Suspension problem - Leaf "jumps" to side when on bumpy road

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vedranius

Hi,
my Leaf (2014) when driving over a slightly bumpy road, would sometime turn to one side and make a fair noise on the left side.
Also, when accelerating and driving through some slight small bump on the road it would "jump" to one side.
It's really annoying and I'd say not safe to drive like that.

I've changed front stabilizator clamps and wheel forks (not sure how it is called) and it still happens.

Any thoughts on this and what might be the problem?
I will soon go to another mechanic, because three of them said that everything is fine...
But, would like to be prepared to what to check for before I go there...

Thanks a lot!

Check the wheel bearings and all suspension components. Even the CV joints could be suspect if one side becomes dis-engaged momentarily.

Can you feel the movement in the steering wheel when the car jumps? If not then there may be problems with the steering linkages.

Try turning off the traction control temporarily, to see if it still happens. I have noticed "skittish" behavior when hitting bumps (i.e. a manhole cover) in the road while braking, although not while accelerating, and it's definitely due to the tractional control.

Fortunately, it rarely does that on mine so I leave the tractional control on. It is disconcerting when it happens though, always freaks me out :eek:

goldbrick said:
Check the wheel bearings and all suspension components. Even the CV joints could be suspect if one side becomes dis-engaged momentarily.

Can you feel the movement in the steering wheel when the car jumps? If not then there may be problems with the steering linkages.

I'd say that I feel it in the steering wheel too. So I need to move the wheel to the other side to straighten the car...

I'll say my mechanic to check these.
Any other recommendations what to check?
Thanks!

alozzy said:
Try turning off the traction control temporarily, to see if it still happens. I have noticed "skittish" behavior when hitting bumps (i.e. a manhole cover) in the road while braking, although not while accelerating, and it's definitely due to the tractional control.

Fortunately, it rarely does that on mine so I leave the tractional control on. It is disconcerting when it happens though, always freaks me out :eek:

Hm, I don't think so that's the traction control problem on mine. Because I know when traction control engages, and it's fine when it does, and this only happens for me when I accelerate really hard or when on a wet road. And tbh it helps a lot! :D

Back