SD UNLOCK NG on navigation screen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybermotor

I have a 2011 Leaf and the screen on the Navigation says SD UNLOCK NG. Can anyone tell me what to do. My SD card was stolen and I replaced it with one off of ebay but when I put it in the screen says SD UNLOCK NG.

As I answered your question over under the newbie section, there is nothing you can do... If separated the sd card cannot simply be replaced as it is set up with the head unit....sorry to say but your only option is to shell out the $2200.00 for a new nav unit. I am surprised your dealer even bothered with a part number, because on every parts diagram I have seen the nav and sd card are the same part number. I have also been in the same boat, numerous calls to the dealer, nav tec the manufacturer, and nissan tech center. No way around it you will have to replace the head unit.

How does that get stolen?? Need to file a claim on your auto policy and file a police report. That will bring cost down to just your comprehensive deductible.

Ian B

No, you can simply buy a new SD card from Navteq for about $150, the same as if you were updating the card with a newer map version. You may need to find the correct person to handle this for you at Navtec but at least one other person has had to replace a card because it was defective and they simply got a new card.

Crawlspace said:
As I answered your question over under the newbie section, there is nothing you can do... If separated the sd card cannot simply be replaced as it is set up with the head unit....sorry to say but your only option is to shell out the $2200.00 for a new nav unit. I am surprised your dealer even bothered with a part number, because on every parts diagram I have seen the nav and sd card are the same part number. I have also been in the same boat, numerous calls to the dealer, nav tec the manufacturer, and nissan tech center. No way around it you will have to replace the head unit.

So, maybe making a backup of the SD card and keeping it at home, would be a good idea? (I mean, once you have a new SD card that works.)

I'm thinking I will backup my card...

The cards are encrypted with a registration id serial number and that will not work.

Randy3 said:
So, maybe making a backup of the SD card and keeping it at home, would be a good idea? (I mean, once you have a new SD card that works.)
I'm thinking I will backup my card...

cybermotor said:
I have a 2011 Leaf and the screen on the Navigation says SD UNLOCK NG. Can anyone tell me what to do. My SD card was stolen and I replaced it with one off of ebay but when I put it in the screen says SD UNLOCK NG.
Better return it to the ebay seller ;)

It means that the unlocking of the Nav's SD card failed (was No Good).

Usually, each blank SD card has a "serial number" that can be read, but not written.

Then, at least one required file is modified for the SD card's serial number.
Thus, the software will only work with that particular SD card installed.

Making a copy of the files onto another SD card will not work because
the required "key" file will not match the new SD card's serial number.

Comparing the files on one legal SD card with another might help
identify the file(s) used as "key" files.

NO, you do NOT need to replace the Nav head unit, just
purchase a legal SD Nav card for the car year and model
and head unit and type, if there were options.

TomT said:
No, you can simply buy a new SD card from Navtec, the same as if you were updating the card with a newer map version. Give them your car info and it will come married to your unit. You may need to find the correct person to handle this for you at Navtec but at least one other person has had to replace a card because it was defective and they simply got a new married card.

Crawlspace said:

How do you get in touch with Navtec or do you go to the nissan dealership?

I love forums and the Internet in general ask 5 people get 5 different answers....if you ask a dealer they will tell you it cannot be purchased separately it is part of the entire navigation unit, and you will have to replace the entire unit, hence my response above. Call nav tech and they will tell you to contact the dealer they do not sell the cards. The correct answer, you need to contact the manufacturer which is Clarion not nav tec, nav tec only deals with the map upgrades. You will need to pull the head unit and get the info from the back of the unit, then contact clarion, they will provide you with a new card that is married to the unit. Then the fun part begins, you will have to go to the dealer and have then program the nav unit. If any one can prove me wrong I offer $100.00 for accurate information

How do I know, I am in this process right now as I bought a used leaf without a sd card.

All SD cards incorporate a digital rights management (DRM) scheme. About 10% of the storage capacity of every SD card is set aside by the on-card processor and used to conditionally authorize the reading of any content that has been protected. The card will then prohibit any unauthorized accesses, such as trying to copy the protected content.

The DRM scheme embedded in SD cards is the Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM). The details of the specification is kept secret and is accessible only via special license. The scheme has not been publicly broken/hacked as yet.

The Nav Data SD cards in the Leaf (Clarion) use the this feature to ensure only the Head unit can access the map data.

-Phil

I keep seeing different spellings here in this thread (e.g. "nav tech" and Navtec). Are you guys talking about the map data provider Navteq (http://www.navteq.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), a company now wholly owned by Nokia? They and Tele Atlas (now owned by TomTom) are the two major map data providers for portable navigation devices (PNDs) and nav systems.

Crawlspace said:
I love forums and the Internet in general ask 5 people get 5 different answers....if you ask a dealer they will tell you it cannot be purchased separately it is part of the entire navigation unit, and you will have to replace the entire unit, hence my response above. Call nav tech and they will tell you to contact the dealer they do not sell the cards. The correct answer, you need to contact the manufacturer which is Clarion not nav tec, nav tec only deals with the map upgrades. You will need to pull the head unit and get the info from the back of the unit, then contact clarion, they will provide you with a new card that is married to the unit. Then the fun part begins, you will have to go to the dealer and have then program the nav unit. If any one can prove me wrong I offer $100.00 for accurate information

How do I know, I am in this process right now as I bought a used leaf without a sd card.
I helped a local company get a replacement SD card after theirs was stolen at a car show. They contacted Wilsonville Nissan here in Oregon and the replacement cost was just over $300. The dealer had to special order the card with the vehicles VIN already configured onto the card.

I helped a local company get a replacement SD card after theirs was stolen at a car show. They contacted Wilsonville Nissan here in Oregon and the replacement cost was just over $300. The dealer had to special order the card with the vehicles VIN already configured onto the card.

So prove me wrong and make a $100.00 bucks. I have called three dealers in my area, the VIN has nothing to do with the sd card initial replacement. The sd card has to be married to the headunit from Clarion with the serial # etc. Maybe then when I have to have the head unit programed they do something with the VIN.

If you are willing to call your dealer and find out what they did that would be awesome.

A way to confirm the card is locked by something unique to the head unit is to swap 2 cards and see what happens. I'll try it next chance I get.

Pricing cards at $300 is just begging for someone to hack them. That's ridiculous!

-Phil

The http://www.nissanusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site has a new owners registration and login.
Yes, our older owner login no longer works, and one must register again.

The section that addresses Nav updates lists the 2011 and 2012 LEAF,
but says that the 2011 already has the latest available update.
It says that the updates, CD or HDD, are $149 plus tax and shipping.

I will try another 2011 SD card in my 2011 LEAF as soon as possible.
If that works, we will know that the SD card is not tied to the car,
the VIN, or the particular Nav head unit.

Then, I will try to use the SD card from a 2012 LEAF, when I find one
from a friendly owner.

garygid said:
The http://www.nissanusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site has a new owners registration and login.
Yes, our older owner login no longer works, and one must register again.

The section that addresses Nav updates lists the 2011 and 2012 LEAF,
but says that the 2011 already has the latest available update.
It says that the updates, CD or HDD, are $149 plus tax and shipping.

I will try another 2011 SD card in my 2011 LEAF as soon as possible.
If that works, we will know that the SD card is not tied to the car,
the VIN, or the particular Nav head unit.

Then, I will try to use the SD card from a 2012 LEAF, when I find one
from a friendly owner.
I am not seeing what you describe. My login at http://nissanusa.com/owners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is still the same as it always has been, and I haven't had to re-register. (I just tried it now)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I am not seeing what you describe. My login at http://nissanusa.com/owners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is still the same as it always has been, and I haven't had to re-register. (I just tried it now)

-Phil
I ran into this a couple of days ago. If you go to http://nissanusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then click on "owners"->"My Nissan Owner's Portal" you get the new login (http://owners.nissanusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The new one has access to service records, but not the LEAF remote control stuff. You can still log in the old way. My guess is that they're keeping the old one available for us LEAF folks so that we can still get to CarWings, but if you don't know the direct link, you're pretty screwed.

Edit: You CAN get there from the new login page, see next post.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a link to the LEAF portal at the login page, so you don't need to remember the URL.

"Attention Nissan LEAF™ Owners - We've created an exclusive online portal to maximize your ownership experience"

Back