B2772 009 PTC Heater issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitrals

I have a 16 Nissan Leaf SV. I randomly get the B2772 009 HVAC PTC Heater Voltage HAC-75 code on Leaf spy. When that happens the heat consumption goes down to 1 KW. Then the code is not present it goes up to 3KW to 4KW depending on how cold it is outside. When the code is present at that time increasing the heat only increases fan speed. The issue is the code is very intermittent. It comes and goes. Is there anything I can do besides pony up the money and replace the PTC heater?>

Something worth considering, in case you need to replace the PTC as that's an expensive repair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqqgfjfIgLk

You might also want to check the HV connection under the car, where the PTC plugs into the pack. Obviously, you need to use the HV disconnect and also wear protective gloves etc. This video shows the location of that connection and also details the replacement process if you decide to go that route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19YogcC2H8

Thank you Alozzy. The plot thickens. When the temperature outside is over 40 the code is randomly on and that's when there is no heat. In the past few days it's been under 40 and there is no code and the car heats up nicely. Do we have some kind of a temperature sensor besides the one that is on the dash?

I thought the post-2012 Leaf's had a heat pump (at least the SV/SL trim did), but did have some resistance heating below a certain temp? If true, could that mean the heat pump is the problem (moderate temps) but not the PTC?
Of course, this is all wrong if there is no resistance heating at all (my early Leaf only has a resistance heater).

Stanton said:
I thought the post-2012 Leaf's had a heat pump (at least the SV/SL trim did), but did have some resistance heating below a certain temp? If true, could that mean the heat pump is the problem (moderate temps) but not the PTC?
Of course, this is all wrong if there is no resistance heating at all (my early Leaf only has a resistance heater).

You are correct.

Is the car under warranty still? If so, have the dealer check it out. It doesn't sound like a blown PTC from what you have described.

mitrals said:
I have a 16 Nissan Leaf SV. I randomly get the B2772 009 HVAC PTC Heater Voltage HAC-75 code on Leaf spy. When that happens the heat consumption goes down to 1 KW. Then the code is not present it goes up to 3KW to 4KW depending on how cold it is outside. When the code is present at that time increasing the heat only increases fan speed. The issue is the code is very intermittent. It comes and goes. Is there anything I can do besides pony up the money and replace the PTC heater?>

An easy way to check given the other posts here that the heat pump might be good or the PTC is good, open the hood and listen for the sound of the heat pump when you switch it on. If you hear the it running when you switch on the heat, at least you can confirm it is running regardless of how efficient it is currently for this troubleshooting. Start the air flow on high and after a minute, switch it to lowest flow air and listen if you hear the heat pump start to "slow down" until it stops (because the reduced air flow means it can keep up until it reaches the maximum pressure). The most power I've seen a heat pump able to use in cold weather is 1.5 kW, the other 4.5 kW is made up from the PTC heater. That would explain why the power consumption is low, heat pump only, PTC not working or when the PTC is working, then the heat pump + PTC uses a lot more power to make the air hot quicker.

If the PTC is bad, then unless warranty is going to fix it, you will have to foot the bill or deal with the reduced heating capacity since the heat pump will be doing all the work, plus it will shut off if the outside air is cold enough (32F and under) and you'll have no heat then. :(

The HVAC controller determines when to use heat pump and/or PTC resistance heater based upon outside temperature, inside temperature, and desired temperature setting. If desired temperature is much higher than present interior temperature, then it will run the PTC heater even in moderate ambient temperatures. If desired temperature is just slightly above the present interior temperature, then it will run the compressor. Intermittent errors may be due to controller or sensor issues if compressor runs and PTC functions (when temperature is cold enough).

Thank you all. I have had no heat for the past 2 days (power consumption is around 1KW) and raising the temps to 90 only increases the fan speed and no extra power consumption. I am going to take the car to the dealer to have it looked at tomorrow. For those that remember my battery saga, I am taking it to a different leaf certified dealer even though they are further out.

Dealer is replacing the PTC heater. The car was at the dealership for 4 days before the PTC heater stopped working. Cost 1950 but atleast there will be heat!

Ouch! For that kind of money I would have either found a PTC on eBay and installed it myself, or I would have installed a 12V heater as in the YouTube video I posted earlier. At least you were able to find a Nissan dealership that fixed it properly.

I do not have the time or skills to do it myself. I had a few options. 1. The dealer I had taken the car to wanted 1098 for the part and 1250 labor. I showed him other dealers had it online for 580 so I was able to have him knock the price off the part to 640. I could have bought it from the dealer that was an hour away each way for 580 or just pay 640. I called a couple mechanics and they said they will charge 800 to 900 in labor. I would also have to pay the dealer where the car is $150 diag. So to save a few hundred I figured it out not worth running around. I have a 40kwh battery so hopefully this will let me keep the car a couple years before I get the new car itch :)

Back