1 Year "Battery Check" Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy3

I'm starting this thread to discuss our experiences with the LEAF one-year battery check. Owners, check your Warranty booklet to see that the first two yearly battery checks should be performed by your dealer without cost to you. (MODS - if I missed another similar thread in my search, please move/merge this one, thanks.)

We will have had our LEAF for one year next week. I decided to get the one year battery check done today. The results are not what I expected. I expected to get a sheet that outlines the state of each battery cell. Details. With numbers.

Instead, I received a "Battery Information Sheet" that contains two main parts. At the top, it states, "The battery capacity retrieved from your LEAF is as follows..." then there is a box with 12 filled-in blocks. In a generic way, it tells me that my LEAF battery has not degraded to the point where it would lose 1/12th (or, take away one of the marks).

Below this is a section called, "Advice for your usage" where four items are listed. These are -
1. Frequent use of quick charging
2. Frequent charging when battery state of charge is already high
3. Too much electric consumption while driving, and
4. Long term parking with high state of charge.

The "Recommendation" for each of the four items is, "Your score is very high and good for your battery."

That's it. That's my one year battery check. I guess I'm golden.

Oh, the tech also caught one code, DTC code B29A0, "N/Chg Port Engagement Error (Signal Invalid)" The tech ran details on this and said not to worry, that nothing was found to show that this was a real problem. By the way, he asked me if I used the upgraded EVSE to charge at 240 volt. I replied, yes to this and he said this may be what was caught in the error code. But, don't worry, all is well.

Thanks for the heads up; good to know you're still 12/12 after a year.

But, darn. I was looking forward to obsessing over every cell! :| :lol:

How many miles do you have?

Did your Leaf firmware get updated during the Battery Check or had your Leaf been updated before?

My Leaf is still on the firmware that it was shipped with and I am not to keen on how the new firmware will change the behavior of the SOC.

Thanks for the heads up. Mine's due in a few days as well.
Did you need to drop it off for the day?
Did you go in with an especially low or high SOC?

sparky said:
Thanks for the heads up. Mine's due in a few days as well.
Did you need to drop it off for the day?
Did you go in with an especially low or high SOC?

I set up an appointment and told them that I had only 2 hours to get this done. They finished it in about 1 hour. It was at about 75% SOC and they didn't seem to see SOC on arrival as an issue. Also, they had it on the charger while they did the check.

I will be getting mine done in a couple weeks. the lack of specific information is a bummer. so it sounds like until we get eight and half percent battery degradation or not I know anything

Don't ever expect any detailed pack info, Nissan has removed some of the previous detail on the original consult so dealers can no longer see it. All detailed info is sent to Nissan for no one to see. My guess is they don't want you to see any degradation until it is much more advanced.

Well, 1/12 degradation is 8.5% and you can extrapolate from that.. if it happens when the car has reached 50k miles then you can guess it will be close to the magical cliff-o-death 20% (or is it 30% for lithium?, I cant remember) at 100k miles. My guess it to start keeping an eye out for the first reported drop in this forum this coming year from the most active members. If it happens at 75k miles then we are golden.

Herm said:
Well, 1/12 degradation is 8.5% and you can extrapolate from that.
I don't think so. According to a presumably official chart someone posted here last year each bar is actually 6.25% of capacity, except the last one which is 16.25% and the first on which is 15%. So don't expect to see anything in the bars until the battery is down to 85% capacity.

By the way, I thought that chart was supposed to have come from the service manual, but now that I finally have access to the service manual I can't find it there.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I don't think so. According to a presumably official chart someone posted here last year each bar is actually 6.25% of capacity, except the last one which is 16.25% and the first on which is 15%.

Are you sure that the 12 boxes on the dealer battery test report are the same as the 12 bars on the dash? I didn't take it that way. Or what "official chart" do you refer to?

keydiver said:
planet4ever said:
I don't think so. According to a presumably official chart someone posted here last year each bar is actually 6.25% of capacity, except the last one which is 16.25% and the first on which is 15%.
Are you sure that the 12 boxes on the dealer battery test report are the same as the 12 bars on the dash? I didn't take it that way. Or what "official chart" do you refer to?
No, I can't be sure that they correspond, but the fact that there are 12 of each leads me to think it is likely. Here is the presumably official chart:

Capacity.jpg

Ray

Brought my LEAF into the dealer yesterday for my one year checkup. The dealer was fine and friendly, but there was no information after I got the car back. The invoice said they did the multi-point inspection, which the service manager said included the battery check. They also rotated the tires and washed the car. Charge was $0. He said everything looked good. I would assume that means no battery degradation or problems. I was hoping for more information, but I had figured all would check out ok.

So not much to report here.

-Peter

Randy3 said:
Instead, I received a "Battery Information Sheet" that contains two main parts. At the top, it states, "The battery capacity retrieved from your LEAF is as follows..." then there is a box with 12 filled-in blocks. In a generic way, it tells me that my LEAF battery has not degraded to the point where it would lose 1/12th (or, take away one of the marks).

While you're probably right about a blank top box meaning you've lost 1/12 of your charge capacity, it could also be setup so that the box changes color when 1/2 of the charge capacity represented by the box is gone. (i.e. diagnostic printout having no relationship to dashboard bars)

So in that scenario - first box gone, you've lost somewhere between 1/24 and 3/24 of your charge capacity, two boxes gone, 3/24 to 5/24, etc.

If this was the metric - it would be even better news for you as you would know you've lost less then 1/24 of the pack capacity.

Probably not the case - but since we don't know - why not think of this in the most optimistic way :D

EVDRIVER said:
Don't ever expect any detailed pack info, Nissan has removed some of the previous detail on the original consult so dealers can no longer see it. All detailed info is sent to Nissan for no one to see. My guess is they don't want you to see any degradation until it is much more advanced.

I was given a free battery check like the one year check when I took mine to the dealer for the "air conditioning" update. The dealer and I decided to do this to know how the procedure goes and to get a baseline reading on the pack. It turns out that the information provided to me was essentially a snapshot picture of the dashboard battery SOC meter with an explanation of the health meter that is along side it. It said I had 12 bars, which I could clearly see when I drove it in, so no real information. I'm not sure how much additional information was sent back to Nissan from this checkup, but I suspect they see a bit more on their report.

Back