16 Amp EVSE Recommendations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankBlissett

We have a 20a 240v dryer outlet, ~20 feet from where the car would charge. I've poked around for 16a EVSEs on here, and found plenty of discussion buried in other topics, but was wonder if anybody has recommendations )or warnings) for particular brands/models.

Thanks in advance.

$99 DUOSIDA dual voltage from Miss Dream = 100% only option

There is also this thing if you want to hardwire

https://store.evsolutions.com/mobile/evse-rs-charging-stations-c54.aspx

I would highly recommend EVSEs the following companies. They have models with either fixed or adjustable current output.
ClipperCreek
Grizzl-E
OpenEVSE

Myself, I stay away from the Chinese knockoffs.

You can also go with the following companies, but I find that their products are expensive compared to similar companies:
ChargePoint
Webasto
JuiceBox

FrankBlissett said:
We have a 20a 240v dryer outlet, ~20 feet from where the car would charge

Is it a super old receptacle? Do you know what gauge the wire is? Modern dryer receptacles are normally NEMA 14-30R, so a 30A breaker.

If you have 10GA wire (2 hots + ground), then I would upgrade the receptacle and find a variable rate EVSE that can be set to 24A.

Clipper creek. We actually have a 12 amp 240 volt EVSE mounted outside. All weather. We only have a 100 amp service. We have a 32 amp 240 unit in the garage and then this 12 amp unit outside. Electrician says we are maxed at 12 for the second one. We use it a lot as we park the car outside whenever I have a project on the go in the garage. Clipper creek is a reliable name.

rmay635703 said:
$99 DUOSIDA dual voltage from Miss Dream = 100% only option

There is also this thing if you want to hardwire

https://store.evsolutions.com/mobile/evse-rs-charging-stations-c54.aspx

I also purchased my adjustable EVSE from Dream(salesperson's name) while not $99 it was much cheaper than comparable models and going on 4? years not a bit of trouble. I like portable adjustable models due to versatility but if all you'll ever do is use the same outlet or price is a major concern, you can't beat the price of a Chinese-made fixed amperage model.
Other well-made EVSEs of a more major brand name would be Juicebox, Grizzl-E and of course the probably most respected name, Clipper Creek. I have a wide variety of EVSEs both name brand and Chinese brand and for the most part they all work the same and that would be good. A 20a dryer circuit? thats kind of odd, well unless it's a very small dryer as most all residential dryers use a 30a 240v circuit.....

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so I thought I'd throw it out there: I've been using one of the (original) EVSE Upgrade units (from a guy called Ingineer) running @16Amps for over 10 years. You can probably still find them on our favorite auction website...and they are occasionally listed for sale on this forum. These things are bullet-proof and you can easily buy plug adapters as needed (I made mine myself).

Stanton said:
It hasn't been mentioned yet, so I thought I'd throw it out there: I've been using one of the (original) EVSE Upgrade units (from a guy called Ingineer) running @16Amps for over 10 years. You can probably still find them on our favorite auction website...and they are occasionally listed for sale on this forum. These things are bullet-proof and you can easily buy plug adapters as needed (I made mine myself).
Ah yes, I also have 2 of those conversions, which work very well. My first is a fixed 20a on any voltage(or less if your car draws less) and my second is adjustable, 8a-20a @ 240v and 8-12a 120v. Unfortunately, EVSEupgrade seems to have gone out of business? their website is no longer up and I never see iEngineer post here anymore :(
Very good find if you could find one but note there are different versions so if adjustability is important to you, make sure get the right one, my old(non-adjustable) 20a version would NOT work on a 20a circuit.......well unless you have a Leaf that only drew a maximum of 16a @ 240v as the older ones did and even the new? S models.

I have one of the original revision EVSE Upgrade units which has a fixed pilot signal corresponding to 12 amperes at any voltage. I purchased it from EVSE Upgrade to use as a portable and backup unit in 2012. I used it once in a while to charge the 2011 at 240 volts from my generator (mainly as a way to run the generator under full load periodically). The onboard charger in the 2011 would draw slightly less current than the pilot signal allowed so the generator would charge it continuously. The onboard charger in the 2019 draws the full current allowed by the pilot signal so it slightly overloads the generator. This causes the generator to shut down after charging for a few minutes. Since I have several other EVSE's, I could sell the 12-ampere unit along with several adapters and the Nissan case (zippered bag) if someone wants it.

I was impressed with the quality and customer service of EVSE Upgrade so I sent my original Nissan unit from the 2011 to them for upgrading after the car was totaled in 2015. That unit is adjustable from 6 to 12 amperes at 120 volts and 6 to 24 amperes at 208 or 240 volts so it covers my portable EVSE needs and will work with my generator by setting the current to 11 amperes at 240 volts. There were several different versions of EVSE Upgrade units based upon the Nissan 120-volt portable units. The maximum current rating depended upon the model year of the Nissan unit and later upgrades had adjustable current settings. EVSE Upgrade also upgraded other manufacturer units besides Nissan, but the Nissan units could accommodate higher current ratings.

I highly recommend appropriate models from Clipper Creek (choose fixed current rating based upon supply circuit capacity) and EVSE Upgrade units (which you can probably find used). The AeroVironment 30-ampere unit that I purchased in 2011 has been in daily use for 10 years and is very reliable, but it is not adjustable. I have no experience with the Grizzl-E units made in Canada, but their specifications look good.

I've been very satisfied with my Grizzl-E.

It's inexpensive; it's simple; it can be set (and can be ordered factory-set) for any of the four most common maximum charge rates; between the fact that it has no front-panel controls and a very simple indicator light that can be read from 20+ feet away, and the fact that the plug hook is a separate piece, and the fact that the cables are relatively easy to detach for unusual installation situations (I needed to put the charging cable through a wall and change out the line cable entirely), it is very flexible in terms of placement.

Oh, and being Canadian made, and designed to tolerate outdoor installation under Canadian weather conditions, it's extremely rugged.

I am also a happy Grizzl-E owner
The EVSE comes with a standard 3 year warranty, but 5 years can be purchased for a small cost increase.

Back