Add Homelink to 2022 SV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwhitney

I recently bought a 2022 SV and couldn't get the Tech Package due to limited supply. So I'm wondering about the different options for adding Homelink powered by the car (rather than relying on a battery operated remote).

1) Rearview mirror replacement. I did this once on a Bolt, but it had a dimming rearview mirror, so there was already power coming to the mirror. The SV has no power to the mirror, but there's that camera assembly right next to/above the mirror mount. So any pointers on:

a) Removing the existing mirror (there's no screw, but there's a slot on the downslope end of the attachment bracket of the mirror assembly).
b) A Homelink mirror that would use the same mount, with the wires coming out at the top of the attachment bracket.
c) How to snap the camera assembly cover off
d) Where/how to grab power there, and whether it's switched (preferred, I think) or constant power.

2) Headliner mount. Has anyone done this on a recent Leaf that would be (basically) identical to what I have? Perhaps with pictures/instructions?

3) Visor mount. The mirror light comes on even with the car off, so I assume only constant power is available. I can find some generic instructions on the web, wondering if there's anything more specific for a recent model Leaf.

Thanks,
Wayne

I don't know about a 2022 but on my 2017 I used a Gentex mirror and it mounted identically to the OEM (non-powered) one. Gentex seems to make many or most OEM mirrors although there are several mount styles I have seen used.

As for power, once again on my 2017 there were wires under the head-liner that were easily accessible. I think they are for the overhead lights in the cabin. I used press-on connectors that had a slot made for the appropriate wire gauge that cut through the insulation. They are used often for automotive audio, etc. and should be easy to find.

Not sure how much that helps but I'd be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a fairly easy installation. Maybe check Youtube to see if anyone has done a how-to there.

wwhitney said:
a) Removing the existing mirror (there's no screw, but there's a slot on the downslope end of the attachment bracket of the mirror assembly).
c) How to snap the camera assembly cover off
I was able to find instructions for both of the above here:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/resources/installation/NPD/19_1VM30.PDF

Those are the installation instructions for an official Nissan accessory mirror, which includes a removeable battery powered ARQ remote instead of Homelink.

One thing I'm not clear on is the "panel removal tool" that it calls for to remove the camera cover.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
d) Where/how to grab power there, and whether it's switched (preferred, I think) or constant power.
I decided to go for the mirror replacement, and for the above, I found that the passenger side visor mirror light circuit runs along the edge of the headliner, right by the location that my new wires routed up through the front lane camera cover will emerge under the headliner.

So last question, very basic as I know little about car wiring: the circuit has a black with occasional grey stripe, and a purple with occasional grey stripe. Black is guaranteed to be 12 V-, and so purple will be 12V+ (switched, in this case, with a delay off)?

I have a pre-wired Homelink mirror pigtail that I will attach with t-taps, so I don't have the luxury of tapping some conductors on and then checking the voltage on the free ends (unless I want to double the number of connections I make).

Cheers, Wayne

Back