL said:
I've said it before and I'll be happy to say it again. If Nissan would get off their high horse and actually put an active TMS system on the battery (Liquid heating/cooling) then they wouldn't have this range loss. Now I know it takes power to heat/cool the battery, but trust me, it would be totally worth it. If you don't believe me, ask a Tesla owner how much actual range loss they experience. I know it's much less than us because their battery gets heated up. My lease is up in two months (thank god I'm counting the days down) to give this thing back. I have to give Nissan credit for "trying" to make an electric car, but I'm very disappointed. I was not mislead with my sales person. He told me my range in the cold would drop but I didn't think it would as much as it does. I do use the word "trying" very loosely because if this is the best they can do, Oh my god. Mines getting turned back in and I'm walking away from Nissan. Period. They would have to do so much better to get me back. Three times the range while cruising down the interstate with heat/ac blasting and a Liquid heated/cooled battery is an absolute must to get me back. Otherwise no way. Nice try Nissan, but you failed miserably.

Are you going to though a party when you return this junk? lol yes, I can see they trying hard to reduce the manufacture cost. what reason they had to create S model (which I am driving) and remove Quick charge option? this short range go kart really needs 440v quick charge. I ended up spend lots of money to install dedicated 240V at home because this go kart barely can do 50miles round trip to work and as soon as I get home start charge it. it shows 18 hrs to charge. next morning I get out home with 80% charted. who can do 18hrs stay home and wait for this junk to be full charge?? if I had quick charge option then I could have stop some where and willing to spend 30 min charge will get me home and continue charge 110V. I told Nissan that quick charge should be a primary source for charge. NOT 110V can be a primary charge...never never!!! may be it works in silver town...go out grocery once a week...driving car. Nissan never agree. they think my car is normal and they believe my car can go at least 80 miles so my 50mile commute should never be an issue. problem is I have an issue doing 50miles round trip. so I told them that swap my car one to one with quick charge...I don't care what year model it is...just give me one with quick charge so if I ran out of battery one the way home from work I can charge some and continue back home...and I told them I will just shut up and drive if you swap it for me/take this brand new back and give me used one that's fine i said. I set at public charge station with 240V one day at night!! it was cold..no food no fun. for two F hours for gain only 10 some miles....it is useless!! Nissan told me swap is an able and simply you will be responsible for this car for end of lease!! they are devil!!!!!!!!!

gotd77 said:
Are you going to though a party when you return this junk? lol yes, I can see they trying hard to reduce the manufacture cost. what reason they had to create S model (which I am driving) and remove Quick charge option? this short range go kart really needs 440v quick charge. I ended up spend lots of money to install dedicated 240V at home because this go kart barely can do 50miles round trip to work and as soon as I get home start charge it. it shows 18 hrs to charge. next morning I get out home with 80% charted. who can do 18hrs stay home and wait for this junk to be full charge?? if I had quick charge option then I could have stop some where and willing to spend 30 min charge will get me home and continue charge 110V. I told Nissan that quick charge should be a primary source for charge. NOT 110V can be a primary charge...never never!!!
Nissan did NOT "remove Quick charge option". It was NEVER standard on US models. On the '11, you had to go to the SL trim to pay ($700, IIRC) more to get the optional CHAdeMO inlet (there were only SV and SL trims pre-'13). Heck, for the early adopters who got early '11s (shipments began in Dec 2010), there was 0 or virtually 0 CHAdeMO infrastructure in the US and there were threads like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

They made the CHAdeMO inlet standard on the '12 SL (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/19/2012-nissan-leaf-higher-price-tag-standard-equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It was unavailable on the '12 SV (you can confirm this via the Specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Starting with '13, they made it available as part of a package on the new lower cost S trim, and the SV. It's standard on the '13+ SL, like it was standard on the '12 SL. They made it available on ALL 3 trims instead of forcing you to get the highest and THEN pay more for the port.

The S was a lower cost trim level w/the nav system and better stereo removed and w/a slightly cheaper interior. Also, they also left out some stuff that they included standard on '13+ SV+ trims such as the hybrid heater w/heat pump, 6 kW on-board charger, etc. It enabled them to have an even lower sticker and lease price and it's a form of market segmentation, as well as enabling upselling.

As for "quick charge" being "be a primary source for charge", well, some places have no CHAdeMO DC FCs. How could that be a primary? In the SF Bay Area, the DC FC infrastructure is not great. Lots are broken, few are free and none are reasonably priced. $0.59/kWh on crappy and/or poorly maintained (often broken) Blink DC FCs or the other main provider is pricey http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No thanks. I last used my DC FC port in May 2014 (I got my car end of July 2013). I've so far paid $0 for any public charging. 2 DC FCs I used before are now no longer free and on the Blink network. The last one might've changed from free on Chargepoint to being on expensive NRG eVgo. It was also broken numerous times for weeks anyway.

It's certainly not MY primary source.

Sounds like you didn't do your homework. Nissan has tried to discourage people from using 120 volts only as their primary means of charging via lots of verbiage in the manual and elsewhere. FWIW, I have no level 2 EVSE at home. My charging is mainly via free L1 and L2 charging @ work, sometimes free public L2 charging and sometimes L1 (120 volt) charging at home, on weekends and when I'm off.

As for your "50 miles claim" please answer these questions: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=275421#p275421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in this thread. I suspect you are actually leaving lots of range on the table, besides possibly driving too fast and/or not properly conserving charge. Forget the crappy GOM.
gotd77 said:
...I set at public charge station with 240V one day at night!! it was cold..no food no fun. for two F hours for gain only 10 some miles....it is useless!!
That's what you get for not getting the 6 kW on-board charger. If you had done that (via either the S w/the "charge package") or gotten an '13+ SV or SL, you'd have it and on most public L2 EVSEs, would've picked up charge at almost 2x the rate.

gotd77: Instead of relying on your GOM (estimated available mileage), look more at the battery capacity in percent. If your starting your commute at 100%, what is your percentage available when you arrive at your destination?

As a reference, I live on the FL Space Coast and just leased a 2015 'S' with QC package on Nov 6th. My commute (one way) is 44 miles, 85% of which is highway at 65 mph on I-95. I average 50% battery capacity left at the end of my morning commute. IF I take US1, which has lights (and is only 1 mile more in distance) at an average speed 50 mph, I can make the round trip without charging at work - that's 88 miles. I've got 3650 miles so far, and have yet to use the 440 volt Quick Charge option - but I know I will need it in the future as the battery degrades. On the SpaceCoast, we have exactly ONE DCFC, and certainly hope more will be in place when the time comes that I need them. I have only hit Low Battery Warning one time, still showing 10 miles as I pulled in the driveway. I've also driven home once pushing 76 mph (from 100%) still showing 20% available (27 miles on the GOM) when I got home.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you did research before leasing the vehicle. I'm not trying to be antagonistic when I ask this: How much research did you do? Did the dealer offer you a 24 hr extended test drive? For anyone else considering a LEAF, I'd highly suggest an extended test drive to see if it meets your needs first. I worked with 3 dealers, of which 2 offered the extended test drive without me even asking.

With regards to the heater, are you using the cabin heater, instead of the heated seats / steering wheel heat? Just turning on the cabin heater will knock 10 miles off of the GOM reading. Try it without even moving, turn it on and off and see the difference in the readout. AC use, haven't noticed one bit a reduction in range.

When I sat down to sign the paperwork, I was given a large packet to read (4 pages, and had to initial in multiple places) before going to the finance office. There were multiple references to the vehicle not having a gas backup, cold temperatures, battery degradation, etc. I was familiar with them, only because of this fantastic forum and the answers to my newbie questions.

Up until about 3 months ago, I had never even heard of the LEAF. Sure there are things I'd love to see Nissan change. Range would be wonderful. But I also look back and realize that just a (short) few years ago, NONE of this would have been possible without the advances in battery technology. My wife complains about my 'research', she calls it 'procrastination'...

cwerdna said:
gotd77 said:
Are you going to though a party when you return this junk? lol yes, I can see they trying hard to reduce the manufacture cost. what reason they had to create S model (which I am driving) and remove Quick charge option? this short range go kart really needs 440v quick charge. I ended up spend lots of money to install dedicated 240V at home because this go kart barely can do 50miles round trip to work and as soon as I get home start charge it. it shows 18 hrs to charge. next morning I get out home with 80% charted. who can do 18hrs stay home and wait for this junk to be full charge?? if I had quick charge option then I could have stop some where and willing to spend 30 min charge will get me home and continue charge 110V. I told Nissan that quick charge should be a primary source for charge. NOT 110V can be a primary charge...never never!!!
Nissan did NOT "remove Quick charge option". It was NEVER standard on US models. On the '11, you had to go to the SL trim to pay ($700, IIRC) more to get the optional CHAdeMO inlet (there were only SV and SL trims pre-'13). Heck, for the early adopters who got early '11s (shipments began in Dec 2010), there was 0 or virtually 0 CHAdeMO infrastructure in the US and there were threads like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

They made the CHAdeMO inlet standard on the '12 SL (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/19/2012-nissan-leaf-higher-price-tag-standard-equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It was unavailable on the '12 SV (you can confirm this via the Specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Starting with '13, they made it available as part of a package on the new lower cost S trim, and the SV. It's standard on the '13+ SL, like it was standard on the '12 SL. They made it available on ALL 3 trims instead of forcing you to get the highest and THEN pay more for the port.

The S was a lower cost trim level w/the nav system and better stereo removed and w/a slightly cheaper interior. Also, they also left out some stuff that they included standard on '13+ SV+ trims such as the hybrid heater w/heat pump, 6 kW on-board charger, etc. It enabled them to have an even lower sticker and lease price and it's a form of market segmentation, as well as enabling upselling.

As for "quick charge" being "be a primary source for charge", well, some places have no CHAdeMO DC FCs. How could that be a primary? In the SF Bay Area, the DC FC infrastructure is not great. Lots are broken, few are free and none are reasonably priced. $0.59/kWh on crappy and/or poorly maintained (often broken) Blink DC FCs or the other main provider is pricey http://www.nrgevgo.com/san-francisco-bay-area/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No thanks. I last used my DC FC port in May 2014 (I got my car end of July 2013). I've so far paid $0 for any public charging. 2 DC FCs I used before are now no longer free and on the Blink network. The last one might've changed from free on Chargepoint to being on expensive NRG eVgo. It was also broken numerous times for weeks anyway.

It's certainly not MY primary source.

Sounds like you didn't do your homework. Nissan has tried to discourage people from using 120 volts only as their primary means of charging via lots of verbiage in the manual and elsewhere. FWIW, I have no level 2 EVSE at home. My charging is mainly via free L1 and L2 charging @ work, sometimes free public L2 charging and sometimes L1 (120 volt) charging at home, on weekends and when I'm off.

As for your "50 miles claim" please answer these questions: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=275421#p275421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in this thread. I suspect you are actually leaving lots of range on the table, besides possibly driving too fast and/or not properly conserving charge. Forget the crappy GOM.
gotd77 said:
...I set at public charge station with 240V one day at night!! it was cold..no food no fun. for two F hours for gain only 10 some miles....it is useless!!
That's what you get for not getting the 6 kW on-board charger. If you had done that (via either the S w/the "charge package") or gotten an '13+ SV or SL, you'd have it and on most public L2 EVSEs, would've picked up charge at almost 2x the rate.

you are right I should have leased SV or SL then it might be a better situation. well I earlier post i use term remove QC means you are correct they only had SL and SV model with QC on it. then i met one dude at charging station and his leaf was 2014 model and it is S model. he told me QC just came with it so i though Nissan removed it in 2015. actually this dude new about it and leased 2014 model in 2015. he had to look for used vehicle. i think that was smart and he pays 30 dollar cheater than my lease and he gets QC. after we chat at the station he was already 80% charged and heading home. mine was still down to 20%. that's what I meant by primary sources of charging EV...in other way to say is every EV should be able to or should capable to do 440V charge. if public place is unable to accommodate you do use or ask you to pay for use is our option to choose. may be you have to pay for the service because you choose to drive EV. may be one day every where will charge you for every thing. that is your choice too!. now i do not even have a choice and this Fkn sale dude never even explains any of these things and he kept told me his wife drives it and it is greater than any other car!! he even told me his wife's car is 3.3kw charge. i don't know how many people can do 15 -18hr charge every day?? then Nissan told me pay my self to get 240v charging station at home spending almost 1500 dollar. are you crazy?? this guy in Bay area call EVSE upgrade save my life. still end up spend some money and modify my house circuit breaker too. so after all that BS why should i do home work on this BS and why should i investing more money and time on this Junk? I even told Nissan when my leaf was 158miles on brand new car. "hey Nissan, because of this stupid sale man miss informed us and sell wrong advertise to us. sounded like i can commute to work and he knows the area and he knows my home and work area and he told me he can guarantee that leaf can do the job! and actually it is not doing what he describe it. Nissan told me fck off! and drive it to grocery!. I hate them and this is BS. I wouldn't be this mad if Sales man did not lie!/////second, if Nissan's employee wrong advertise leaf and sold the car, then customer not happy about the issue then they should compensate that or at least show some effort for customer satisfaction matter. But they didn't. ///// Third, I leased this EV because of wanted to save money and I am spending more than my budget now than if i had small car like Honda civic. :oops:

Hey gotd77: I'm sorry that you are so angry/disappointed in your Leaf. I purchased my 2011 on June 16, 2011, and have driven it almost every day for 3 1/2 years. It's the best "local commuter"automobile I have ever had; and I have owned/driven about 30 different cars since I got my drivers license in 1951. But, I did my homework before I bought the Leaf. I knew what to expect. It serves my needs peerfectly.
You've posted some pitifully negative messages here. I Do hope you occasionally have something good to say about something?? :roll:

gotd77 said:
in other way to say is every EV should be able to or should capable to do 440V charge. if public place is unable to accommodate you do use or ask you to pay for use is our option to choose
Sure... but go to http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, More Options, uncheck every outlet type except CHAdeMO DCFC and see how many huge holes there are.

gotd77 said:
Fkn sale dude never even explains any of these things and he kept told me his wife drives it and it is greater than any other car!! he even told me his wife's car is 3.3kw charge. i don't know how many people can do 15 -18hr charge every day?? then Nissan told me pay my self to get 240v charging station at home spending almost 1500 dollar. are you crazy?? this guy in Bay area call EVSE upgrade save my life. still end up spend some money and modify my house circuit breaker too.
That's the problem. There are some poorly informed salespeople and others who will lie or say anything to make a sale. :( Again, you said "his wife's car". Sounds like HE doesn't drive it.

A 15 to 18 hour charge at night isn't at 120 volts isn't required if one's commute is short enough or there's charging at work/destinations. I certainly NEVER do that when commuting since I get free L1 and L2 charging @ work. On L2, it's 5 hours charging tops for me to get to 100% w/a nearly dead Leaf. 1 hour at L2 is more than enough to get me home. Re: "i don't know how many people can do 15 -18hr charge every day" Not many people do that.

Even if I had no charging ability at work, my commute's only ~12 miles each way. I would have no issue w/the commute in terms of range and replenishing charge quickly enough even if I charged only at 120 volts at home.

Re: your range anxiety issues, if you want real solutions, you need to answer the questions I pointed. I highly suspect you're leaving a fair amount of range on the table and not properly conserving energy, as I and recmob have pointed out. Without answers, we can only guess, which isn't productive.

recmob said:
gotd77: Instead of relying on your GOM (estimated available mileage), look more at the battery capacity in percent. If your starting your commute at 100%, what is your percentage available when you arrive at your destination?

As a reference, I live on the FL Space Coast and just leased a 2015 'S' with QC package on Nov 6th. My commute (one way) is 44 miles, 85% of which is highway at 65 mph on I-95. I average 50% battery capacity left at the end of my morning commute. IF I take US1, which has lights (and is only 1 mile more in distance) at an average speed 50 mph, I can make the round trip without charging at work - that's 88 miles. I've got 3650 miles so far, and have yet to use the 440 volt Quick Charge option - but I know I will need it in the future as the battery degrades. On the SpaceCoast, we have exactly ONE DCFC, and certainly hope more will be in place when the time comes that I need them. I have only hit Low Battery Warning one time, still showing 10 miles as I pulled in the driveway. I've also driven home once pushing 76 mph (from 100%) still showing 20% available (27 miles on the GOM) when I got home.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you did research before leasing the vehicle. I'm not trying to be antagonistic when I ask this: How much research did you do? Did the dealer offer you a 24 hr extended test drive? For anyone else considering a LEAF, I'd highly suggest an extended test drive to see if it meets your needs first. I worked with 3 dealers, of which 2 offered the extended test drive without me even asking.

With regards to the heater, are you using the cabin heater, instead of the heated seats / steering wheel heat? Just turning on the cabin heater will knock 10 miles off of the GOM reading. Try it without even moving, turn it on and off and see the difference in the readout. AC use, haven't noticed one bit a reduction in range.

When I sat down to sign the paperwork, I was given a large packet to read (4 pages, and had to initial in multiple places) before going to the finance office. There were multiple references to the vehicle not having a gas backup, cold temperatures, battery degradation, etc. I was familiar with them, only because of this fantastic forum and the answers to my newbie questions.

Up until about 3 months ago, I had never even heard of the LEAF. Sure there are things I'd love to see Nissan change. Range would be wonderful. But I also look back and realize that just a (short) few years ago, NONE of this would have been possible without the advances in battery technology. My wife complains about my 'research', she calls it 'procrastination'...

First of all, I want to blame Nissan and sales man who sell me faulty mis-advertise plus lie to me. my commute is only 25mile one way. it makes 50 - 51 miles round trip! I go 50% high way and the other 50% local. now i don't use A/C nor Heater even weather is threatening me. and all window rolled up for reduce drag. that's crazy on 90 degree hot weather day... can you imagine? roll up all window and no a/c and stock on the traffic???? and i only go 55-60 max m/h on the high way. so Nissan balm on my driving habit is bad. that's why with 100% full charge, i can only go 50 or 60 miles Nissan said. hello!! my car is 2015 brand new only had 150 miles on it!!!! what the heck?? so what research do i need to do?? how to bring portable A/C or Fan in the car when 90degree day stock in the traffic?? that sort of research are you talking about??? i don't get it. I don't know how people manage their leaf to commute to work. what they leave a block away from work?? any way, after i explain all these situation to Nissan, they blame on my driving habit and they don't want to listen how i got to the table and how i end up sign the paper....they do not want to hear any of these...so what about this liar sale man??? i did this complains since 5 days after drove out of dealer ship. i told them just take it back. ho ho ...and they won't let me take a spin for that long time...of course i did some short quick drove around but you never know until actually you do real trip. anyway i am stuck. sucks to be me!!! damn :oops:

derkraut said:
Hey gotd77: I'm sorry that you are so angry/disappointed in your Leaf. I purchased my 2011 on June 16, 2011, and have driven it almost every day for 3 1/2 years. It's the best "local commuter"automobile I have ever had; and I have owned/driven about 30 different cars since I got my drivers license in 1951. But, I did my homework before I bought the Leaf. I knew what to expect. It serves my needs peerfectly.
You've posted some pitifully negative messages here. I Do hope you occasionally have something good to say about something?? :roll:

I understand what you are saying. I am not saying this car is that bad. the way they sales is wrong. also I did some little research before i walk into the dealer ship. cut to the chase I was only expect to commute to work. 25miles one way on 50% highway / 50% local. now national ad shows leaf can do far more than 50miles right? so I walk into dealer ship to find out more about this leaf. problem start is there. this dealer sugar coated real good. he never explain bad situation I may facing into or things that I need to aware of it. also I realized that my leaf was his last car to sell on that month. so he sugar coat and lie and all kinds of stuff that need to sell the car to me.
what i am angry is all about their lie and Nissan's not responsibility. I drive 50-60 on the hyw with all windows rolled up and no a/c on 90 degree hot day. i try to let it coast as much as possible and what else I do?? so "i told Nissan you guys were lie to me on sales and my can only can do 50-60mile some plus per day with no ac on hot day with windows rolled up so don't you think this car is something wrong?" they told me it is your fault. car is perfectly fine. how is this car is perfectly fine?? or my driving habit is bad? that i don't understand either. so i took it back to the dealer ship on day 5 after i drove this thing home. it was brand new and had only 150 some miles on it. i already notice that early my commute isn't working with this car and this sale man lie to me or this car is broken. so this is my end of story and i am stuck with it.

Back