My Grizzl-E EVSE Review: positive !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

I recently sold my Clipper Creek EVSE to a forum member and bought a Grizzl-E instead. This in no way reflects poorly on Clipper but was mostly from my desire to have a 40 Amp EVSE instead of the 32 Amps I had, and a hope to integrate the new EVSE into a smart home network in the near future.

So far the Grizzl-E is meeting and exceeding expectations.
A lot of thought was put into the fit and finish, the installation experience, and the user manual. I very much appreciate these details, and I like the aesthetic, metal product. VERY well done.

I bought the premium cable. When winter comes around I'll see if it lives up to its billing as staying pliable in the cold.

Last but perhaps not least: the connector has two nice touches:
1, the safety latch is metal instead of plastic. That should be standard on *any* EVSE, particularly those in public use.
2, the connector inserts into the car port easily and securely. Hooray for tight manufacturing tolerances.

My single criticism is the connector holster. It has holes that might let water in since it is installed outside. The Grizzl folks may have anticipated my concern by attaching a rubber cap to the connector, perhaps to be used in the winter. I may build a small 'roof' for the holster.

The product comes with a 3 year warranty, and that can be extended to 5 years for an additional small cost if desired. It is less expensive than the Clipper or the Enel products, and combined with a tax credit it is surely a better value than rebadged, no-name Chinese generics.

:: two thumbs up ::

I put one in three months ago, also with premium cable. Only complaint is main power cable is very short—but it appears to be very short for most chargers. Possibly due to regulation, but I know at least one major brand has a longer one.

Anyway no issues. It’s set to 40 amps but my two cars do 3.3 or 6.6 kW. It’s a nice looking unit and the connector feels nice, too. Would buy again.

Remember you should be able to claim 30% on federal tax return.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Only complaint is main power cable is very short—but it appears to be very short for most chargers.
Yep, it is a regulation.

I made the mistake of placing the EVSE to the left of my receptacle and also found the cable to be ***juuust*** long enough.
If I had paid attention to the EVSE placement it would not have been a problem.

I've had mine since January, and have had no complaints with it. I went with the extra-long cable, passing it through a hole in the garage door frame, and mounting the plug hook sideways on a cable hanger I fabricated, mounted on the wall behind a bush.

I had to change out the supply cable, replacing it with a 30A 4-prong, for an electric clothes dryer, in order to avoid having a 50A socket installed on a 30A circuit. That gave me a bit more length, which is good, since the electrician had oriented the socket 180 degrees from what would have been ideal for its position relative to the unit, and there was no easy way to flip it.

Detaching and reattaching the cables on a Grizzl-E is relatively simple and straightforward, and even if I hadn't had to do so, I'd have still opened the cover just to verify that the maximum charge rate had been factory-set as requested (it was).

You can find my own story (with pictures) at https://grizzl-e.com/testimonials/

Back