Charging points

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbogee

Hi everyone.

I have a Leaf on order and I'm supposed to pick it up on Saturday. However, I've been on the web doing a bit of recce re charging away from home ie M'way service stations.

I find it confusing that there seems to be a whole host of charger providers. Do you have to have an app on your phone to get the points to work and do you need an app for each provider?? To be honest it's starting to give me cold feet and I might just cancel my order. For the record I'm 65 so it's all a bit new to me having had ICE for years.

Also there was an item re rapid charging the Leaf (40 KWh like mine). Apparently if you try to do two rapids in tandem the car will only let you charge it at the '5 hour rate ' for the second charge - not good on a journey ...

Can anyone help enlighten me please?

Thanks

Some charging stations or networks require an app (I just encountered one of those recently) but most require only a card.

Yes, there is an issue with 2018+ Leafs - especially, but not only the 40kwh version - and doing multiple fast charges in one day. Search for the term "rapidgate". If you need to do multiple quick charges in a day on a regular basis, then you should reconsider getting a Leaf.

Jimbogee said:
Do you have to have an app on your phone to get the points to work and do you need an app for each provider?? To be honest it's starting to give me cold feet and I might just cancel my order. For the record I'm 65 so it's all a bit new to me having had ICE for years.

Try this app: https://www.plugshare.com/

A Nissan Leaf can only use J1772 and CHAdeMO plugs so only enable the display of those types.

There is a learning curve with an EV but once you get used to it, you will love it. My dad is 86 and he just loves his Leaf. Ditto for my mom. It took her a bit longer to warm up to the car but once you try it, you'll be hooked. Best of luck.

Jimbogee said:
charging away from home ie M'way service stations.
Hi, you might want to update your profile with your location or at least post what country you are in, since I suspect you are in the UK. That will help people answer your question.

Back