Goodbar
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017

Re: Clunk / bang when reversing in AM (gen 1)

philso wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:10 pm Hey Goodbar

Thanks for posting this thread with so much useful information.

Am I correct in thinking you swapped out only the strut mounts and bearings and kept the original strut, springs etc? Do you think swapping the whole strut assembly for one from KYB with springs, mounts, bearing etc. would give a similar improvement? I am getting a moan/squeak when I go over speedbumps amking me think the damper/strut is also going bad. This is in addition to "ringing" clunks that resonate through the body when I turn the steering wheel quickly and at other times. My 2011 Leaf has around 75,000 miles on it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 7&pt=15174
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 7&pt=15174
Ultimately I only replaced the strut mounts (KYB; because I had them) and added the spacers. I was tempted to buy the complete KYB strut assembly (from Rock Auto) because they are easy to install. With your year and miles that seems like a better call. Just be aware that the KYB strut bearing appears to be inferior to OEM, which itself is barely adequate. So, there's a some chance of a repeat if the spring end wasn't finished well. As for the other noises, I'm guessing there could be multiple culprits, such as the sway bar, strut, etc. Good luck with your repair.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A
philso
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2021
Leaf Number: 003895

Thanks, goodbar and nlspace for your replies. It seems that my choices are:
1) Swap out the whole strut assembly with the KYB assemblies for about $265 + shipping & taxes from Rock Auto and take my chances with the mounts going bad again. If the KYB strut mounts go bad, I would have to disassemble the strut assemblies with a spring compressor and try replacing them with OEM ones for another $240, roughly doubling my total expenditures.
2) Swap out the struts with KYB's from Rock Auto (about $110 total) and OEM strut mounts and bearings from Courtesy Parts (about $240 total) for a total of over $350 + shipping & taxes and re-use the original springs and spring seats. Each strut mount costs almost as much as the pair of KYB struts! This would require messing with the strut assemblies to disassemble and reassemble them using a spring compressor. Last time I did this on my Xterra, I could not find a spring compressor tool at Harbor Freight or at the auto parts stores that would actually fit between the coils :-(

I think I will take some measurements and go visit Harbor Freight to see if their spring compressors are likely to work on the Leaf springs.
philso

I measured the gap between the spring coils and found that the "hooks" on the spring compressors available for purchase and to borrow from my local auto parts store will fit between the coils.

Other than making noise, is this issue a safety concern?

If it is not a safety issue, I may consider a third option
3) Ignore the noise and do nothing about it. I plan on selling my Leaf when I retire in 5 to 7 years so it would be 16 to 18 years old. At that point, I would not be expecting to get much for it anyway. I also have lots of other projects to take care of relating to my other car, my house etc. that I can be spending my time and money on.
Goodbar
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2017

philso wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:10 am I measured the gap between the spring coils and found that the "hooks" on the spring compressors available for purchase and to borrow from my local auto parts store will fit between the coils.

Other than making noise, is this issue a safety concern?

If it is not a safety issue, I may consider a third option
3) Ignore the noise and do nothing about it. I plan on selling my Leaf when I retire in 5 to 7 years so it would be 16 to 18 years old. At that point, I would not be expecting to get much for it anyway. I also have lots of other projects to take care of relating to my other car, my house etc. that I can be spending my time and money on.
I don't think it's a safety issue as long as it's not interfering with steering the car. You might enjoy and get some value out of the ride quality improvement by replacing the strut assemblies if you're going to keep it for several more years.

I've borrowed spring compressors from AutoZone (or similar) in years past, but decided to buy one this time around. Partly due to laziness and partly so I can monitor the condition of the hardware and wear parts.
2017 Leaf SV OpenEVSE 40A
philso

Thanks for your feedback. I may still do the fix when I have some of the other projects taken care of. Initially, I had replaced the lower control arms and found the rubber bushings in them cracked. The other suspension and steering joints looked good and tight at that time.
nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

You might quiet the squeaks and clunks by packing grease up in the "bearing" and on the ends of the spring and on anything else with relative motion.
philso

nlspace wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:13 pm You might quiet the squeaks and clunks by packing grease up in the "bearing" and on the ends of the spring and on anything else with relative motion.
I had thought about doing this. It seems that it would be most of the work of actually replacing the strut and or the strut mounts and bearings without spending the money on the parts. If I were to do that much work, it seems that it would be worth it to spend some money on parts and have a higher chance of success.
philso

Goodbar wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:25 am... You might enjoy and get some value out of the ride quality improvement by replacing the strut assemblies if you're going to keep it for several more years...
I have been thinking about it some more since the clunking triggers my OCD side ;-)

If I buy the whole strut assembly, say from Rock Auto and I find that they look like the photos in your post you made earlier in this thread (8th post on page 4), I could return them and "take another roll of the dice" to see if I can get ones that don't do that.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”