I had trouble selecting Neutral - here's why!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronanocallaghan

I've had my 2019 Leaf for three months and recently had a panic at the car wash, knowing the car has to be in neutral as the machine pulls it through or you can do serious damage.
I tried about twenty times to select neutral with no success, wound down my window to alert the operator to pause the car wash, had to deal with him trying to give me helpful instructions, eventually switched the car off and found a weird way of getting into neutral after two presses of the power button without the brake pedal. Phew! Safely through the car wash ..... but when I got home I experimented again and still kept failing to get neutral in the normal way. Thought the car must be faulty or quirky.

Then this morning I had a look online and didn't seem to find anyone else having this issue. Grudgingly looked at a little Nissan video on selecting neutral, confident that I had been doing it right and that the car was failing ..... and I heard the voiceover say

"Move the selector to the middle position AND HOLD THERE UNTIL N IS DISPLAYED"

Eureka! Rushed out to the car and of course that works perfectly every time! All my failed attempts were from flicking the selector over and releasing it very quickly.

Felt pretty stupid and no doubt you are agreeing but I thought posting this might help some other idiot like me.

ronanocallaghan said:
Felt pretty stupid and no doubt you are agreeing but I thought posting this might help some other idiot like me.
I could easily resemble that remark.

Thanks for the warning !

Not sure when I knew about this but as I do occasionally like to coast in N, which has no engine breaking and gives you maximum coasting, I did know one has to hold it for a second or so to get into N, although probably not obvious the first time you try.

Learned that one the hard way (although I didn't have to RTFM), my first time through the local washrack, when the attendant had to hit E-stop while I was futzing around. I think he was the one who said to hold it in neutral until it accepted it.

Back