Key system error

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thick8

Hi All,
2018 SV with 69,000 miles on it.
I've replaced the keyfob batteries. Yet this message is displayed whenever I enter the vehicle. Runs and drives fine and after a little while the yellow caution triangle light goes out. I saw somewhere that the next step is to replace the 12 volt battery. Is this just a regular FLA battery? I'm on the Napa website and can't go outside to check because it's raining pretty heavily right now.

Thick8 said:
Hi All,
2018 SV with 69,000 miles on it.
I've replaced the keyfob batteries. Yet this message is displayed whenever I enter the vehicle. Runs and drives fine and after a little while the yellow caution triangle light goes out. I saw somewhere that the next step is to replace the 12 volt battery. Is this just a regular FLA battery? I'm on the Napa website and can't go outside to check because it's raining pretty heavily right now.

Battery Group Size 51R. Yes it's just a conventional 12V auto battery. FLA will work, though I feel an AGM battery is worthwhile in this application. But since yours is relatively new I'd recommend you get it load-tested before deciding whether or not it needs replacement.

Nubo said:
[edit]...But since yours is relatively new I'd recommend you get it load-tested before deciding whether or not it needs replacement.
I wouldn't call a 3 year old 12v battery "relatively new", but since we don't know where the OP lives, we don't know the environment.
There is a million 12v threads (see my sig for my choice), but this is just another case of a dying/dead 12v battery.

Stanton said:
Nubo said:
[edit]...But since yours is relatively new I'd recommend you get it load-tested before deciding whether or not it needs replacement.
I wouldn't call a 3 year old 12v battery "relatively new", but since we don't know where the OP lives, we don't know the environment.
There is a million 12v threads (see my sig for my choice), but this is just another case of a dying/dead 12v battery.

I'd hope for more than 3 years but of course there are a lot of variables. But it's young enough that (given today's prices) I wouldn't discard based on a theory when it's easy enough to test the true health of the battery.

Stanton said:
Ditto. The 12 volt that came w/my used 5/2013 former '13 Leaf that I bought in July 2015 didn't even make it to the 3 year mark. Was replaced for free by a local dealer under 3 year/36K warranty.

Back