EV System Warning Light - 2011 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forzasteve

Hello All,

Got the EV System Warning Light indicator on the 2011 Leaf. Don't see a way to post photo, but the EV System Indicator light is yellow car outline with exclamation point in center. The light is located on the Leaf's Dash immediately below the power meter and to the right of the "ready to drive" indicator.

Checked owner's manual and says could be one of the following problems:

• Traction motor and inverter system
  • Charge port or on board charger
  • LI-ion battery system
  • Cooling system
  • Shift control system
  • Emergency shut-off system is activated

Tried to read the diagnostic codes by plugging in an OBD2 reader, but was not successful reading the codes. I expect the Leaf uses proprietary program.

Checked the coolant levels and found that the coolant reservoir was a bit low. Added distilled water (about 1/2 cup) to bring it up, but that did not resolve the problem.

Anyone experience this problem? Does anyone know what the underlying issue is.

You need LeafSpy Pro and a port reader like the one in my signature. It could be just a bad 12 volt battery - start by eliminating that with a rest voltage check: car off for 15+ minutes and the hood left open so you don't have to open a door to check it. No guarantees, but with luck it just needs a new accessory battery. If so, charge it fully before installing it.

When I was having a second key programmed, the locksmith blew the ODB fuse (unknown to me) and that light came on. Of course I couldn't use Leafspy without the ODB working. However, I checked all fuses and found one blown. Replaced it and the ODB worked again and the light went off.

forzasteve said:
Hello All,

Got the EV System Warning Light indicator on the 2011 Leaf. Don't see a way to post photo, but the EV System Indicator light is yellow car outline with exclamation point in center. The light is located on the Leaf's Dash immediately below the power meter and to the right of the "ready to drive" indicator.

Checked owner's manual and says could be one of the following problems:

• Traction motor and inverter system
  • Charge port or on board charger
  • LI-ion battery system
  • Cooling system
  • Shift control system
  • Emergency shut-off system is activated

Tried to read the diagnostic codes by plugging in an OBD2 reader, but was not successful reading the codes. I expect the Leaf uses proprietary program.

Checked the coolant levels and found that the coolant reservoir was a bit low. Added distilled water (about 1/2 cup) to bring it up, but that did not resolve the problem.

Anyone experience this problem? Does anyone know what the underlying issue is.

You should use Leafspy Pro to pull the codes. It's a great app that can pull the codes & show battery health and other info. it's like $15.

Only the pro version can pull the codes.

What preceded the light going on and has it stayed on after repeated power ups?

This can be caused by a bad communication between the car and EVSE as the charging ends. If so, the warning light will not appear at the next power up (rarely it takes a second time). No cause for worry if this is the case.

forzasteve said:
Hello All,

My 2011 Leaf also started showing this EV warning light since last week. Problem is that car is not charging anymore.

Yes, I did replace 12 volt battery maybe couple of years or a year ago. Got it checked with Nissan dealer ($120 for diagnostics), they are saying onboard charger has failed. It will be $3000 to replace. Certainly, can't spend that much for car that is not even worth that much. Not sure what to do. They gave me codes P2840 and B29C1.

Sorry to hear. There has to be a junk yard that would have a used one? But then who's going to install .... Would it need to be programmed(addressed) to your car?

I love my Leaf, and would have like to drive it for few more years. But with battery giving low miles (about 60) and this high charge for onboard charger, making it difficult to keep. I know folks who can work on salvage cars for ICE, but I don't think there is anyone who can do EV.

There are people who work on salvage Leafs but it is a niche market and I'd be very surprised to ever see a Leaf at a normal junkyard. I would bet nearly all of them are bought at auction by people who work on EV's. You can probably find parts on ebay or other websites but finding someone qualified to do the work will be much harder.

Have you checked if the onboard charger has a blown diode? There are threads on this forum that cover that.

quadrat said:
My 2011 Leaf also started showing this EV warning light since last week. Problem is that car is not charging anymore.

I took it to Nissan dealer. They gave codes P2840 and B29C1 - On Board Charger failed. Thanks for the tip, I will look at those posts on Diode.

Back