Top Speed = 93 mph

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayaktivist

Published max speed varies from 89.5mph to 98.5mph. My 2022 SV clocked in at 93mph according to the speedometer, which is underreporting by 2% since tires are new (and larger in circumference). What have other people seen?

It's largely a function of the rpm limiter. There's more than enough horsepower to go faster if the rpm or gearing were different. The only real variable is actual wheel diameter.

If you are concerned about accuracy, you should get the speed from GPS. Also, you should average two runs in opposite directions. This would correct for wind and gradient.

Top speed is often used as an indicator of performance. If an ICE car can't go 100 mph, it will not have adequate acceleration. 120 mph is better. But an electric car can have good acceleration without a high top speed. 90 mph is more than enough for me. But I am a grandfather.

The Leaf Plus goes well over 100 MPH and it gets there pretty quick also.... even grandfathers have to occasionally scratch the itch!

Kayaktivist said:
Published max speed varies from 89.5mph to 98.5mph. My 2022 SV clocked in at 93mph according to the speedometer, which is underreporting by 2% since tires are new (and larger in circumference). What have other people seen?

The 40 kWh 2018 Leaf my wife drives has a top speed of 92 MPH according to the speedometer and doing a GPS test came up nearly identicial, so it might depend on the tires and wear levels as others have said. I've topped my 2020 SL+ at 100 MPH speedometer/GPS, so for our both our Leaf, the tires are giving us a slight speed boost in the top end, but in no way was it max power as I think I was only pulling 50 kW to hold 100 MPH in my 2020.

I've had my Gen1 Leaf close to 95mph...and that was with the old battery pack (not that there's anything wrong with that)...

2011 and 2015 were governed at 94 MPH (as measured by GPS) due to maximum safe RPM for the electric motors. 2019 Plus will exceed 100 MPH with OEM tires, but I did not confirm absolute maximum. I have 215/55 R17 tires now (one size larger than OEM 215/50 R17) so it will go a little faster, but I have still not confirmed the maximum. Again, the limitation is the maximum safe RPM for the electric motor.

Back