New Leaf won’t connect to internet or ev connect

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldus

Purchased new leaf SV+. Registered with ev connect on day one, seemed to work fine. Over the weekend had trouble with nav and voice commands. ( BTW traded 18 sv with similar electronics, just bought bigger battery). Took it to dealer today, they had trouble, too. Brought it home, sat in garage and attempted to link to wifi. Got wifi can’t connect notification. Tried my phone as wifi hotspot, wifi can’t connect. Called EV Services…it was like speaking to a non english speaking person. Tonight EV Connect asked for vin and insurance again and again. When finally logged in…EV Services can’t connect. Called, they are on reduced hours. Seriously thinking of getting Texas AG involved, getting my money back, and going Tesla. Hell of a day…no support from Nissan. Wish I’d kept the 18 SV. Had 0 problems besides her short legs.

Just because the telematics are having trouble connecting isn't a reason to dump a whole car (and make a federal case out of it).
The thing is under warranty, so the worst that can happen is they replace the TCU; it's simple enough (at least on the Gen1) that I did it myself.

donaldus said:
Purchased new leaf SV+.

Whoa, stop right there, brand new?! Make Nissan fix it. I don't have a 2022 model, only a 2020, but I don't recall reading about anything changing for the head unit, should be the same hardware. Nissan Connect has been having some weird issues, so before I even mess with the phone app, I check the website first when having issues. The app is just a portal to the website anyway, might as well start at the root of the problem. ;)

took it to Crest Nissan (dealer I purchased it from), they are baffled. Methinks after reading that a number of Leaf owners are having evconnect problems, it is probably a fault from Nissan. Thanks to this forum and Nissan Leaf Facebook pages, I was able to solve some of the glitches. Galls me that Nissan has abbreviated customer service and evconnect availability. Imagine your Police or Fire Department only available from 9-5! Bought Leaf over Model 3 for Dealer “Service “…boy, did I botch that premise!

Stanton said:
Just because the telematics are having trouble connecting isn't a reason to dump a whole car (and make a federal case out of it).
The thing is under warranty, so the worst that can happen is they replace the TCU; it's simple enough (at least on the Gen1) that I did it myself.

I am making a “State” case out of this. The lack of support and response from Nissan is abysmal at best. Documenting every contact by forwarding copies of calls, texts and emails to Texas AG and Rep.. They are on it and have stated it is entering Texas Lemon Law territory…thank God for Texas…gonna buy an oily, smoky diesel.

donaldus said:
I am making a “State” case out of this. The lack of support and response from Nissan is abysmal at best. Documenting every contact by forwarding copies of calls, texts and emails to Texas AG and Rep.. They are on it and have stated it is entering Texas Lemon Law territory…thank God for Texas…gonna buy an oily, smoky diesel.

The one thing that is beyond the control of Nissan is the actual service signal the Leaf gets. That is probably the last thing you can test, drive to an area that you know has good 4G coverage, then play with the app (or website) and see if the Leaf responds better. I know that when I visit relatives where cell coverage is terrible, I can't check the battery status or start the AC remotely. The app appears to be terrible. But when I return home where I live within site distance of a cell tower, app is fast, everything works great.

I live North of Dallas…great cell reception. It is EV Connect being a sub of Nissan that is creating this error shared by many Leaf users. The thing that disturbs me most is the total lack of care Nissan provides. Finally received a call from Nissan area rep…Thomas. No answers, no explanations…sounded like a robot reading a script. All they understand is legal and social pressure. Sad; great car ruined by poor service and an incompetent Manufacturer.

I'm having issues today too. Yesterday I could log onto the website but the app was saying I have to update to the latest.... ok but I DID update it last week. Google play says I have the latest version. Ok I'll reboot my phone it's been a while. Nope, the app just crashes to desktop.

Logged in to the website and it has all sorts of HTTP errors.

This happens regularly every 2-3 months, and gets resolved in a week or less so far for me (lessee since December).
Is it a Tesla no, but I'm not paying 700 a month lease either.

Like most things having to do with Wi-Fi, fixing these problems requires a certain amount of patience. Generally speaking Wi-Fi connections are finicky. If you lose your Wi-Fi connection from the LEAF, or so it has a strong signal from the Wi-Fi SSID of choice, and do a number of steps.

First, The Wi-Fi connections menu and tell it to forget the SSIDs that you want to reconnect..

Second, from the same menu shut the Wi-Fi off completely.

Third, power the vehicle down and let it sit for 5 minutes say.

Fourth, can go and cycle the power on the repeater or the router that's providing the Wi-Fi signal to the LEAF. Involves other pushing the on/off button or unplugging it and leaving the router or repeater off or at least 30 seconds. Unplug it back in, and stick around until it indicates that it's in connection with the master router in the case of the repeater or with the internet in the case of the router. Test the repeater or the router with a cell phone to make sure that it can be connected and it does have internet.

Fifth, go back to the LEAF, turn on, and turn on the Wi-Fi. After you do that you should see the SSIDs that you are interested in connecting to. By pressing the circle I button confirm their signals are strong.

Sixth, each SSID in turn and reconnected as if you were connecting for the first time including putting the password in. Once it connects make sure to depress auto connect on the display. You probably only want to specify one SSID as an auto connect. The circuitry if there's more than one will get into a race and you'll end up with the LEAF never connecting to any of them.

Seventh, You're all set. If you're not you have a choice of doing the sequence all over again. Still doesn't work then you might want to take it to the dealers to get the TCM module or something changed.

Again I emphasize most of this has nothing to do with Nissan or the Nissan LEAF. It's just that that router's these days are really complicated and the protocols aren't necessarily standard. Finally cheap routers and repeaters really push the margins of how the hardware is supposed to perform. Save money on manufacturing. It means that the set of devices with which they can communicate is smaller than otherwise. Really makes much sense to buy a cheap router repeater.

ecoquant said:
It's just that that router's these days are really complicated and the protocols aren't necessarily standard.
This is not true.

And I high suspect your seven steps above are mostly bogus.

jlv said:
ecoquant said:
It's just that that router's these days are really complicated and the protocols aren't necessarily standard.
This is not true.

And I high suspect your seven steps above are mostly bogus.

Well, it's worked for me, several times. And our home WiFi network is a little complicated, with a main router, and two repeaters, including an outdoor one bought expressly to tie the SV Plus to our network.

Interoperability testing for routers and receivers is not as comprehensive as it is for, say, cell phones.

But no one has to believe me. Our Verizon-supplied primary router, a G3100, which is otherwise a wonderful device, won't allow one to shell in and change several settings without ceasing to operate, e.g., making certain addresses on the local network static. That's not been true of earlier Verizon models, and it is certainly non standard.

As a moderator, I approved the above post as you are a new user with a post count under 4.

As a network engineer for decades, I'll call your comment "and the protocols aren't necessarily standard" bogus.

Back