Changing out the 12V battery in a 2018 Leaf: any gotchas?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
So other than anecdotal references, there's no documented research studies corroborating why AGM batteries might be beneficial
for use in the Leaf versus using a lead acid battery with a larger capacity, i.e. a higher Ahr rating than the OEM 51R, right?
Since I didn't provide "documented research studies", your conclusion is that none can possibly exist? I'm not here to win a debate. I've done some amount of reading on the technology since being fascinated by the OEM AGM battery in my 1991 Miata. I provided some info which you can use for your own research if you care to.
Furthermore, since the Leaf 2 continues to use the 51R, Nissan appears to not see any benefit to using an AGM battery or a Li-ion,
or increasing the low point of its charging voltage.
Maybe they recognize the benefits of AGM but preferred the cheaper alternative. No battery meets every use case. Any car is a museum of engineering compromises.

People who only believe facts that have been documented by official research studies should probably avoid driving or owning cars entirely. The technology has evolved in a fairly haphazard manner over many decades, with changes based on everything from sound engineering decisions, to not so sound engineering decisions, to focus groups (I was in one of those for a couple of years before dropping out in disgust), to whims. Yes, Nissan prefers the flooded cell starting batteries because they are cheap. Imagine that.

LeftieBiker said:
People who only believe facts that have been documented by official research studies should probably avoid driving or owning cars entirely. The technology has evolved in a fairly haphazard manner over many decades, with changes based on everything from sound engineering decisions, to not so sound engineering decisions, to focus groups (I was in one of those for a couple of years before dropping out in disgust), to whims. Yes, Nissan prefers the flooded cell starting batteries because they are cheap. Imagine that.
+1
My brother needs a new battery for his '13 and I suggested he look for a 51R AGM. I suggested Pep Boys as not too long ago someone here and I verified, posted they had Bosch AGM 51Rs for around $150. Well, he called and not only do they not really carry AGM batteries anymore and told him that they "are being phased out" :? but they said even if they could find a 51R AGM it would be around $300! They suggested he try a couple of other local auto-parts stores and none had an AGM in the 51R size but they said they could order one for again very expensive prices. He said O'Riley quoted around $170 for a regular acid 51R. I had checked a local big box lumber store(Menards, similar to Home Depot) yesterday and noted they only sold a couple AGM 12v batteries, mostly for trolling motors and all too large to fit in a Leaf, they did have (3) 51R acid batteries on the shelf for ~$110. I remember thinking to myself that not that long ago(OK, maybe a couple of decades ago) I could purchase Champion acid batteries for $39-49 and no-name acid batteries for $29 so I thought the $110 was high, guess I was wrong. I purchased my Optima yellow-top 51R that I still have in my '12 for $199 but now Optima's seem to sell for over $300 and I couldn't even find a 51R, only a regular 51 which won't work.
Apparently, the Pep Boys was correct in that AGM batteries seem to have fallen from favor :( so I'm just going to suggest my brother get a flooded acid battery, Amazon did sell a "Powertex Batteries Lithium-Ion LiFePO4 BCI Group Size 51R Automotive Battery - 12.8V 720CA 360CCA 36Ah 461Wh - AGM & SLA Drop-In Premium Replacement" for $399 but as my brother just recently moved into an apartment and no longer has access to home charging and instead is forced into QC'ing basically all the time, he's not sure how much longer he's going to keep his Leaf :( He loved it for the 4 years he's had it but may be forced to going back to a gas burner so he doesn't want to spend more than he needs to on a replacement battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Powertex-Batteries-Lithium-Ion-LiFePO4-Automotive/dp/B09HL5KXW9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=17EGGSI2MN2PI&dchild=1&keywords=51r%2Bagm%2Bbattery&qid=1635282986&sprefix=51r%2Bag%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN0Q1QTM5WTlIWDY1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjc2MDU2MkJPU0o2MzBQVjhSSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTU1MjM3M0c0TDAzTjQxQjAxRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
The Nissan Leaf is a nice car but above all it's been "value engineered" so just because the OEM battery isn't an AGM doesn't mean a flooded acid battery is the best for a Leaf, it's just the cheapest.

jjeff said:
Amazon did sell a "Powertex Batteries Lithium-Ion LiFePO4 BCI Group Size 51R Automotive Battery - 12.8V 720CA 360CCA 36Ah 461Wh - AGM & SLA Drop-In Premium Replacement" for $399 but as my brother just recently moved into an apartment and no longer has access to home...
The Lithium battery need not be that big, I've been going fine for years on the 20AH size, cheaper now of course as it tends to be a popular standard size for Lead replacements in other gas engines than it was 10 years ago. The battery just needs to turn on the Leaf, not run a starter motor, so the smaller size is able to work just as well.

I charged my battery at 2A until it stopped then let it sit for 24 hours. It's now at 10.5V so I think it's shot. I think I'm going to get a Optima Yellow top D35. I'll need to get a new hold down bar but BrockWI shows that it fits well otherwise. At $265 it's not cheap but hopefully it will last longer than 4 years.

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
+1
My brother needs a new battery for his '13 and I suggested he look for a 51R AGM. I suggested Pep Boys as not too long ago someone here and I verified, posted they had Bosch AGM 51Rs for around $150. Well, he called and not only do they not really carry AGM batteries anymore and told him that they "are being phased out" :? but they said even if they could find a 51R AGM it would be around $300! They suggested he try a couple of other local auto-parts stores and none had an AGM in the 51R size but they said they could order one for again very expensive prices. He said O'Riley quoted around $170 for a regular acid 51R. I had checked a local big box lumber store(Menards, similar to Home Depot) yesterday and noted they only sold a couple AGM 12v batteries, mostly for trolling motors and all too large to fit in a Leaf, they did have (3) 51R acid batteries on the shelf for ~$110. I remember thinking to myself that not that long ago(OK, maybe a couple of decades ago) I could purchase Champion acid batteries for $39-49 and no-name acid batteries for $29 so I thought the $110 was high, guess I was wrong. I purchased my Optima yellow-top 51R that I still have in my '12 for $199 but now Optima's seem to sell for over $300 and I couldn't even find a 51R, only a regular 51 which won't work.
Apparently, the Pep Boys was correct in that AGM batteries seem to have fallen from favor :( so I'm just going to suggest my brother get a flooded acid battery, Amazon did sell a "Powertex Batteries Lithium-Ion LiFePO4 BCI Group Size 51R Automotive Battery - 12.8V 720CA 360CCA 36Ah 461Wh - AGM & SLA Drop-In Premium Replacement" for $399 but as my brother just recently moved into an apartment and no longer has access to home charging and instead is forced into QC'ing basically all the time, he's not sure how much longer he's going to keep his Leaf :( He loved it for the 4 years he's had it but may be forced to going back to a gas burner so he doesn't want to spend more than he needs to on a replacement battery.
https://www.amazon.com/Powertex-Batteries-Lithium-Ion-LiFePO4-Automotive/dp/B09HL5KXW9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=17EGGSI2MN2PI&dchild=1&keywords=51r%2Bagm%2Bbattery&qid=1635282986&sprefix=51r%2Bag%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN0Q1QTM5WTlIWDY1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjc2MDU2MkJPU0o2MzBQVjhSSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTU1MjM3M0c0TDAzTjQxQjAxRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
The Nissan Leaf is a nice car but above all it's been "value engineered" so just because the OEM battery isn't an AGM doesn't mean a flooded acid battery is the best for a Leaf, it's just the cheapest.

https://remybattery.com/intimidator-9a51r-group-size-51r-agm-battery-html.html

Learjet said:
jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
+1

https://remybattery.com/intimidator-9a51r-group-size-51r-agm-battery-html.html
Just wondering if you've had any experience with that company? at $170(and I think shipped) it's a great price and I think I might suggest it to my brother. A flooded acid battery locally seems to be around $110 so for ~$60 more it might be the way to go......I wonder how good a brand it is, although the flooded acid battery I was looking at wasn't exactly a name-brand either, at least that I'm aware of.
Shoots just looked again and shipping looks to be $26 for the cheapest home delivery to my area. Well that would bring the price to ~$200 so I guess it will be up to my brother if he wants to spend about double($90) more for AGM vs flooded acid. As I'm not exactly sure how much longer he's going to own the Leaf I guess it will be up to him. If he does keep the Leaf and again the vehicle will be parked outside on a $110/month pothole-ridden lot :roll: when it could get down to -20F and no way to plug the Leaf in, I guess even just one jump-start might make the AGM worth it........I'll let him make the decision.

Learjet said:
someone on this forum has bought from them...that is where i got the link

Thanks, I just feel better knowing at least someone here has ordered from them before passing the information on. Sounds like another number Optima should also work but for the most part, I like using the OEM number which the one you linked is.

I'm not sure they manufacture their own batteries. Look at the 'about us' link and it seems like they just rebrand batteries, which isn't surprising since there are very few companies that actually build batteries.

I got a 10% discount offer via email when I put a battery in my cart but I think I'm going to go with a D35 Optima. I can pick it up today, vs waiting ~10 days for the 51R AGM and while it is about $100 more, hopefully it will last > 5 years so in the long run it's not a big deal.

My local Costco had Interstate 51R FLA for $99 but they were out of stock. There are lots of Leafs around here ;)

goldbrick said:
I'm not sure they manufacture their own batteries. Look at the 'about us' link and it seems like they just rebrand batteries, which isn't surprising since there are very few companies that actually build batteries.

I got a 10% discount offer via email when I put a battery in my cart but I think I'm going to go with a D35 Optima. I can pick it up today, vs waiting ~10 days for the 51R AGM and while it is about $100 more, hopefully it will last > 5 years so in the long run it's not a big deal.

My local Costco had Interstate 51R FLA for $99 but they were out of stock. There are lots of Leafs around here ;)
I've had my Optima yellow-top 51R in my '12 for 4 years and it's been flawless. Back in the day, it was $199 off Amazon but as I said before, I no longer see the 51R from any sellers on Amazon. I'm not sure how much better the Optima brand is, if you read the reviews like I did back in the day there were many complaints about how Optima had gone downhill, company sold or batteries were no longer being made in N. America? but I decided to pay a bit extra and get it anyway and I've been happy. Besides it looks cool with its yellow top and curved sides with the nice built-in handle, the one linked and my brother is going to go for just looks like any other 12v battery, square and boring looking :) Again I have no problem with using a different battery than the OEM, in fact, I used to do it all the time, I'd find the largest-sized battery that would fit in the vehicle I had, I figured as they were basically all the same price, I'd get the largest capacity for the money :D
I also checked Costco(who used to sell Optimas but hasn't for many years) and they were also out of the 51R flooded acid batteries. Sams club used to sell the Optima brand but I haven't had a membership there for probably a decade to know if they still do.

Haven't really checked into this, but might be a viable option; size 51r AGM battery; what looks to be designed more for wheelchair, golf carts and similar use -- meaning optimized for deep discharge characteristics, and might be useful for LEAF which does not need hundreds of "cranking amps". You'd need some kind of terminal adapter, but the price is certainly right for an AGM battery -- maybe the customer is not being soaked because it's not considered an automotive battery?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-55Ah-SLA-Battery-Replacement-for-Megavolt-Flooded-BCI-51R/747886026

If low price is not a big objective, then a LiFePo4 lithium AGM replacement (that is, replaces AGM with improvements) battery packs twice the usable amperage into 1/3 the weight. Of course, there is still the matter of charging in frigid weather, but LiFePo4 chemistry is very stable. I haven't looked for them in the 51R configuration, though - I'm considering one for our sump pump UPS, for the simple reason that I can no longer carry a 70lb battery.

I bought a Optima D35 yellow top last night. The store couldn't find it at first since it was out in front on display. I guess they knew I was coming as I had checked their website a few times looking for one.....

AFAICT, Optima doesn't make a 51R anymore. At least I couldn't find one. The D35 should fit although the mounting will have to be updated. I'll try to snap some photos of the process for posterity this weekend. I'm looking forward to driving the Leaf again.

Optima still shows the Yellow Top 51R on their web site for about $265. I intend to buy one as soon as the OEM battery in my 2019 shows any sign of weakness. I hope they remain available, but many things are temporarily out of stock or have long delivery times in our current economic situation.

Interesting. I couldn't find one anywhere but I guess I didn't look that hard. The D35 fits perfectly in the metal tray under the 51R plastic tray. I'm looking for a hold down now since a regular Type 35 seems to be about 1/2" wider than the D35 from Optima. No big deal but if I can find a 'universal' hold down that I like I'm going to use that.

It sure was a relief when the Leaf powered up normally after the new battery went in ....

The OEM battery failed suddenly in my 2019 at the end of November (27 months, 39,000 miles of use). I opened/closed the doors to get tools numerous times during the day so it is possible that kept the control modules from sleeping and discharged the weak battery. I had to clear a bunch of error codes using Leaf Spy while jumper cables were connected before the car would go into READY mode. I was able to drive to my workshop garage and pick up a booster battery without incident. I then purchased a new Optima yellow top group 51R from Batteries Plus Bulbs for $265 via their web site to pick up at my local store (saved 10% by purchasing online). The OEM battery took enough charge to start the car several times while I ran errands and picked up the new battery that evening. I was able to clear all remaining DTC error codes after installing the new battery. The tire rotation reminder and the trip data on the dash were reset when I disconnected the old battery. The driver door window auto up/down function was also disabled until I opened/closed the window fully and held the button in the up and down positions for a few seconds after travel stopped.

Back